value resort vs deluxe Poly

Why not just do a family suite at either AoA or ASMu? You'd get two bathrooms, enough beds, adults would still have privacy, and it's still at a value price. Win/win! Although I don't have teens yet myself so its just a suggestion. I would be afraid to let my teens terrorize a hotel room on their own! Who knows what damages I'd be paying for! Lol! (As you can see, I'm scared to death of my children becoming teens! Please tell me how I can avoid this!)

Lol Hard as I've tried youngest made it to 13 this year so nice advice here on how to avoid it tho I was as feared as you seem My 2xDSs are turning into great young men tho so keep faith ;-)

Lol Hard as I've tried youngest made it to 13 this year so nice advice here on how to avoid it tho I was as feared as you seem My 2xDSs are turning into great young men tho so keep faith ;-)

Ah one can dream can't they? Although my 7 year old is and has always been a terror, my 6 year old DD is quite emotional, her 3 year old sister is a drama queen and so far the only "bad" thing about my 18 month old is that he's a daredevil! Lol! I know not all teens are terrors, I'm just thinking of my prospective future teens and how my little brother and sister turned out. Talk about terrors! But I am not my mother so hopefully my little darlings will outgrow their respective quirks and become fine young men and women. I keep praying anyway! Lol

I keep saying if I could just skip over years 9-18 I'd be happy! I was a horrid teen until I was 19 and on my own. Then I called my dad to thank him for being so strict with me once I saw the trouble my friends had gotten themselves into. So I hope my children can skip the bad too. I'll definitely be open to advice here in about six years or so! (Yikes! Only six years?!)

Take a deep breath and take a realistic view of your budget and finances and the comfort of your family.

First of all, there is no way I would want to share a single room and single bathroom with 5 adults. I don't care if I only sleep and shower in the room ... it would take forever for everyone to get a shower in! Plus, you'll be there in the heat of August and you may want to take showers more often. Do you really want to set aside an hour+ per day for everyone to get showers in?

Secondly, I just can't bring myself to pay the prices that Disney wants for a room at the Polynesian. $450 plus tax for a weekend night :eek:! I've stayed there on an upgrade. Don't get me wrong ... it was great. But it's not worth TWICE as much as TWO rooms combined at a value resort IMO. Not even close. My rack rate calculations show 2 rooms at the All Stars to be $1500 and one room at the Poly to be $3375.

Lastly, before I even opened this thread I knew that the majority of posters would recommend the Polynesian. There is something in the water here on the DIS, LOL. Whenever someone asks "Should I stay at A or B", the more expensive resort is always recommended. So, you should take that into account when you weigh everyone's advise.

lol...agree not all kids are terrors as teens...my kids, and I am not bragging, are really good kids...two girls, sandwiched by their giant little brother..I was actually just looking at doing the club route...my girls are very tiny eaters... the youngest still orders off the kids menu, oldest one, in college, is a salad and fruit person...my son on the other hand...aye aye aye..lol.. the girls would be sharing a bed no matter which resort because my husband and I in a full size bed is goinna be uncomfortable...both 6ft and up, so that would leave the girls to share and baby brother, 6'3" at 15 in his own bed or on the couch..I am trying to get through to Disney but their system is down..I think we will ditch the dining plan, do a couple of character buffets, so the boys can fill up, and my kids can be trusted with the charging of food, etca

Has anyone done a split stay..that might ease the cost a bit...3 nights at value and 3 nights at Poly club level..that might be a win/win..and just plan the parks accordingly..hmmm

If you want to get a good look at both watch the 7 in 7 videos that the disunplugged Florida team did.

disney lover at heart

I would drop the DDP and stick with two value rooms or get a value family suite at either AoA or ASMu.

Two bathrooms and that leaves more money for shopping! LOL

If you can still get in on the summer discount, Poly is 30% off & for us/our dates was cheaper than a suite or 2 rooms @ a value for some of our nights. I think w/ 5 I might want the two bathrooms though. Good luck!!!

You might also consider two rooms at a moderate like Port Orleans Riverside. They have Queen beds and the property is very lush with a lot of water features, pools and the river, which will make the resort seem cooler(as in temp).
There are great discounts at all right now.
:)

We are a family of 4, but often travel with a grandmother or aunt. As my kids get older, it gets harder for 5 of us to share one bathroom, and my girls are quite respectful. It just takes so long to get everyone bathed or relieved or whatever.

Although I've never stayed at the Poly, I have made the trip back and forth from the Contemporary to Epcot via the monorail many times and it can take up to an hour. You have to change Monorails at the TTC. Not as convenient as you might think.

With 3 teenagers I'd want two bathrooms... I'd stick to the two rooms at the value, that way you will have more space, more beds and more bathrooms.

If sharing a bath doesn't bother you I would compare the price at the Contemporary Garden Wing/Standard View with the POLY SV. It looks like with the 30% discount they are about $75 less a night (Sunday thru Thur. rate). $75 would really help with the OOP dining.

The rooms at the CR might even be a little larger and at least the potty is closed off with a seperate door in the bath area. They are both on the monorail system too.

You could probably have 2 rooms at CSR (queen beds) for a little more but it isn't the same as CR or the POLY IMO.

Well, I guess my mind has been made up for me..lol...finally got through to Disney to see about the Polynesian, even if we did a split stay, and only rooms left are the presidential suits, club level, which, if we did 3 nights here as a treat would cost $11,000..so the two rooms win.

We had stayed at the POR before, and usually we are ones who stay off site, but wanted to stay onsite as this is probably our last big family vacation, but poly is way too expensive now..I have told myself I will look no more, just keep our ressies as they ar e:sad2: hubby wants to keep DDP even if it ends up being a little bit more expensive...my son and him get grumpy if they don't eat..haha:rotfl2:

Thanks to everyone for your input...maybe our next vacation will be without kids at the Poly of GF...I can dream, right?:rotfl:

I swear the more I read, the more I second guess our reservations. We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 teens. Currently we are booked in two connecting rooms at the All star Music and have the DDP. We are going in August when 90's will be hot for us.

Here's my dilemma...I am beginning to think that having all these ADR's are really going to rule how we enjoy the parks...we prefer to just do things impulsively. I am thinking of ditching the plan and just paying OOP, keeping 2 or 3 of the reservations we really want,but just winging the rest. I am also debating whether two rooms, 4 beds, 2 baths, yet smaller rooms, and less fancy amenities at the value resort is better than say, upgrading to the Polynesian and staying in one room, but bigger beds and nicer amenities and right on monorail system. the computer system is down this morning and the summer special ends in a couple of days, so I have to make up our minds soon, or just stick with what we have.

Help me make up my mind..lol

thanks for any input

I absolutely will not help you make up your mind. You might change it several times a minute like me. Sooooo...book the Polynesian. Well DUH! Do your homework. And watch the clock. Get up early. Stay up late. That is just day one. Eat well with the ADR or enjoy your daily hot dogs. Get a grip, flip a coin and then go 2 out of three then...book the Polynesian. Don't want to watch the clock? Then don't use the FAST PASS system and enjoy all those standby lines. One extra thing to consider...the motor launch option. HEADS IT IS...book the Polynesian and notice that Jeddeye wave of the fingers when I say that. WAIT changed my mind...book AoA. Just kidding.

"You're taunting me aren't you."

We just took a trip very similar to what you're debating and we did both- 3 nights at an AoA suite and 5 nights Poly CL. We were only on the DDP those first three nights and it was more than enough. If you've eaten most places you want to and you've done the DDP a few times, it becomes monotonous. A sit down meal realistically takes at least 2 hours and most of the time we would be happier just eating a quick service and being in the moment. Also if no DDP helps afford the Poly, it's so worth it. Our group is similar in that the youngest is 16 and there's 5 of us. While we enjoyed the space at AoA, the monorail and great amenities and the pool gave us so much more flexibility. Also we love the food court at the Poly. Not being on the DDP and eating at the Poly food court saves us a little money, we love the food, and its a peaceful way to recharge. Being able to be at MK in 5 minutes or epcot in 10 minutes takes away some of the tension that comes with 3 teenagers in one room. Not happy with the schedule, or need an escape from a sibling, hop on the monorail. No matter how you slice it, the Poly will be more expensive though. For us once we stayed there we were hooked. We love it but its costs us, wish we were still content only staying at a moderate or value.

robinb said:
Take a deep breath and take a realistic view of your budget and finances and the comfort of your family.

First of all, there is no way I would want to share a single room and single bathroom with 5 adults. I don't care if I only sleep and shower in the room ... it would take forever for everyone to get a shower in! Plus, you'll be there in the heat of August and you may want to take showers more often. Do you really want to set aside an hour+ per day for everyone to get showers in?

Secondly, I just can't bring myself to pay the prices that Disney wants for a room at the Polynesian. $450 plus tax for a weekend night :eek:! I've stayed there on an upgrade. Don't get me wrong ... it was great. But it's not worth TWICE as much as TWO rooms combined at a value resort IMO. Not even close. My rack rate calculations show 2 rooms at the All Stars to be $1500 and one room at the Poly to be $3375.

Lastly, before I even opened this thread I knew that the majority of posters would recommend the Polynesian. There is something in the water here on the DIS, LOL. Whenever someone asks "Should I stay at A or B", the more expensive resort is always recommended. So, you should take that into account when you weigh everyone's advise.

My thoughts exactly.

OP by the time you add in your OOP meals its going to be very expensive.

I would do value and switch to the QSDP or pay out of pocket.

I would also think about two rooms at a moderate.

I have two teenagers and they love POR, CSR and CBR the most of all the resorts we have stayed at. My.kids also really like the values and to have their own room would be a.huge perk to them.

ETA, I think you made the right choice! We like the DDP, and find that eating in the park we plan to be in works great. Less running around. ASMU is our favorite value have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter