Value vs. Moderates

I think it comes down to how much park time you will be having. If you like to spend your days in the park until they close, then go for the Pop and get an extra day. If you like to have resort time and lounge by the pool going to the parks now and then, I would stay at POR.

We are the type that like to have park time so we stay at the values. And I just cant wrap my head around paying extra for things I wont use, (thats just drinking money!!). Also we stayed at the Pop the last 2 visits and the bus stops were covered and had benches. Its also fun to walk around the resort and look at the decorations.

Before posting I should have asked how many are in your party? If there are four of you then POR would be better because of queen beds. If there are only two of you (like my son and I) than you will do fine at pop with double beds. I love both pop and POR. Both my fave for different reasons. Good luck deciding.

I always pick longer even if it is only a day. We are 4 and are going for 14 nights staying at pop. So the room size isn't a issue the beds don't bother us. My girls share and dh and I share. With all that said those POR royal rooms look really nice. But we have stayed at all levels so I could say we have been there done that. Pop works great for us now. For us to upgrade to a moderate is over 1200.00 that is 1/3rd of another trip or almost all of our spending money.

I have stayed at both POP and POR and although I loved them both, I would choose POP over POR. We found that there was an awful lot of walking at POR to the bus stops or the main dinning hall. POP didn't seem that bad when it came to walking and we stayed at the furthest building from the food court/buses. POP had so many pools to choose from and I felt like there was only 1 main pool at POR. Also, I believe the rooms at POP were renovated recently (maybe 2010). We stayed at POP 3 years in a row because of the savings, new rooms, awesome food court, really nice gift shop and mainly because you didn't have to share a bus with another resort (that might of changed with the new AoA?) Anyways, POP has always been a favorite for us and quite frankly it feels more like a moderate resort for the price of a value. Happy planning!

AOA has its own buses :)

We've stayed at POP 3x and POR 2x, with our last trip in a Royal themed room.

I don't think we could ever go back to POP after having stayed 2x in a row at POR. Don't get me wrong, POP is a GREAT resort and we had nothing but positive experiences there. But the feel of POR is just different. It's more laid back, not as noisy/chaotic (EXCEPT for the dining hall, of course!). We love POR for sooooo many reasons.

My only thing about our last POR trip was with our location. The Royal rooms are at a higher cost, but it felt like we had quite a trek to the main building. Also, the room is very, very cool. For about the first day. After that it becomes a room. Not to discourage anyone, but the novelty can wear off quickly. On our first POR trip, we stayed in Building 85 and this was AWESOME. We were on the first floor, right next to the parking lot, quiet pool, laundry and bus stop. We were also right next to the bridge to Ol' Man's Island that takes you to the main building and it was a pretty short walk. We loved the walk on the island in the morning.....so pretty.

I think on our next trip we will forego the Royal room and get a "regular" preferred room in that same building/area.

If you don't think you'll have ANY resort time to relax, then by all means use that extra day and stay at POP. But if you want to get in a little relaxation, POR is where it's at. POP is really not a relaxing resort by any stretch!

Won't you please join me in beating this dead horse? Would you rather spend 8 nights at Pop or 7 nights at a POR royal room? I realize this is purely subjective, but it's fun to hear opinions of others. Thanks in advance for humoring me while I obsess over ridiculous details.

I prefer mods to values, but I added days last trip and it was more cost effective to add value stays to the trip so I ended up doing a split stay. I am fine with value so if that was how I could afford the trip I would totally do a value stay.

However I don't know that I would be able to handle 8 days in a value. I liked split stays and I've done two of them, but if I was going to be there and only do one resort, I'd pick 7days POR. 3 or 4 days is about my max at a value.

If the values had queen beds and covered bus stops we would stay there. DH and I can't squeeze into a full and i don't want to stand out in the hot sun waiting for buses in one bug line with everyone else. I like the little covered bus stops at the mods and now that there are 4 of us we need queen beds.

That is my usual response, but since you are staying a week either way (kinda) I would go for POR just to have the boat to DTD and the build your own pasta at the food court!

But you can always go there and do that stuff. We always go over and take the boat. And you can eat at any of the resorts.

POP, for sure. Maybe if I ever "grow up," which is unlikely, I will want to stay at a resort for reasons other than sleeping and showering. But for now, while I am still in my 40's, I prefer to play in the parks all day.:thumbsup2

Wouldn't it even out with having to buy an extra day at a park if staying value. If it were me I would do POR..... The values don't appeal to me.

POP, for sure. Maybe if I ever "grow up," which is unlikely, I will want to stay at a resort for reasons other than sleeping and showering. But for now, while I am still in my 40's, I prefer to play in the parks all day.:thumbsup2

Wow, now I feel old ;). I'm 42 and well, I enjoy the resort as well as the parks. We go go go all the time at home, and we like to relax a little at the resort these days, especially between lunch and dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter