Value or Coronado?

disneynut11

Mouseketeer
We usually travel to WDW every few years. After a great trip staying at AOA (LM) last year, I wasn't expecting making a 2014 trip. Well we are taking a trip to South Carolina in July and decided to do a short 4 day trip to WDW.
We have never stayed anywhere except Value:ASM, POP, AOA due to cost with no complaints.
We head to the parks early, take a pool/nap break, and head back leaving very little time in the resort.

This year we have the opportunity to stay at Coronado at a reduced rate with my daughters dance group. Is it worth it? Some of the ratings are poor compared to the Values.

I would also love to stay at POFQ, but there is no discount available. I am trying to justify the price difference. Is it worth it?
It will be my husband 9 year old, and me

We love both Coronado and Pop! CSR has a great pool with a fun slide- for kids and adults!! The rooms at CSR are bigger and more upscale than Pop. So when we can enjoy the pool and the resort, we stay at CSR. For quick trips with the emphasis on parks, we stay at Pop.

We love CSR. I have stayed there four times and never had any issues. It is a beautiful resort. I know many like POFQ the best of the mods, but I actually prefer CSR to POFQ. CSR has a much nicer pool, has table service dining, a beauty salon/spa and a beach area with hammocks! I find the beds comfortable and the rooms well appointed. It is a huge step up from values.

If you are getting a discount there, Take advantage of the opportunity. I wouldn't pay extra for POFQ. Just MHO of course. Others will undoubtedly disagree.

We've stayed at Pop & Coronado. We really liked the bussing equally (both are dedicated). We liked the resort dining better at Pop because the quick service is not a ‘hybrid‘ like at Coronado. The pool is huge at Coronado & the waterslide is nice at Coronado, but really we didn‘t find that to be a deal-maker for the kids or for us. The queen beds are a plus at the moderates, but not a must-have, either. The size of Coronado can be an issue if the weather isn‘t cooperative as the walk to the restaurants/busses can feel long id it‘s raining/cold/windy. If we were going tomorrow I think my husband & kids would choose Pop. I want to try POFQ next time!

I have stayed at All-Stars, Pop, and Coronado Springs. If price was not an issue, I would go back to Coronado Springs. There seemed to be more walking (comparing preferred rooms to preferred rooms) but, loved the pool at Coronado Springs and the ambiance. We (me and DS14) loved sitting outside at sunset.

I think the rooms were also much more comfortable at CSpr. They were larger and the beds were larger and more comfortable. And those pocket doors were nice to give privacy when getting ready in the morning and evening.

But remember no matter where you pick, it is Walt Disney World...it is going to be Magical!:love:

Love Coronado!!! And with the group rate, there is more opportunity for your daughter to be around her dance group and you. The pool is awesome for all ages and the hot tub is great for adults. And the queen sized beds are so comfy and the rooms are a lot roomier than any Value. The lake in the middle of the resort is actually quite peaceful.

CSR is AWESOME......If it weren't for DVC we'd be staying here for years to come.....Not that there is anything wrong with Values, but there are so many more amenities you get with a mod. But then you get sooo much more from a mod. to CSR...Which we like to call a Deluxe Lite.....Its just a step up from POR & a bigger step up from POFQ &CBR....

Pools are awesome best slide.....The Pepper Market we love, Café Rix, The décor , ambience, BEST BUS SYSTEM out of ANY RESORT on property..Hands down... Only you can see if the price upgrade will fit your budget, but IMHO it's definitely well worth the extra $$$...Have fun.

I LOVE Coronado. When the rate is right, I'll stay there, if not I try POP or ASMu.

Most complaints is about the size of the place (it is a HUGE resort). Mainly because you can be situated quite a walk away from the food court. That does not bother me but, I can see how some with mobility issues or those that are mostly sedentary by choice can have an issue with the distances.

The food court is a mixed bag also. You have a quick service type of area that is next to the gift shop. They sell basic stuff, cereals, muffins, warm sandwiches, icecream... and then you have the Peppermill. I LOVE the Peppermill. It's an ala-carte type of menu, almost a table service/self service type of place. You get a card and with that card go to the station that you like. That station stamps your card and you take your food and the card back with you to the table. If you want something else, you go to the station, stamp the card, etc. Then after the waitress will bring you water, clear your table, bring your check, etc. I enjoy the food there. The chicken is awesome for dinner.

The beds there are SUPER comfy. The grounds are lovely to walk around, all of the buildings have fountains and special touches here and there. They have a gym, spa facilities. 3 bars. There's the lake which is very pleasant to walk around in the evening. The Dig Site is a very nifty pool with a slide. There's also the quiet pools around the buildings.

My one complaint about Moderates, in general, is the bus situation to and from the parks. With Coronado, if you are in the Casitas section you will be picked up and dropped of first. If you are in the Cabana's section you will be picked up and dropped off last. The bus has to go all the way around the resort before you are off to your destination. So, if you are traveling to the parks for a specific event, make sure to give yourself extra time to catch the bus.

The plus side is that, unlike Fort Wilderness, you don't have to transfer buses. You just wait for the bus that goes to the destination you are after.

Anyway, if the price is right, DO IT!!! :) :yay:

We have stayed at one value (all star sports), and all moderates except for POFQ. I can say there is a big step up from value to moderate. Our favorite moderate is CSR, and CSR is described by many as the deluxe of the moderates. It is the only moderate that offers a business class room category. It is also the only moderate with a fitness center and spa. Their pool is very nice. I would recommend a business class first, and second a preferred room. If your discount includes those business class rooms, I'd jump on that ASAP. Business class is nice because you don't have to wonder which building you'll be in, and you know you'll be right in-between the pool and the main building, with a bus stop steps away. This includes a breakfast every morning of your stay in the business lounge located in your building. Then, the lounge is open different times throughout the day for snacks, drinks, and things.

We have stayed at Pop three times and we stayed at CSR for the first time this last December 01-07. We stayed in the Cabanas section, Bldg. 9A and it was pretty close to El Centro. It was about $600 more to stay at CSR than a value. I know this because we upgraded our reservation from AS Music ($1700) to CSR ($2300) on a free dining pin. I know Pop is not exactly AS Music but the cost and layout is similar.

Was it worth it and would we do it again? Without a doubt, Yes we would. We like Pop a lot but CSR was more comfortable. The queen beds are a big plus and its my opinion that the mattresses were much better. The room size is good and I just generally enjoyed the place. Didn't use the pool because we just can't see choosing time at a pool over the parks but my son and I walked over to see it and it was neat.

I will say we didn't care for the Pepper Market at all and prefer the food court at Pop! It is a big resort and we got lucky staying in the Cabanas section but it is a hike from El Centro to Ranchos. I found the buses to be efficient and they could be used to get back and forth to El Centro. We disliked Pepper Market enough that if we were to stay again, I doubt we would even bother eating up at El Centro at all and just go straight to the parks.

Too sum it up, we love them both but CSR mattresses are easier on my back and I would pick it if I didn't mind spending the money. Really though, I will probably shoot for POFQ next time :)

Unrelated note, we stayed at CBR one time and will never stay there again. I would rather stay at any value over that moderate. Same price point as CSR with double beds like a value, really spread out and not great bus service.

It is a big resort and we got lucky staying in the Cabanas section but it is a hike from El Centro to Ranchos. I found the buses to be efficient and they could be used to get back and forth to El Centro.

I've always wondered about this and why I've never seen it mentioned...assumed it wasn't allowed or doesn't work. So it is possible to hop the bus at El Centro and get off at the Rancheros? :confused3

To the OP, I've never actually stayed at CSR but even I would choose it over a Value with a discount. While the Values are fine for my tight budget, I don't find them comfortable and relaxing. Everything I've seen on CSR makes me think it would give me that tropical getaway vacation feeling (similar to what the Poly does for me). I say go for it!! :thumbsup2

I've always wondered about this and why I've never seen it mentioned...assumed it wasn't allowed or doesn't work. So it is possible to hop the bus at El Centro and get off at the Rancheros? :confused3

Yes, they have a Downtown Disney bus that stops at BS-4 (El Centro), BS-1 (Casita) BS-2 (Ranchos) and BS-3 (Cabanas) in that order before going to DTD. The Theme Park buses go BS-1, BS-2, BS-3 and BS-4 before going to the park. You can hop on and off those buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter