Value Resort or DTD Buena Vista Palace

gdrj

Boardwalk owner since 1999
Looking for thoughts on accomodations.

Last minute long weekend trip in mid December for just 2 adults. Currently booked at Buena Vista Palace on Disney Property across from DTD. We are DVC members and AP holders so we usually stay at Boardwalk or BLT etc.

We will be there by noon on Friday and leaving at 6PM on Monday. Would you stay at a DTD hotel or a Value Resort.

DTD hotel gives you easy access to buses at DTD plus we will have a car.
Value give you Magical Express (which we like) and Extra Magic Hours.

My impression of the Values (stayed there at AllStar Sports probably close to 20 years ago) is small rooms, crowded buses, and frantic parents and screaming kids (no offense intended, but been there done).

We've never stayed at Buena Vista but know others who have enjoyed it. We were able to get a good rate. The Hilton rate was higher and higher resort/parking fees, otherwise that would have been my choice.

With all that said any thoughts?

Looking for thoughts on accomodations.

Last minute long weekend trip in mid December for just 2 adults. Currently booked at Buena Vista Palace on Disney Property across from DTD. We are DVC members and AP holders so we usually stay at Boardwalk or BLT etc.

We will be there by noon on Friday and leaving at 6PM on Monday. Would you stay at a DTD hotel or a Value Resort.

DTD hotel gives you easy access to buses at DTD plus we will have a car.
Value give you Magical Express (which we like) and Extra Magic Hours.

My impression of the Values (stayed there at AllStar Sports probably close to 20 years ago) is small rooms, crowded buses, and frantic parents and screaming kids (no offense intended, but been there done).

We've never stayed at Buena Vista but know others who have enjoyed it. We were able to get a good rate. The Hilton rate was higher and higher resort/parking fees, otherwise that would have been my choice.

With all that said any thoughts?

You have a car .... so does that mean you don't need Magical Express?

The buses at DTD give you easy access to resorts but they do not go to the parks. So you would still want to drive to the parks.

So I guess what I am seeing is Value gives you Extra Magic Hours and DTD resort gives you an easy walk over to DTD without dealing with the parking if you are planning time there. I think for me it would depend on my plans for the weekend - park intensive or DTD/relaxing intensive? and choose which gives me the most perks for my time.

So as a general rule we will stay offsite before doing a value. Our main problems were too small rooms and too packed food courts. Now the one time we stayed there it was full summer and crowded. Plus my sons and Dh are all big boys.

Since we generally go when it's Surface of the sun hot being comfortable in my room is a necessity.

Off site is always my preference. I also always have a car so disney transportation is not a perk. The only thing we miss is the extra magic hours

I would stay at DTD Buena Vista Palace before I stayed at a value. It is really nice and the walk to DTD is right across the street. I think that they have busses that go to the parks or you could drive since parking would be free because of your AP.

I haven't stayed value, but for a conference I have stayed several times at BVP. I would HIGHLY recommend it. We never took the bus from BVP to the parks because, to be frank, they are terrible. They don't get to go, obviously, as far as Disney park buses go so it is as if you are driving and going to the TTC yourself, and, you have to wait a long time for them.

That being said, as PP noted, you literally walk right across the street to DTD (and I confess that I haven't done that since Disney Springs or whatever it is called was announced) and then take a bus to a resort -- I usually tried to get to any of the monorail resort buses (whichever was there first) and then take the monorail to MK. If we were going to Epcot we took the bus to BC/YC/BWI, same for DHS.

Last time there we walked, it was a little further and involved crossing a major road, to SSR and took buses from there directly to whichever park we wanted to go to.

I hope this helps.

Tom

The Hilton rate was higher and higher resort/parking fees, otherwise that would have been my choice. With all that said any thoughts?
Not sure if you know- the Hilton at DTD gets Extra Magic Hours. But that probably isn't worth the higher cost.

Not sure if you know- the Hilton at DTD gets Extra Magic Hours. But that probably isn't worth the higher cost.

I agree. Hilton with the higher resort fee + parking + higher daily rate it doesn't make sense for this trip.

Thanks for the replies

I agree. Hilton with the higher resort fee + parking + higher daily rate it doesn't make sense for this trip.

Thanks for the replies

I'd stay @ the BV next time instead of the Values... Not happy with the wow value hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter