• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vancouver & Family of 5

dad of 3 addicted to DCL

Love me some DCL
With 3 kids (13, 11 & 11) it's really hard to find a hotel to accommodate us all in 1 room. When we sail out of PC, the Country Inn & Suites is a great deal (we usually stay in Port Orange for cheaper prices and shorter first day drive from VA).

The problem I'm continually banging my head on the brick wall is to find a hotel in Vancouver for out 8/20/18 sailing. We're looking at flying in on 8/16-17 to experience Vancouver. There's the Park Inn & Suites and...?

Anyone else out there with solutions/experience? Many thanks in advance

We stayed at the Times Square Suites in a Large 2-bedroom and there was plenty of room for 5. There is a queen in one bedroom, a king in the second bedroom (but it can be separated into 2 twins) and a sofa bed in the living room.

The price was definitely reasonable if you compare it to having to get two rooms at another hotel.

We loved the hotel and the location (right by Stanley Park) but you have to go into it knowing you aren't booking it for the view and it might be noisy. We all sleep with earplugs when travelling anyway so noise was not an issue for us, and we rarely noticed anything during the day.

ETA: The full kitchen, Safeway across the street and the laundry right in the room was a huge bonus for us :)

Last edited:
We are also a family of five (also from VA!) and are doing some preliminary planning for an Alaskan cruise as well. My suggestion would be to email some hotels directly to see if they'd accommodate 5. I recently did that and found a couple that would, even though their website reflected a max of 4. One I can specifically remember was Blue Horizon, which seems to get high praise on this board. I've also looked into Times Square Suites and would definitely consider that option as well, with the only drawback(s) for us being no central air conditioning and the (reportedly) loud street traffic. Even so, I wouldn't hesitate booking there based on Trip Advisor reviews and the commentary from others here.

We used the Family Package at the Pan Pacific that gave 50% off a second room, free breakfast, WiFi and a free movie and snacks for the kids. Our rooms were connecting and it was so easy to get on the ship.

We put 5 in our room at the Sheraton Wall Centre. I think it listed a capacity of 4. There was plenty of room and it's a nice hotel in the heart of downtown Vancouver.

If you search SPG's website and put in 2 adults and 3 children, the Sheraton Wall Centre has Family Suites available with 1 King + 2 twins. However, if I were the OP, I would put down a refundable deposit ASAP if that's where the OP wanted to be, as I imagine they don't have tons of these rooms available.

We got a Premier Corner room at the Pan Pacific with two double beds and added a rollaway. Had to book with the hotel directly to get the rollaway. My kids were younger so we fit in two doubles LOL. Given the age of your kids this may not be an option. PS I booked far in advance and got a good rate. And of course - the view of the port! :)

Not sure about capacity, but Century Plaza has big suites.

Le Grande Residence at Sutton has condo-like living spaces. Might not be a bargain during cruise/summer season, but check it out.

I just went to hotels.com, put in 2 adults and 3 kids of those ages and got a list of hotels that can accommodate. I didn't put in your dates, though.

We stayed at the Pan Pacific last June. We booked a premium room and got a roll away. It was a corner room and was HUGE. the beds including the rollaway were amazing. The view of the harbor on two sides spectacular! Call and ask for a cruise special. Also if you go down to the bellman and ask they will give you a card to call the morning of the cruise. Call between the hours listed and they pick up your bags and take them to the ship no dragged them down to a porter. It's free except for whatever you tip them.

The pool is amazing and you board right below the hotel. We booked somewhere roomier ans a little less expensive but my dad insisted we stay at the Pan Pacific. I had myself and (DD 15, DS 15, DD 9, DS 9) DS 15 fought to sleep on the rollaway. DH and DD 3 joined us later in a regular room with other family members.

Also if you plan to walk around you can't beat the location. Gas Town is close, so is the Olympic Torch. My sister walked to the park along the water (good walk). The hop on hop off bus is right there too.

We are usually Comfort suites or residence inn family due to our size and budget except for disney (were are DVC members).

The Pan Pacific was such a great way to start our cruise.

Good Luck!

We stayed at Rosellen Suites this past August. It is condo-style accommodations so there is a kitchen for preparing meals. There were 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a dining room, and a living room with a Murphy bed. It's in a leafy residential neighbourhood so doesn't really feel like a hotel. It's only one block south of Stanley Park and we loved the location - we walked most places each day. It was great as it felt like we were actually living in Vancouver for a few days. The only issue we had was getting a cab for 5 people - we ended up having to take two cabs to the port.

going to booking.com and putting in 5 adults w/ 3 kids in USD for ideas on a Pre-cruise night....
  • $240 Barclay w/ 2 rooms
  • $244 Best Western Plus Sands w/ Family room
  • $345 Auberge w/ King Suite » 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $505 Days Inn Vancouver Downtown
  • $520 Rosedale w/ two deluxe suites
  • $522 Wall Centre w/ Family Suite in South Tower
  • $554 Holiday Inn Downtown w/ suite double rooms
  • $664 Westin Bayshore Executive Suite
  • $679 Hampton Inn » fav for Hilton collectors
  • $916 Hyatt Regency with a Triple room or Quadruple Room?
  • $947 Delta King Suite or Queen Suite
  • $949 ShangriLa Family Room or Double Room
  • $1026 Pinnacle Harbourfront
  • $1066 Marriott Pinnacle
  • $1216 Rosewood
  • $1216 Pan Pacific Family Room » sleep above the cruise terminal
  • $1382 Fairmont Pacific Rim Quadruple Room
  • $489 Richmond Raddison Vancouver Airport
YWCA for Aug20 pre-cruise $168 for their Quint room

If I was in your situation.... I strongly recommend securing the Quint room ASAP for your trip. Downtown location and great price. August is high season and that room will not last.

We are from VA too and on the same cruise.

Delta suites (Marriott) has max capacity of 6. You can get two queens and a sofa bed. We are staying there (using Marriott and spg points).

Last edited:
No idea what it is. Just hopped over to check it out. Very interesting. With the quality of public transportation, this could be a viable option. Will talk to the boss...er, I mean DW about it. :)

Wise man!

My husband and I just used Airbnb this last summer in Chicago and loved it. I’m considering it for my family next year in Vancouver. Our problem is a little different - only 4 of us but our kids are in their 20s. They’ve outgrown sharing a bed and Hubs and I would prefer our own room.

Happy planning!

We stayed at the Times Square Suites in a Large 2-bedroom and there was plenty of room for 5. There is a queen in one bedroom, a king in the second bedroom (but it can be separated into 2 twins) and a sofa bed in the living room.

The price was definitely reasonable if you compare it to having to get two rooms at another hotel.

We loved the hotel and the location (right by Stanley Park) but you have to go into it knowing you aren't booking it for the view and it might be noisy. We all sleep with earplugs when travelling anyway so noise was not an issue for us, and we rarely noticed anything during the day.

ETA: The full kitchen, Safeway across the street and the laundry right in the room was a huge bonus for us :)

I second the vote for Times Square Suites. Price was great, location was awesome for renting bikes for Stanley Park, nice walk to sea wall area. We stayed this past July and loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter