• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Value vs. Moderate??

We have stayed at all three levels and found for our family the mod level is just right...to borrow a line from goldilocks. Since you asked why mod over value, I will focus on that.

Others have offered great side by side comparison in room amenities, so I will not repeat. If room size is an issue, I would personally go with CBR. They have the largest mod rooms and frankly we felt the rooms felt bigger than WL because they are laid out better and they only have the full size beds. Queens at CSr sound great in theory, but remember they also will take up prime floor space.

We find that staying at a mod allows us to leave the parks and feel like we have returned to a relaxing resort to rest from the frantic pace of the parks. At the values we feel like we never leave the parks. We did not know this was valuable to us until we tried the various levels, but that is the number one reason we do mod over value.

We did CSR for our first trip last year. A family friend was there the next week at POP. Both families are mom, dad and DD5. After we got back we talked, and I decided that i had been right to go MOD. Here is my short list of why:

1. Queen beds at CSR

2. Covered bus stops

3. No screaming kids at all hours (they are not the first to tell us the values are full of kids running around) We only heard the people in the next room once the entire trip.

4. All around peaceful atmosphere. we need someplace to wind down that is relaxing and laid back after a 12 hour park day. CSR was great for that. I think I would have sill been wired at the POP with all the bright colors and noise. CSR we just serene. I think this is the biggie. A place to relax.

We will be doing CSR for this year's Nov. trip.

In my opinion, there are certain extras that make it worth staying at a Mod. I've stayed at ASMo 2x and CBR 2x. This past trip we were going to be staying at ASMu, then decided to move to CBR. We are park people -- we don't spend very much time at the resort, but found that there are a few things that make a difference. Of course, I can only speak about ASMo and CBR.

Pluses for Mods (CBR):

All of the bus stops at CBR are covered and have fans. All bus stops at ASMo are uncovered.

The rooms at CBR are bigger (260 sq ft vs 340 sq ft) and every foot of space makes a difference.

At mods the refrigerator is included in the price, so take that into consideration if you were going to be paying for one at POP.

Mods have two sinks, AS's and POP have one.

Mods have a curtain that separates sink area from rest of room, which makes multiple people getting ready at once more convenient.

CBR is centrally located. We were 3-5 minutes from DHS, 7-10 minutes from Epcot, 15 minutes from MK and AK and 20 minutes from DTD.

CBR has it's own buses -- doesn't share with other resorts.

Benefits of AS's and POP:

Bus stops are closer at most parks.

Food court is better than CBR.

Hope this helps.

I had read that the bus stops at the parks for the value resorts were the farthest away. Is that not true?

I had read that the bus stops at the parks for the value resorts were the farthest away. Is that not true?

I know for certain we were farther away at MK and AK. I believe that was also the case at DHS and Epcot, but honestly, we were running through a huge storm to get to the bus stop at Epcot, so I'm not 100% positive. Maybe someone else can tell us if my recollection re: DHS and Epcot is correct.

It depends on what you want and expect from your resort. Certainly the pools at the mods are MUCH nicer than the values - but that only matters if you'll actually be using the pool.

I also find it is just easier to have - say a coffeemaker and a fridge in your room. Those two things are almost worth the difference right there.

Time is money at WDW. Anything that makes your time more efficient helps.

One thing I'll say about Pop, the layout of the resort is great, and the busing is generally VERY quick. The only exception is if you try to leave a park at a peak time via bus. If you plan on using a car, it matter less. Quick transportation - in my mind is one of the prime reasons to consider the deluxe resorts. Being able to walk from the Contemporary to MK is golden. You know it will take ten minutes tops. you know you can get from CR to any monrail dining with almost no outdoor exposure (great if it's very hot or very cold outside, maybe not as ideal in lovely spring weather.) Buses at POFQ mid day will loop around POR - and that adds a bit to your commute. (At peak times they are more direct, and always stop at POFQ first!)

In my opinion, DIsney is great at giving you a great value for your money. The values are a great deal, but the little extras of the mods are also worth what you pay. The deluxes at full price are not a great deal - but they often have the biggest discounts. The mods witha discount are usually a great deal.

I usually balk at prices ahead of time too, but then once I'm at WDW, I think, "This was a great deal!"

Values have that motel look, while mods have more of an upscale hotel or resort look and feel.
It is all about personal preference, decide what is important for you and take all advice with a grain of salt.

I'd go with the mod resort. In fact I'd choose Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans Riverside. To me, these are the best themed resorts.

Caribbean Beach has that open air feel and bright colors and I love the pool and port royal! I would probably go with Jamaica Building just so I could walk across the bridge and see the lighthouse everyday! The rooms here are very large and every section has a huge quiet pool!

Riverside has two fabulous room styles to choose from, fantastic landscaping and is LOADED in amenities! Free boatrides to Downtown Disney, very close to the FortWilderness Chip and Dale Campfire, A live performer in the restaurant, tons of "swimmin' holes" and is great for walking- the resort is laid out with French Quarter being the city, the Mansions being the estates on the outskirts of town and Alligator Bayou being that "backwoods" Louisiana feel! Awesome!

We have stayed at all the mods on property. We have also stayed at POP, and ASMo. With that said, while the mods are nice, we will never again pay the additional money for one after staying at POP. For us, they just don't offer enough extra, and frankly, other than POFQ which we do love, they are WAY to spread out.

Now, if your talking deluxe? Absolutely, if it's a special occasion, or we really are going to spend a bit more time at the resort. Other than that, it's POP all the way.

We have stayed at Pop 9 times, it was the first place we stayed and we loved it, but I always read about CBR, and CSR here on the boards. I can now say we have tried both and will NEVER go back to either one. The rooms and grounds were not worth the price and the Customer Service was horrible. I went to Pop to use their concierge service. Now if you really want to upgrade I would go to Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom, we did feel those were worth the money, however they are not always in the budget for us. I say stay at Pop and do something special with the money you save! We have always been happy at Pop!

We have stayed at Pop 9 times, it was the first place we stayed and we loved it, but I always read about CBR, and CSR here on the boards. I can now say we have tried both and will NEVER go back to either one. The rooms and grounds were not worth the price and the Customer Service was horrible. I went to Pop to use their concierge service. Now if you really want to upgrade I would go to Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom, we did feel those were worth the money, however they are not always in the budget for us. I say stay at Pop and do something special with the money you save! We have always been happy at Pop!

I could have written this myself, LOL. I know I posted already, but yeah, this kind of nails it for us too! :)

Stick with the value. Just that you asked the question means the value is right for you. I've stayed at value mod and deluxe. My value stays were terrific and the price was right. Go for it and save your money.

We have stayed at Pop 9 times, it was the first place we stayed and we loved it, but I always read about CBR, and CSR here on the boards. I can now say we have tried both and will NEVER go back to either one.

Gee, our family had almost the opposite reaction. Last year we had our second stay at Pop. I have to say, our room location was just about ideal: close to the food court, parking lot, and bus stop. But then, that was part of the problem. We were much too eager to get away from our resort as fast as we could. We both agreed, we probably wouldn't do it again for a while.

We had no problem with noise, it was more just that there was little to keep us in the resort: no TS dining, no pool slide. since we had a car we bought a coffee maker to use inthe room, and paid for a fridge.

But there again....we had to modify the room to get it the way we like. It was just a bother. It seemed to us that everyone around us was doing the same thing - like lots folks who were at the pool with a cooler full of beer. Instead of just buying drinks from the pool bar. Everyone was doing things to save a few dollars. Instead of inspiring us, it reminded us too much of reality, I guess. Vacation is supposed to be an escape, IMO.

When I arrive at AKL, I feel like I've arrived. I want to be THERE. The decor is AMAZING! CSR is sort of in between: beautiful grounds, but slow transportation.

I have stayed at both, and going back to value this November. It will be hard to go back to value after greater ammenities and comfort of better hotel, but we are going with other family who need to watch budget. I am sure we will just as much fun at the value, but it seems that at the end of those long days in the parks, the quiet and the comfort of super beds, fridges and larger rooms really do make all the difference. However, at $400 upgrade I might consider upgrading on a different trip when the deals are better? Just make a detailed tight budget and stick to it, and maybe you'll never miss the extra $$!

Have fun wherever you stay!

Gee, our family had almost the opposite reaction. Last year we had our second stay at Pop. I have to say, our room location was just about ideal: close to the food court, parking lot, and bus stop. But then, that was part of the problem. We were much too eager to get away from our resort as fast as we could. We both agreed, we probably wouldn't do it again for a while.

We had no problem with noise, it was more just that there was little to keep us in the resort: no TS dining, no pool slide. since we had a car we bought a coffee maker to use inthe room, and paid for a fridge.

But there again....we had to modify the room to get it the way we like. It was just a bother. It seemed to us that everyone around us was doing the same thing - like lots folks who were at the pool with a cooler full of beer. Instead of just buying drinks from the pool bar. Everyone was doing things to save a few dollars. Instead of inspiring us, it reminded us too much of reality, I guess. Vacation is supposed to be an escape, IMO.

When I arrive at AKL, I feel like I've arrived. I want to be THERE. The decor is AMAZING! CSR is sort of in between: beautiful grounds, but slow transportation.

That was a very good way to put it, at the higher end hotels, you do feel like the resort is part of the vacation too, like you are there to see it as well as the parks, and sometimes you want to spend more time there! That's my idea of a good place, my girls didn't want to leave the Dolphin this weekend, it felt that nice! So, you have to figure if ambience, comfort, and bit more charm = extra$$.

I have done all three and can appreciate each level for what they have to offer. It really depends on the type of vacation you are looking for. If you are an over planner and have everything mapped out then perhaps a value is right for you, because you won't be at the hotel much. Staying longer want to relax but tight on budget? Go with a mod. Want to go all out and feel a tad spoiled? Go with the deluxe. Remember it is all about frame of mind! Be confident in your decision and make the most of it . It is after all just a hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter