Value vs. Moderate

Marsheliz

DIS Veteran
This may sound silly but are moderate rooms bigger than value rooms? I'm really leaning towards PoR but still thinking of AOA too... :( ( LM room) it looks about $350 cheaper to stay in value but.... The mods are so beautiful!

Yes moderates are bigger than values. Most moderates also have queen beds where as values have full size beds. If it weren't for the fact that we are a family of five I would still choose a value over a modern. I can do a lot with $350 and I love the cute theming of the value resorts.

Yeah you are right about the 350.00 and I like the cute themes too! Forgot about double beds too!

For me, I much prefer a mod to a value. The main key is the queen beds. There is no way my wife and I are going from a king bed to a full. Also, I much prefer the subtle theming at the moderates to the over the top theming of the values. Pool slides and more activities were also big contributors for my choosing a moderate.

We will always opt for a mod over a value. As PPs have noted, POR has larger rooms, bigger beds, nicer theming, better main pools, TS restaurant and boat to DTD. A big plus for us is also that the room has 2 sinks instead of just one- a huge plus when you're trying to get out the door in the morning.

Another big difference in mod. Over value is the grounds and landscaping. To me Value to moderate s a big step up, only you can answer it if is worth the extra money. Also, depending on time of year you are going, the Values often get tour groups, such as cheerleaders, pop Warner, etc.

I like both and it depends on the kind of trip I'm planning.

My husband and I took an anniversary trip last summer without the kids and stayed at ASMu. We were only there for 4 days and we planned to be in the parks everyday. We only used the pool one day, didn't have a dining plan so we didn't need a restaurant, and we wanted to go cheap since we are planning a trip with the kids this summer. Also, since it was 2 of us, we were able to get a king size room. We had a wonderful time!

This summer, we are planning a weeklong trip with our DS (13) and DD (9) so we need the extra space and sink at POR. Also, we are taking a day out of the parks to relax so we want a nicer pool with more water features. The DTD boat will be great for our relaxing day, too. We are hoping for a dining plan so we like the idea of having more choices for meals on site. And, DH and I cannot sleep in a full size bed so we need a resort with queens.

One of the biggest reasons why I like moderates over values is the busses. We like to stay at POFQ. The busses aren't nearly as crowded and the waits don't seem nearly as long as when we stayed at Pop or ASSp. More room, bigger beds, nicer landscaping and pool slides are a plus, too.

When our kids were younger we stayed at a value a few times as they got older we changed to the mod, then we moved on to the deluxes a few times and finally bought a DVC. The beds in the values are small and uncomfortable IMO,so if I were you I would go with the mod.

Good points everyone.. I didn't even think about the buses. Op is right about the buses being so crowded at values and didn't think about the two sinks! Thanks!

Both Port Orleans properties have the nicest renovated rooms I have ever seen! They certainly know how to do things right! :goodvibes

(One thing I would change - the bedspreads must weigh 50 pounds each. We take them off. I cannot deal with them on my ankles & legs.)

We've chosen AOA over a mod as looking at all the you tube vids, we prefer the styling of the AOA over all of the mods.

The only other properties that took our fancy was deluxe and was out if our price range.

And on a plus note AOA is the newest resort.

My family and I visited WDW for the first time in the first week of January.
We stayed the first two nights at AOA (LM-room) and moved to POFQ and stayed five nights in a 2 queen-bed garden view room.
I was really looking forward to stay at a moderate and seing the wonderful pics of FQ made me so excited! And don't get me wrong, I liked FQ.... but damn I missed AOA!! I cannot say a single bad thing about FQ, I just liked AOA better :p
I would not hesitate to recommend FQ, but for me, personally, AOA is more magical and more Disney-ish. And is where I would choose to stay again.
So I think it is very hard to say whether or not a mod is worth the extra money... I would choose AOA over any mod, anytime, no question! But that was not because I didn't like FQ. I liked having a bigger room, bigger bed and a hot-tub. But I did not feel like I was in the "Disney buble" when I was at FQ, like I did at AOA.
And about the buses. My experience with the buses was the oposite of what you usually hear. I felt that the buses at FQ were more crowded and it was "annoying" to share a bus with POR.

Think about what you value the most. Do you like big and colorful disney stuff in-your-face!? Can you imagine not going to the hot-tub after a long day in the parks? Is the size of the bed a big factor and how about the boat to DTD. Look at your needs and what you like. I think mods in general are more "stylish" and values are kind of "childish". Discounts is also a factor for me. We stayed at FQ because we could get the stay/play/dine deal, which was not offered at LM-rooms at AOA
Sorry for the long post... Just thought I would share my experince :) Hope you find the best option for you and your family!
(Btw... My grandma' (81-years old and in a wheelchair) liked FQ way better than AOA...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter