Valid Complaint?

'Poor girl'? Please. 'Maintain civility'? Really. What if she turned down your Visa card because she didn't recognize it? What if the next person only has a few of those $1 coins and no other money? Do the girl a FAVOR and allow her to do her job - as Disney wants her to do. Take time out of my trip? A couple of minutes won't matter to me. And I wouldn't get worked up. I find it incredible that some people see this as busting chops rather than making things easier for the next guy. And FYI these coins are being given out by Disney purposely at Liberty Square and the American Adventure. They're not just randomly popping up out of people's sock drawers.

Okie dokie. You're a good Samaritan! :thumbsup2 Great work.

As a former retail manager, IMO, informing the manager is not "blowing it up." It truly wouldn't occur to me when training new employees to teach them the denominations of money. If no one ever informs the manager so he/she can correct this training error, it likely will never get corrected. I certainly wouldn't discipline an employee over something like this, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want it straightened out.

Exactly. :thumbsup2 Nice to see that others see it this way too!

This is a little off topic...sorry...but it does kind of go along with the theme of this thread. This summer, we were taking a trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We get to the condo we rented, I went inside to pay. There was a sign on the counter that said, "No cash accepted." What??? :confused3 You have got to be kidding me! I probably could have caused a scene...since cash is LEGAL tender. But, I was on vacation so I decided to let it go. I've NEVER been anywhere that DIDN'T accept cash!

I have not read thru the numerous pages here this is in response to OP's post only:

We visited seattle last year and I paid for a $1 bottle of water with one of the gold coin dollars and the guys at the desk (2 of them both in mid to late 20's) also thought it was fake. They have never seen or heard of them, but they took it. I guess to me they are so common I dont even question it, our change machine and all vending machines at work give them all the time so I usually have 10 or 20 of them in my wallet.

The thing that bothers me about the new dollar coin is that our government chose to leave off "In God We Trust" from the coin. To my knowledge this is the only coin/bill that does not have these precious words written on them. That, my friends, is something to write to Disney about. In fact, when we go in Jan we will respectfully but firmly decline to accept the dollar coin as change from our purchases.

The thing that bothers me about the new dollar coin is that our government chose to leave off "In God We Trust" from the coin. To my knowledge this is the only coin/bill that does not have these precious words written on them. That, my friends, is something to write to Disney about. In fact, when we go in Jan we will respectfully but firmly decline to accept the dollar coin as change from our purchases.

Actually they have NOT removed the phrase from the coins. The Presidential coin series removed it from its traditional location on the obverse face and instead etch it into the edge of the coin itself. However, there was a minting error of less than 100k coins that failed to get the lettering etched in. These mis-minted coins are referred to as the "godless" coins.

The Sacagawea dollars still have the phrase on the obverse.

And what does Disney have to do with leaving "In God We Trust" off of money? Why would you complain to them about the U.S. Mint? :confused3

This is a little off topic...sorry...but it does kind of go along with the theme of this thread. This summer, we were taking a trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We get to the condo we rented, I went inside to pay. There was a sign on the counter that said, "No cash accepted." What??? :confused3 You have got to be kidding me! I probably could have caused a scene...since cash is LEGAL tender. But, I was on vacation so I decided to let it go. I've NEVER been anywhere that DIDN'T accept cash!

Go to virtually any country club, yacht club or private club of any type and chances are better than not they will not take cash. Cash it too tempting for some employees to handle with complete trust, and in resort communities it is widely known who has the most cash on the weekends. Do you want to be known as the place that has the most cash on hand?

If you want to eliminate all kinds of headaches, do not accept cash. At least that is how those places see it.

Also, as a matter of lending, what you DO NOT WANT your customers to see is actual money leaving their wallets. You do NOT WANT your customers to see $50 bills being drained in 10 minutes at the bar. You DO NOT WANT your customers to see that $8 tip coming out of their pockets. You want it all on plastic so it is really easy to sign for.

Hey, just ask Disney World! Have you ever seen a place that lets you sign for so much stuff so easily? A bottle of water? Hey, let me sign for that! A sweat shirt? Sign here. You mean this $400 dinner at Cali Grill is only two meal credits? Heck yeah, let me sign off on that 20 percent tip with my Key to the World card! They do not want you to see the actual spending of money, for if you do, you will be sick.

You are right. Disney did not print the coin, but they have agreed to promote the coin heavily in its theme parks. Pressure on Disney can put pressure on the US Mint. Just my own way of peaceful but strategic demonstration I guess. I will look at the edge of the gold coin to see if I can read the letters in their new location.

And what does Disney have to do with leaving "In God We Trust" off of money? Why would you complain to them about the U.S. Mint? :confused3

:lmao: Conspiracies are everywhere. You are trying to reason with a person who is choosing to make a religious stand about money at Disney World. I wish you all good luck.:rolleyes1

You are right. Disney did not print the coin, but they have agreed to promote the coin heavily in its theme parks. Pressure on Disney can put pressure on the US Mint. Just my own way of peaceful but strategic demonstration I guess. I will look at the edge of the gold coin to see if I can read the letters in their new location.

And if they have agreed to promote the coin heavily in their theme parks, why don't their employees know about $1 coins? :confused3

Cash is legal tender but it doesn't mean that anyone has to take it. Legal tender means that it has cash value and could be used to pay off debts - that's not an obligation to accept, rather a right to offer. But exactly how the indebted accepts cash, including not at all, is up to them.

You could have caused a scene, but you'd still be wrong.

If you think about it, you see this everyday. Some places accept only small bills, some vending machines only accept coins, bus drivers won't accept pennies. I've never seen a gas pump that accepts cash. All are in their legal rights.

Some places, like a hotel/condo that has a desk clerk working all night and tends to have fairly large sales (in the $100s) - it makes perfect sense to NOT accept any cash - in fact, it helps YOU, the guest - as it makes the entire condo building less tempting for late-night unscrupulous types.

I thought I would run this by some other people. I'm kind of hot about it...

I was at the MVMCP on Friday and having a great time. As is usual for my wife and I, as we start to exit the park we stop and buy a rice krispy treat at the shop on main street. My wife used a snack point for hers but I had none left and paid cash. I had only a couple of $100's and about $5 in the new $1 coins. Since it was a $3 item I gave the cast member 3 $1 coins. She spent probably 5 min looking at them and talking with the other girl before rejecting them saying that they only accept "American Money" I tried to explain that it was U.S. Money but it did not good. I was forced to pay with a $100. That she took without a second glance and gave me my $97 in change back. :confused:

Am I wrong that this bothered me? I mean WDW must pull in TONS of cash each day, is it asking too much that the cashiers know what is current legal U.S. money?

Um, no I probably wouldn't have gotten mad at that. :confused3

I'm not going to lie, I think this complaint is beyond silly.

$1 coins aren't common and she may geniunely have no idea it's real. To her, you could have made that coin and then why would she accept it?

Not only that, you got the $100 broken which is always a good thing in my book and it's not like you were greatly inconvienced.

seriously? Perhaps it is a demographic thing. In Chicago if you put a $5 bill machines you get $1 coins as change. For the subway for example. Now I would love to find a $2 bill. I have not seen one of those in a long time!

To get further off topic... :)

There is a U.S. statute that says that all U.S. coins and currency is legal tender for payment of debts, taxes, etc. - but it does not require that a merchant accept it in payment for goods or services.

In fact, and this IS on topic, there is no requirement by law that a merchant - in this case, Disney - accept any particular coin or currency. So they could if they so choose refuse to accept $1 coins. Or $1 bills. Or everything but $2 bills. It really is up to them. Terrible business to do so, and they are supposed to state it up front (like a store posting that they won't accept bills over $20).

This actually gets back to the (off topic again) fallacy about pennies not being "legal tender". Back when pennies (and U.S. coins in general) were relatively new, the coinage acts states that one cent coins could only be used to pay debts up to 25 cents...and this actually stayed on the books until the 1960s, when it was changed so that the amount was unlimited. However, again a merchant is not required to accept payment in one cent coins.

Now, I'd argue that pennies are in fact NOT legal tender in the U.S., because the U.S. does not produce pennies at all. We produce cents. Penny was term left over from British coinage, and remains in common use, but it is not strictly the correct name.

seriously? Perhaps it is a demographic thing. In Chicago if you put a $5 bill machines you get $1 coins as change. For the subway for example. Now I would love to find a $2 bill. I have not seen one of those in a long time!

I believe you'll find a lot of federal, state and municipal systems making use of the coins extensively (especially for vending systems with high price tag items/services, like subway passes and stamps), but it is rare elsewhere.

I believe the U.S. tried to work with Wal-Mart to distribute the Sacagewea dollars, but it seemed to go nowhere.

'Poor girl'? Please. 'Maintain civility'? Really. What if she turned down your Visa card because she didn't recognize it? What if the next person only has a few of those $1 coins and no other money? Do the girl a FAVOR and allow her to do her job - as Disney wants her to do. Take time out of my trip? A couple of minutes won't matter to me. And I wouldn't get worked up. I find it incredible that some people see this as busting chops rather than making things easier for the next guy. And FYI these coins are being given out by Disney purposely at Liberty Square and the American Adventure. They're not just randomly popping up out of people's sock drawers.

Wow. It's a coin. Just not getting your point of view here. It was late, she may not have been the brightest employee, but to get that ticked off :confused3

My attitude is bless people and move on.

I'm not going to lie, I think this complaint is beyond silly.

$1 coins aren't common and she may geniunely have no idea it's real. To her, you could have made that coin and then why would she accept it?

Not only that, you got the $100 broken which is always a good thing in my book and it's not like you were greatly inconvienced.

you can't be serious??? the chances that $100 dollar bill being fake is much more likely than a $1 coin...and that wasn't here question anyways...she said they only take US money..the United States of America on it should have been her first clue!:confused:

Wow. It's a coin. Just not getting your point of view here. It was late, she may not have been the brightest employee, but to get that ticked off :confused3

My attitude is bless people and move on.

Good attitude! I would of also taken the opportunity to explain to her what the coin was and share some insight. Simply reading the coin would of explained what it was. Not worth getting upset about. I would of found it more interesting and maybe......... entertaining. LOL!

To those who think the $1 coins are common:

Because I used to be a cashier I saw them about once every month but honestly, had I not been a cashier, I would never see one!

Honestly.

I don't take public transportation because I don't need to since everything is close. We don't have tolls here on our Oregon roads and whenever I'm on vacation, we fly and usually don't rent cars.

I would have no reason to bump into a $1 coin. It's the same with $2 bills which are EXTREMELY rare here... unless you specifically ask for one, you could make a safe bet on never getting one in your life.

So, just because it's common where you are doesn't mean it's common for everyone.

And yes, she should have known about a United States legal tender because I think by refusing to take that, she technically did something illegal. But I mean come on!!! Some of you need to calm down! OP should have talked to a supervisor at the time just to verify it was real but really??? REALLY??? Some of you are acting like she committed a sin rather than an innocent act of ignorance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter