Value Resort Advice? All Star Movies vs Pop

Leasha_Loves_Disney

Please stand clear of the door; Por favor manténga
I am planning a trip in March for me and my boyfriend. We are trying to save money and decided to choose a value resort since we are never really in the room anyways. So my question for all you experienced resort goers is.. Which do you prefer: The All Star Movies (specifically toy story section) or Pop Century (specifically the 50's). Pictures, opinions, links ANYTHING would be much appreciated!!! Also for anyone who has taken a vacation in March how are the crowds. Thank you all in advance for all of your help. I love knowing that there is a community of people I can come to whenever I need some Disney advice :thumbsup2

I like them both but Pop Century would get my vote we really enjoyed staying there and resort is newer.

I also vote for Pop. It has it's own bus routes, while the All Star resorts share one. That sometimes means a longer wait to either get picked up or dropped off. I am often at Disney in March, and if it is early March, you will beat spring break. Later March is usually a bit busier, but not as bad as April (imo). Have fun!! :dance3:

I've stayed at ASM and thought it was great. It definitely puts you in the Disney mood. However, I have to agree with the others about the bus route! Going to a resort with its' own bus is a huge advantage, especially if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room or at the resort.

I would choose ASMO if it's true that all the rooms were just refurbished. I think the theming is fantastic.

Have fun on your trip.

:)

Both Movies and Pop Century have been rehabbed completely (new decor etc) in recent years.

Pop Century is just across the lake from the new Animation Inn & Suites and you could easily take a walk over there to check that resort out if it interested you.

Hope this helps,

Knox

Thanks so much everyone for all of you help!!! I think we are leaning towards All Star Movies because my boyfriend is a HUGE fan of toy story and I have heard that it is the most "Disney" of all the resorts. The only thing that has me second guessing is the bus situation. We will hopefully be going down March 5-9 if everything works out as we hope, so maybe that will help since we will be there early in the month? Thank you all again so much!!!

We were at POP last March. I don't know about the All Star buses, but I will say that what we noticed with POP in March is that all the buses were packed, we waited longer than anyone else to get a bus from the park to our resort, and the Pop line at every resort was the very last one, so a LONG walk to the line.

The All Stars lines always seemed to be less full, and buses came more frequently. Maybe they don't share buses during peak seasons as much?

That said, we had a great time. The weather was amazing, and the crowds weren't too bad as long as we got to the parks early.

We have stayed at all of the values, Music, Movies and Pop more than once.

Our experience has been that the All Stars do not always share a bus. At park closing they always got their onw bus. During the morning, we generally had our own bus, although sometimes Sports and Music shared but the bus was full so we didn't head to Movies. Off peak times, we generally shared. However, to me its not a huge deal. Maybe I am just used to some of the mods and DVC's that have multiple (as in up to seven) bus stops, but the shared route of the All Stars is quick, easy and is not a big time sucker.

Now that said, one time in all of our All Star stays we did quite a bit of sharing and we were with my in laws who were not too keen on Disney or the value resort experience and maybe it was just knowing they weren't having a good time that made me more aware of every possible downside. I will add once they left, we didn't share too much or maybe my attitude was just more relaxed and positive! That was the only time I noticed it.

As for Pop, its a huge resort so sharing is not an option at this time. Resorts generally only share within the same resort class and area. Since at this time, there is no value near Pop, it can't share. Once Art of Animation opens, we'll have to see if they share or not. I hope not, Pop's busses have always been quite full and if they do share with AOA, that might be a deal breaker for me to stay there again.

If your bf loves Toy Story, I think Movies is your resort! We love the way at any of the All Stars you have two other resorts right there to enjoy and check out including the pools, the theming is for sure the most Disney and the new rooms look great.

I don't think you can make a bad choice, I love the All Stars and Pop and honestly, go with the one whose theming is calling me. Transporation evens out in my opinion.

My and my bf are huge Toy Story fans and stayed in the Toy Story area of All Star Movies our first trip. Before we checked out we spent at least an hour taking pictures in "Andy's room." Even if you don't end up staying there I think it's worth going over to ASM to take pictures with the Toy Story stuff.

The only thing that has me second guessing is the bus situation. We will hopefully be going down March 5-9 if everything works out as we hope, so maybe that will help since we will be there early in the month? Thank you all again so much!!!

If you're worried about the bus situation, I would recommend walking down to ASMu to catch the bus. If the AS resorts are sharing a bus when you're there, they'll stop at Sports first, then Music, then Movies last. Just walk past the pool, through Dalmations & Ducks, then right over to Music, rather than take the main road that runs in front of the resort).

We've stayed at both and decided to stay at pop century for our next trip. It's hard to decide which we like better...both are great. I personally like the pools and fountain areas for the kids at pop century. Our 1st trip, we stay in early March, about the same time you're planning. It was great, crowds weren't too bad, weather was perfect (a tad chilly in early morning and nights). The bus situation wasn't bad for either trip....they run fairly frequently.

I like the AS better than POP because of where the bus stops are at the parks and the food court is always crowded at POP. We will be at ASMo next week so if you have any questions let me know:cool1:

I've stayed at all the value resorts and my favourite is ASMu.

The All Stars get a really bad rap about the bus situation. It is no better or worse than any other resort. The mods all have multiple stops and the 5 Epcot resorts share one bus....yep, 5 stops at 5 different resorts.

Take the whole bus thing out of it......which theme is the most appealing? That should be your main deciding factor.

I've stayed at both. We actually spent 2 days of our honeymoon at POP and enjoyed it... Although how can you ruin a honeymoon :)

That being said I would gladly stay at either.

I wouldn't worry about the busses too much. If it is a busy time of year, or if they notice that crowds are large at bus stops etc. they will run separate busses to each All-Star resort. And even if they do stop at all 3 to pick up or drop off it doesn't add that much time at all since they are all right there in the same vicinity. We've never had a problem. I had more problems with busses at CSR than All Stars.

That saying I am not one to "complain" about the busses... even the time we were in an accident (not the bus drivers fault)... I have always noticed they do a great job dispatching more busses if necessary because of lines or it being busy, such as after fireworks.

Since they have refurbished all the rooms at ASMovies, I would definitely pick that resort over Pop Century. We have stayed over Thanksgiving at both resorts and we both said that we would not stay at Pop again. The reason was too crowded and our room in the 50's building was quite a haul from the parking lot (unloading was awful) and the main building. We love ASMovies for the theming...it just is over the top Disney. We had absolutely no problems with the buses. Each All Star resort gets their own buses at opening/closing. We have stayed there twice and have only shared a bus once...and that was when we left the park at 6 pm. The food court was great, check in/check out was easy and we got some great photos from just walking around the resort and taking pics with all the larger than life characters. Andy's room is amazing!
As for Pop, check-in took forever because the lines were so long, getting food took forever because the lines were so long, getting on/off the bus took forever because the lines were so long...notice the theme here? ;) It was extremely crowded and it got old by the end of the week. The theming was ok, but didn't appeal to us as much as the other. The stay just did not leave us with the excitement that we normally feel when we stay at Disney. :goodvibes

Ditto on the bus situation. We've rarely had to share and when we did it added like 3 minutes to our total trip -- seriously it's no different than a city bus stopping once or twice before your actual stop.....maybe the people who don't like bussing usually drive to work? On the other hand, if you're staying at the all-stars you can take any all-star bus and just walk over to your own resort...the 3 are right beside each other. This is a great bonus if you've just missed your own bus.

I agree with other posters. Go with the theming you like best but remember that no WDW resort has everything. And until you are checked into your room, you can't be guaranteed which part of the resort you'll get. Make the request, but it is only a request until you're actually there.

Good luck :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter