**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

I apologize if this has already been asked, but i admit i did not read all 115 pages of posts.

We are looking to cruise next September and will be flying into Seattle a couple of days early. we want to rent a Jeep Wrangler and drop it off in Vancouver - but cant seem to find a rental agency that offers this specific vehicle with these pick up and drop off locations.

i was thinking that being this area is known for its "outdoorsiness" that this wouldn't be a problem. any locals know anywhere i could check?

Try asking this question on the Seattle thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2838598

FYI - one way rentals can be very costly when renting in Seattle and dropping off in Vancouver. Keep in mind you are crossing borders and that could be why you are having a problem.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but i admit i did not read all 115 pages of posts.

We are looking to cruise next September and will be flying into Seattle a couple of days early. we want to rent a Jeep Wrangler and drop it off in Vancouver - but cant seem to find a rental agency that offers this specific vehicle with these pick up and drop off locations.

i was thinking that being this area is known for its "outdoorsiness" that this wouldn't be a problem. any locals know anywhere i could check?

Are you also flying back home from Seattle? I was looking into one way rentals last year, but found it was much less expensive to just keep the car (parked it at YVR (Vancouver) cheap!) and drive back to Seattle. Of course, flying back out of Seattle is most likely less expensive too. Your requirement of a specific vehicle makes it that much tougher. I remember that some agencies wouldn't show vehicles as available if doing a one-way, yet they were available for round trips.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I just wanted to double check whether the personal entitlement limits for alcohol when entering Canada are per person or per family. Thanks!!

Our family of 5 will be in Vancouver from June 29-July 1. If possible, we'd like to find a place that has a refrigerator and microwave. I was interested in trying to bid on a place near Yaletown, but it looks like Hotwire and Priceline won't let me search for units that accommodate a family of 5. Is there a website that allows a person to bid on a room/suite for 5? If not, any hotel suggestions that are near Yaletown? (Our "kids" are 21, 16 and 13.) Other suggestions for alternate locations are welcome too! :)

Thanks to the DISers, as always, for starting this awesome thread! We are booked to travel to Alaska in 2013 (about a year and a month from today)...so let the planning begin.

2011 Alaska cruisers - when were you able to start booking a hotel stay for Vancouver? I am definitely on-board with the idea of using Hotwire or Priceline, but have never done so before. You've given me such great tips in this thread...would love any info you can offer so we get a good deal at the right time. Our cruise leaves Monday, July 1, 2013 - and we'll likely be arriving on Friday, June 28.

Assuming we have three nights in Vancouver...what are your must-do activities? It will be just DH and myself, so restaurant recommendations for foodies, outdoor excursions, etc. are all welcome. Right now I'm thinking of taking in Grouse Mountain for a day...but the planning has just begun.

Assuming we have three nights in Vancouver...what are your must-do activities? It will be just DH and myself, so restaurant recommendations for foodies, outdoor excursions, etc. are all welcome. Right now I'm thinking of taking in Grouse Mountain for a day...but the planning has just begun.

We love the Vancouver Aquarium, and, if you're willing to head out to Richmond (or stop off on your way from the airport), the International Buddhist Temple Gardens in Richmond are another favorite. The new museum out by UBC is great too, I've heard, but I've never been.

We love the Vancouver Aquarium, and, if you're willing to head out to Richmond (or stop off on your way from the airport), the International Buddhist Temple Gardens in Richmond are another favorite. The new museum out by UBC is great too, I've heard, but I've never been.

Buddhist Temple Gardens sound super-cool! Aquarium might be skippable, though, as being from Philly we are within driving distance of both the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ and the National Aquarium in Baltimore (both cool if you ever wind u on the east coast!). What specific sights should we hit in Stanley Park and/or Granville Island...?

Buddhist Temple Gardens sound super-cool! Aquarium might be skippable, though, as being from Philly we are within driving distance of both the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ and the National Aquarium in Baltimore (both cool if you ever wind u on the east coast!). What specific sights should we hit in Stanley Park and/or Granville Island...?

If you're interested in totem poles, they have a bunch of neat ones in Stanley Park, and there are various gardens. There's also a neat little train, and as mentioned, the aquarium.

Granville Island I'm not as familiar with.

You'll love the Buddhist Temple Gardens--it's not a well-known attraction, but when relatives took us there a few years ago, I walked around with my mouth dropped open the whole time--it was my favorite thing. Be aware, though, that parts of the garden may not be photographed, as this is a real, working Buddhist temple (some of our relatives are members.)

You also might be interested in Richmond in general--picture a city-sized Chinatown. The dim sum is the best in North America.

If you're spending a day in the city of Vancouver, I definitely suggest the Hop-on-Hop-Off Trolley tours in Vancouver.

We spent part of Memorial day weekend there, and it was a great way to see and learn about the city. Stanley Park had ridiculous traffic, and buses and trolleys have their own lane, which made the trip up to the aquarium from the entrance 15 minutes instead of 30-45.

The drivers were entertaining and informative, and we learned a lot about the city. The staff seemed very well organized in making sure that enough trolleys were running.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

Our family of 5 will be in Vancouver from June 29-July 1. If possible, we'd like to find a place that has a refrigerator and microwave. I was interested in trying to bid on a place near Yaletown, but it looks like Hotwire and Priceline won't let me search for units that accommodate a family of 5. Is there a website that allows a person to bid on a room/suite for 5? If not, any hotel suggestions that are near Yaletown? (Our "kids" are 21, 16 and 13.) Other suggestions for alternate locations are welcome too! :)

Hi there, I live just a short ferry ride outside of Vancouver so welcome to my city! Keep in mind that July 1 is Canada day, so like the 4th of july, will be very busy with people, parades, etc. and hotel accomodations will be harder to come by, and higher priced so the sooner you can book the better. somewhere we have stayed and have been very happy is The Century Plaza hotel and spa on Burrard Street. It is right next door to a hospital I have to attend some time for my cancer treatments thus the reason for our stays. They have very spacious suites with small kitchens, are very clean and modern. And it is easy walking distance to downtown, and short taxi rides away from places like Granville island and Stanley Park. they are located very near Yale town if not right in it. They also have a good restaurant. they are also right across the street from The Sheraton Wall Center where there are more good restaurants. A trip through Gas Town is very cool, and when you go to Granville island there are little ferry's you can take to get aroung and one place to stop is to see the Vancouver museum, Maritime museum and Planetarium which are all together in Vanier Park. And of course the Museum of Anthropology out at University of BC is amazing!! but a bit more of a drive from the downtown area.

I highly recommend the Landsea Tours in Vancouver. We chose this over the hop-on hop-off tour. It was definitely worth the money.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

We did the North Shore tour in the morning (Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain) and the Vancouver tour in the late afternoon/evening. It was a wonderful way to spend our free day in Vancouver before the cruise. If we had another day, we would have taken another Landsea Tour to either Whistler or Victoria.

Our driver/guide was wonderful! He truly loved his job -- We learned so much! He picked us up from our hotel (Fairmont Waterfront). At the end of the North Shore tour, he dropped us off at a restaurant for lunch and then came back for us to begin the downtown Vancouver tour.

One of the highlights of our pre-cruise day in Vancouver was to rent bikes and ride around Stanley Park. If its a nice day, its a lot of fun...

2011 Alaska cruisers - when were you able to start booking a hotel stay for Vancouver? I am definitely on-board with the idea of using Hotwire or Priceline, but have never done so before. You've given me such great tips in this thread...would love any info you can offer so we get a good deal at the right time. Our cruise leaves Monday, July 1, 2013 - and we'll likely be arriving on Friday, June 28.

We booked the Pan Pacific with a AAA discount first to ensure we had a room there. I think it was May before we found the room on Hotwire for 1/2 the price (we sailed in late August).

One of the highlights of our pre-cruise day in Vancouver was to rent bikes and ride around Stanley Park. If its a nice day, its a lot of fun...

This kind of afternoon is definitely up our alley! Are there places to rent bikes right in the park?

We rented bikes near the Pan Pacific. There are several places along that street that rent bikes. It was easy to get to Stanley Park from there.

This kind of afternoon is definitely up our alley! Are there places to rent bikes right in the park?

Very close to the entrance. If you Google: Spokes Vancouver, you'll get the idea. Spokes isn't the only place, and they're probably slightly more expensive, but they're very good.

We did too!! Had a ball. Go early it gets very crowded. We stayed at the Coastal Coal Harbor. Very reasonable and only a block off the water. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were spotless!!

renting bikes was one of our highlights as well. We also loved the suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain.

We did too!! Had a ball. Go early it gets very crowded. We stayed at the Coastal Coal Harbor. Very reasonable and only a block off the water. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were spotless!!

Very cool! Sounds like I really need to just start keeping my eyes peeled for good deals on any nice hotels in the downtown area near Canada Place. I'm thinking if I look hard enough I can find something for $150/night or less...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter