Values, Mods, Deluxes, Oh my!

es45

DIS Veteran
Yes, it's another "help decide where to stay." I shamelessly ask you all to help me spend my money!

We are a POP family. Love, love that resort. My DH and I don't like to pay much for a room where we only lay our heads. The theming is perfect for our DD8 and DD6.

However, our family will next travel to WDW after a 4-day DCL cruise with the grandmothers. One has never been to Disney (can you believe it?!?) and another (the Disney nut) hasn't been since EPCOT opened. Both mothers have some trouble walking distances. We will spend 2 days on-site: 1 at the resort and 1 at MK. We will have a car. We can't do our usual commando-style park trip.

So here it is, where should we stay? We need a place with nice atmosphere for the resort day. We need a place with elevators. We would like a resort that has family activities or something for the children (like the cookie decorating and crafts at WL). We want a decent pool just in case the weather is nice enough that our fish-of-a-daughter can enjoy (she likes the look of POFQ's pool). My DH and I will be paying for the rooms (2). I admit that I'm a cheap-skate but I don't want the grandmothers to stay at a place that is too noisy for them or too much walking to the public areas. I worry that POP doesn't have any relaxing areas for the resort day; that POFQ is too worn (from reports I've read); and WL is just too darned expensive for what you get.

We were planning on POP until my mother received a room-only pin code.
Our choices: POP (of course), $75/per night, per room
POFQ, $103/pn, pr
WL, $177/pn, pr

Thanks to all who reply.

We will be staying at French Quarter for the first time this coming September, I hear that one is very nice and quaint and smaller so less walking.
We had dinner at Whispering Canyon @ Wilderness Lodge this past September and it was beautiful! Looked kinda big though...
Sounds like you guys are like us... we don't focus too much on the resort because we're only sleeping and showering there! When the budget allows, we do trying something new (I'd like to stay at least once at each hotel) but, when it doesn't allow... I'm all over value resorts! As long as I'm in Disney I'M HAPPY!!! :banana:
I would suggest French Quarter...

Personally, I would go with WL as that resort is truly amazing and definitely worth an extra $70/nt over POFQ IMO.

This resort really has the WOW factor, is very relaxing and has the boat ride over to MK (for your MK day).

So sweet of you to be so considerate of the grandmothers! :goodvibes

I would go with FQ -although would have the same concerns that it is time for a refurb.

WL is a huge resort, so it could mean long walks down the hall to your room location...and that resort was last refurbed in 2006 = my friend stayed there and said her room was in terrible condition.

How old are the grandmothers? I am a 62 yr old grandmother and stay at every level of resort -enjoy all for different reasons. :) Walking not an issue. Even at POP nothing is too far, but it could be the noisiest. What about CBR? Very quiet, no elevators but only 2 floors.

Happy planning

How old are the grandmothers? I am a 62 yr old grandmother and stay at every level of resort -enjoy all for different reasons. :) Walking not an issue. Even at POP nothing is too far, but it could be the noisiest. What about CBR? Very quiet, no elevators but only 2 floors.

Disney-nut Grandma is 68 and has a fairly serious heart condition (no Space Mountain for her!) and Nana is 78 with a failing back. I'll look at CBR again but I was worried about how spread out it would be from the reports I've read. I hope they'll be rested from the resort day so that they can enjoy MK.

That's a hard call. Have you checked other resorts too?

Since you'll spend a day at the resort, I would go for one a bit fancier than POP. I can't see that POP would be too appealing for the grandmothers as you describe them.

Disney-nut Grandma is 68 and has a fairly serious heart condition (no Space Mountain for her!) and Nana is 78 with a failing back. I'll look at CBR again but I was worried about how spread out it would be from the reports I've read. I hope they'll be rested from the resort day so that they can enjoy MK.

Yes, then CBR might be too spread out. Hmm...it's a difficult call. Even at FQ the room can be the opposite end of the bldg from the elevator...but you could call special needs, explain the medical needs and ask if they could possibly have a room assigned on the first floor, near the lobby.

407-939-7807 #1. They can be amazingly helpful when it is a medical situation.

(At CBR you could reserved a preferred location)

Well, our personal favorite is POR, we ONLY stay there. But, it is very spread out. You can make room requests but they are not guaranteed, but we have never had a problem with this. They do have a building that is close to the front, very close, and that would be possible.?

We LOVE POR for many reasons, some of the highlights are:
* The free boatride you can take to DTD- It is so relaxing, even if you just take it to go there and back, it is so nice! The kids love it too!
* There are several pools at POR, one does have a waterslide, AND you can use the pools at POFQ (you can ride the boat back and forth)
* They have a playground.
* They have fishing, biking, surrey bikes, boat rentals, carriage rides, and a kids Pirate Bayou or something like that. (kids thing is like $20 per kid and they get to go on the boat around some resorts for a treasure hunt, includes lunch and they are gone 2 hrs I think, pretty cool!)
* The food at the food court actually is good.
* The rooms are nicely themed and te Aligator Bayou section has trudle beds.
* The resort is beautiful, so nicely well kept, many photo areas, friendly, happy atmosphere.

So, thats about POR.
BTW, I have many back problems, although pretty young, I find it not too crazy hard to walk back and forth from the room to the front and there are several bus stops, you can look at a map and call with building requests. Explain why. It really is a resort that we can all have a great time.

That's a hard call. Have you checked other resorts too?

Since you'll spend a day at the resort, I would go for one a bit fancier than POP. I can't see that POP would be too appealing for the grandmothers as you describe them.

I have checked other resorts and chose WL for deluxe because it had the most affordable rate. AKL is an option too, if I can convince hubby to stay there (he thinks that it is too far out). I'm open to other moderates, I just chose POFQ because it seemed the smallest. Now that I've written this (and seen a few responses, I think POP is out of consideration.) I'm really hoping for a nice trip for everyone.

Having stayed at nearly all resorts....if needing a scooter is at all in your realm of posibility - I'd highly suggest the Contemporary.

It is by a considerable margin the easiest resort if someone has trouble walking/limited mobility.

In your case, I DO NOT suggest POR - the main bus stop can be a total mob scene. For two elderly ladies, I would take the nice queues at the values over POR. The other mods' bus stops aren't as bad...but all except POFQ are huge. Lots of extra walking.

If CR is out of your price range, then I think WL is a good choice. It is not as convenient as CR, but the pool is cute. It also has some very good dining.

At either resort, if you want a fun evening activity - you could consider Hoop de Doo. Or maybe book a fine dinner in the area.

At a CR tower room- consider- you can go from your room to any dining on the monorail loop almost without having to step outside. The elevators at CR are great, and getting on the monorial is easy. Even the other monorail loop resorts require going up and down and outside to get to the main building.

While CR is not my ultimate favorite themed pool, it has LOTS of resort activities to choose from - including the free shuttle boats to WL/Ft. WL. Every day the resort has different things to do: volleyball, movies, crafts, - those are free, and there is boating for a fee. CR also has a nice quick serve place to dine, much better than WL's quick serve. Neither has Pop's food court, but CR is wide open.

If you are going to go with a mod, POFQ is compact, but has a small food court. CSR abd CBR have great pools, excellent food courts. If you want one of those two - pick based on which theming your group prefers.

Remind DL that it's only two nights. :)

I would suggest CBR. You can request a first floor (got a 50/50 shot). Even though it's spread out, you can take the internal shuttle to get to OPR for dining and shopping. Hardly any walking. BECAUSE it's spread out- the bus stops are not too busy, the quiet pools are peaceful, and the beaches are relaxing.

Happy Planning!

but you could call special needs, explain the medical needs and ask if they could possibly have a room assigned on the first floor, near the lobby.

407-939-7807 #1. They can be amazingly helpful when it is a medical situation.

I second this suggestion! My dad went with us while in the middle of an intense round of chemotherapy. You wouldn't know it to look at him that he was sick; he was able-bodied but pretty weak and not able to walk long distances without tiring easily. We stayed at ASMu and requested a first floor room for him, near to Guest Services, when we booked with our TA. When we arrived, they had him in Country Fair (all the way at the back of the resort) in a second-floor room! I explained the situation (can't drive a scooter up the steps!) and they immediately put him in a first-floor handicapped accessible room in one of the first buildings. The accessible room wasn't necessary, but they assured me that no one else needed the room and he was welcome to it. The CM's were super-accommodating and even helped him find his rental scooter and greeted him personally several times throughout our stay. It was really nice. I was pleased to see that customer service extended even down to the value resorts.

Good luck with whatever you decide -- but don't hesitate to explain the situation to those who can help.

I'd pick WL if I were you, it's a beautiful resort, quiet and peaceful, yet close enough to MK and the Contemporary to make you feel like you're right in the middle of everything! They have the boat to MK, which I think is almost as good as having the monorail, and the restaurants are really good!

I would pick WL, it's a beautiful resort, we've stayed twice. Our rooms were great, it has a nice pool and slide, beach where they show movies at night, when we were there in Aug., lots of activities for the kids in the afternoon by the pool, can watch the Electric Water Parade in the evening on the beach or dock, and the boat to MK.
I don't think it's any further walking down a hall then walking from one building to the main building or pool at POFQ. In fact, prob. closer. You can request a room near an elevator. Our room last time was near the elevator by Roaring Forks on the 6th floor. Very convienent to go down to pool, or fill up our mugs. Also close to boat dock.

I would go with the Wilderness Lodge out of your choices. I think it would be the funnest for spending a day at the resort. The pool is gorgeous.

Off your list, I would definitely recommend trying to convince your DH to stay at AKL. Yeah it may be a little further away from the Magic Kingdom, but it's gorgeous and I'm sure the grandmothers would love sitting on the rocking chairs watching for animals.
If you get a Pool View room you're pretty much guaranteed to be close to the elevators, the eating areas and the lobby. I would recommend requesting a room on the fourth floor though, because I can imagine anything lower would be a bit noisy.

Oh I guess also, the Wilderness Lodge would be beneficial because you could just take the boat to the Magic Kingdom.
If you drive from anywhere else, you'll have to park at the Ticket and Transportation Center. Obviously you could take the bus from the other locations, but it may be slightly less convenient.

Animal Kingdom Lodge also has activities throughout the day.

I would go with POFQ, as it is a smallish resort and has elevators. We stayed there this past July, and the rooms didn't look at all worn to me. I thought the resort looked great.:thumbsup2

When you look at the CBR again, know this...you can book a preferred location at the CBR. This way, you are guaranteed a room near Old Port Royale (main pool, marina, store, food court, restaurant, etc.). We've stayed there four years in a row and have already booked our 5th stay there. In 2009, we were in a preferred location (Martinique 26) and our walk to Old Port Royale was about 2 minutes. Super close.

I have pictures of the rooms and the resort in my trip report. Just click on the link below to have a look around.

Wilderness Lodge would be a good choice for you because of the boat to MK and 3 restaurant options.

Do not drive to the MK. You will have less walking using the WL boat or a bus from another resort, as it drops you off closer to the entrance than the transportation and ticket center.

How about a monorail resort? Poly, CR

We love POFQ. We've been there twice now, and will likely go a third time with DH's parents over Thanksgiving 2010. I love how small and quaint it is. Even big kids like the pool! We love taking the riverboats to Downtown Disney- Earl of Sandwich is our favorite!

We're considering other resorts this time, and we may let the parents choose which MOD they would like to stay at. They are frugal and I can't see them springing for the POLY or GF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter