Value vs. Moderates

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by cocofifi, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Lindaland

Lindaland DIS Veteran

I think it comes down to how much park time you will be having. If you like to spend your days in the park until they close, then go for the Pop and get an extra day. If you like to have resort time and lounge by the pool going to the parks now and then, I would stay at POR.

We are the type that like to have park time so we stay at the values. And I just cant wrap my head around paying extra for things I wont use, (thats just drinking money!!). Also we stayed at the Pop the last 2 visits and the bus stops were covered and had benches. Its also fun to walk around the resort and look at the decorations.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

Before posting I should have asked how many are in your party? If there are four of you then POR would be better because of queen beds. If there are only two of you (like my son and I) than you will do fine at pop with double beds. I love both pop and POR. Both my fave for different reasons. Good luck deciding.

4. KELLY

KELLY DIS Veteran

I always pick longer even if it is only a day. We are 4 and are going for 14 nights staying at pop. So the room size isn't a issue the beds don't bother us. My girls share and dh and I share. With all that said those POR royal rooms look really nice. But we have stayed at all levels so I could say we have been there done that. Pop works great for us now. For us to upgrade to a moderate is over 1200.00 that is 1/3rd of another trip or almost all of our spending money.

5. Steph2527

Steph2527 DIS Veteran

AOA has its own buses :)

6. SarahKate

SarahKate DIS Veteran

We've stayed at POP 3x and POR 2x, with our last trip in a Royal themed room.

I don't think we could ever go back to POP after having stayed 2x in a row at POR. Don't get me wrong, POP is a GREAT resort and we had nothing but positive experiences there. But the feel of POR is just different. It's more laid back, not as noisy/chaotic (EXCEPT for the dining hall, of course!). We love POR for sooooo many reasons.

My only thing about our last POR trip was with our location. The Royal rooms are at a higher cost, but it felt like we had quite a trek to the main building. Also, the room is very, very cool. For about the first day. After that it becomes a room. Not to discourage anyone, but the novelty can wear off quickly. On our first POR trip, we stayed in Building 85 and this was AWESOME. We were on the first floor, right next to the parking lot, quiet pool, laundry and bus stop. We were also right next to the bridge to Ol' Man's Island that takes you to the main building and it was a pretty short walk. We loved the walk on the island in the morning.....so pretty.

I think on our next trip we will forego the Royal room and get a "regular" preferred room in that same building/area.

If you don't think you'll have ANY resort time to relax, then by all means use that extra day and stay at POP. But if you want to get in a little relaxation, POR is where it's at. POP is really not a relaxing resort by any stretch!

7. bookgirl

bookgirl DIS Veteran

I prefer mods to values, but I added days last trip and it was more cost effective to add value stays to the trip so I ended up doing a split stay. I am fine with value so if that was how I could afford the trip I would totally do a value stay.

However I don't know that I would be able to handle 8 days in a value. I liked split stays and I've done two of them, but if I was going to be there and only do one resort, I'd pick 7days POR. 3 or 4 days is about my max at a value.

8. Dallas_Lady

Dallas_Lady I only work for the vacation money

If the values had queen beds and covered bus stops we would stay there. DH and I can't squeeze into a full and i don't want to stand out in the hot sun waiting for buses in one bug line with everyone else. I like the little covered bus stops at the mods and now that there are 4 of us we need queen beds.

9. Kristibo42

Kristibo42 DIS Veteran

But you can always go there and do that stuff. We always go over and take the boat. And you can eat at any of the resorts.

10. Missymouse18

Missymouse18 Mousketeer

POP, for sure. Maybe if I ever "grow up," which is unlikely, I will want to stay at a resort for reasons other than sleeping and showering. But for now, while I am still in my 40's, I prefer to play in the parks all day.:thumbsup2

11. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken DIS Veteran

Wouldn't it even out with having to buy an extra day at a park if staying value. If it were me I would do POR..... The values don't appeal to me.

12. mommyarewegoingback

mommyarewegoingback DIS Veteran

Wow, now I feel old ;). I'm 42 and well, I enjoy the resort as well as the parks. We go go go all the time at home, and we like to relax a little at the resort these days, especially between lunch and dinner.