Valet Tipping?

Pocahontas1

Mouseketeer
Just a quick question before I leave in six days :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

This is my first time traveling as a single mom. I'm not sure if I can deal with two kids under five, a stroller, bags, etc and hiking through the parking lot at the hotel.

I'm a DVC member, so I'm staying at VWL. I know that valet parking is free to DVC members at the DVC resorts, but I'm not sure how much to tip. Do I tip the guy who takes the car or the one who brings it or both?

Utterly clueless, but want to look like I know what I'm doing.

Some say tip only the guy who goes and gets it for you, but we always tip both. We give $2 each time. Nothing beats valet parking for feeling a little luxurious on vacation!

Valet is my absolute favorite luxury (next to dining out). I tip $2 coming and going. If the weathers bad, its $5 But thats just my way.

Tip only when picking up. A couple of $, perhaps more if it is raining.

Some people tip on drop-off also, but to me that would be like tipping the waiter when they took your order and then again when they brought the food. To me, the service isn't complete until I've got my car back.

And yes, the do pool tips so the person that took your car will get "a piece of the action".

Tip at the end of the service, i.e., when your car is returned to you in good order. $2-$5 depending on how generous you feel.

You are supposed to tip the guy who unloads your stuff ($1-$2 a bag, plus one or two), the guy who delivers your stuff (same amount), and the guy who brings you your car ($2-$3). When you leave, you call for them to come and get your bags, and you tip again (same amount) or you can haul the stuff out to the car yourself. The villas are a bit of a haul from the main entrance, so you make the call.

Tipping the guy who takes your car away seems to be done often by the folks on these boards, but isn't common among most travelers. While I'm sure the valet guys would love it, they don't expect it.

Call for your car about 5-10 minutes before you leave your room, and they'll have it waiting when you get to the exit. Lots of folks go outside to the valet stand and then wait around for their cars to be brought, but there is no need to do that.

Have a great trip!

Thanks, Pochontas1 for asking this question. I use to tip at drop off and pick up, both, then someone clued me in, it's at pick up. Then I actually had a friend laugh, because they thought at $10-20 tip was appropriate, and I only tipped a couple of dollars. I have continued to tip a couple of dollars, and $10, on a holiday, like, "Thanks for working on Christmas!" Don't you love the free valet parking! Have a great trip!
Pocahontas1 said:
Just a quick question before I leave in six days :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

This is my first time traveling as a single mom. I'm not sure if I can deal with two kids under five, a stroller, bags, etc and hiking through the parking lot at the hotel.

I'm a DVC member, so I'm staying at VWL. I know that valet parking is free to DVC members at the DVC resorts, but I'm not sure how much to tip. Do I tip the guy who takes the car or the one who brings it or both?

Utterly clueless, but want to look like I know what I'm doing.

We generally tip $1-2 when they bring the car back to us. If the weather is bad then we will usually go a little higher. If we don't have to wait that long either, we may give a little extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter