Value Resorts vs. Deluxe or Moderate

As long as it is now resurrected, let me pose a slightly different twist of a question.

For those choosing to stay deluxe (or even mod) for the amenities, can you share why not just stay off-site to get those amenities for much less? For example, using next summer as a guide (since that is when we go), you can stay at the 5-star Waldorf Astoria for $160/night, far less than any Disney deluxe and even less than Mod rack rates. Even the Swan and Dolphin (technically not off-site) are $159-$179. Hyatt Grand Cypress is $133. These resorts all have tons of amenities and restaurants. I get the "it's not the Disney experience" part, as well as the perks of EMH, etc, but is it anything else? If you're staying a week or more, the difference adds up to some serious cash, certainly enough that I would think it would enter in to the decision. Anyone care to share their thought process on this?

We stay 5 or 6 nights.I have stayed off site but like not needing a car.Since it is just the 2 of us we feel that the extra money spent eating onsite is offset by no rental car.Plus I like being dropped off at the front of the park.Once you stay onsite it is hard to go back.

I am not a value hater either, but we just returned from 5 days at Pop. We won't do it again, at least not next trip.

We are a couple, 34 and 40, with no kids. Noise was our biggest worry so we stuck to our guns about our room request and as a result didn't hear a sound the entire time or even see more than 1 child on our hall. We had a 4th floor, lake-view, corner room in the 60s section. We spent very little time at the resort, and liked the theme, but still we didn't feel the magic. We hated the food court, I actually got food poisoning (yes, I did report it to management and they were great). We found the room to be an ok size, but it was generic looking. The pool is nothing special either and I kept forgetting to bring towels from the room. The bus service to the MK was poor.

I stayed at ASMu in college and loved it, but I think I've outgrown the values. We don't regret trying Pop this time and our budget really didn't allow more. I'd much rather stay value than off site because I love the Disney feel, but now we know the values aren't a good fit. We could have stayed moderate for one less night and would have enjoyed it more, though at $95/night with free QSDP for two it was a bargain.

In the future we'll likely rent DVC points or try the Swolphin. If not, we'll try POFQ or POR. NO matter what, we'll spend more resort time to enjoy the amenities. I know some love the values. Everyone has different needs and tastes. Someday when we have kids we may reconsider, but for now value is a bad idea for us.

Sleeping arrangements were the clincher for us: Our first 10-day trip included accomodations at AKL, which we chose because it offered DH and myself a queen bed (I think it was a queen) and the children (DS9, DD5 at the time) had the bunk beds. Everyone was happy.

The next time we stayed at Coronado because we could have 2 queens. I just can't do a double with DH...no way - no how. And I was tired of hearing the kids fight about their sleeping arrangements (snoring, kicking, etc.) and DH insisted that we weren't splitting up by having a kid and adult in each bed. I fight my battles with him, but I digress.

Since then we purchased DVC and both kids get their own bed (DS14 is now 14 and DD10) which is quite handy since them sleeping in the same bed totally weirds them out.

We figure that if we're going to be "stuck" in a hotel room for 8-10 hours a day on vacation, even if those 8-10 hours we're asleep, we aren't going to make ourselves miserable by being in too cramped quarters. Vacation time is happy time. We're going to make it as pleasant as possible, even if that means saving up a little more $$$ to make it more enjoyable. :yay: :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter