Vacuum cleaners

Kathi OD

<marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl
So my vacuum bit the dust over the weekend. DH is going to try and repair it, but who knows that will last, so I want to start looking for a new one.

I don't want to spend a lot of money. Our house is carpeted, but we are putting hardwood in the living room, dining room, and hallways this fall. That means only the 3 bedrooms will have carpet, and as soon as I can save the money to put hardwood in them, those carpets will be gone too.

So, I am looking for suggestions for a good vacuum that won't break the bank.

We have the Bissell Healthy Home Vacuum (about $200). A little bulky, but works great. I've had other Bissell vacuums that were cheaper and really liked them too.

For the hardwoods, I just got the Electrolux Unirapido. Love it. Use it instead of a broom. Very quick and easy.

My plan is the same, once we can afford it, all bedrooms will be hardwood too.

We just bought a Shark Navigator (bagless) im loving it so far..it is light and small and is good for carpet and barefloors. I think it was around $159???

We have the Hoover Nano Light. It is very inexpensive and works great. Great suction, very light and compact. We have had it for a couple years and are very happy with it. Only cons are that the cord is kind of short compared to our last vacuum (we keep an extension cord attached and just wind it right up with the vacuum cord), and the hose for attachments is short too. I love how light it is and it works great...and you can not beat that price! Here's a link:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-Nano-Light-Upright-Compact/10174466

Only $39 at walmart!

Thanks for the suggestions. My current vacuum lasted about 15 years, but cost $300. I just don't want to spend that much this time around, especially since we'll be replacing most of the carpet in the next year or two.

I have used Sears Kenmore canister vacuums for years they do well on carpets and I also vacuum my hard floors with the floor brush not the power head that will do bare floors but I found it threw lot of dirt.

I can't say the kenmores are better than any other vacuum but for what I do I have never found another in my price range that I like better. I've had them mid priced all the way to the most expensive could not tell a dif in the most expensive an the mid priced.

I also just bought a Eureka upright cheapy 40.- 60.00 I don't remember an I use it just on the indoor out door carpet out in my sunroom the carpet is on concrete not much padding so I did not want to use my new kenmoore out there afraid the concrete would tear it up.

I am impressed with how this eureka picks up it really sucked out the dust from carpet 1st time I used it. Just bought the house from a little old lady an I think maybe she had been using a broom an sweeping the carpet on sunroom or she was in bad need of a new vacuum. At the same time I love the eureka for out there I would not like it for inside house to many places the upright just won't go an the weight of pushing around the whole vacuum not kind t my back.

Sears Kenmore cannister vacuum here too-we vacuum everything though- hard surfaces and carpet never found brooms/swiffers etc to do a really good job on hard floors(use floor brush attachment)- the Kenmore is the best for easy on/off of the powerhead to suck up a spider web on the ceiling....go along the baseboards etc. and then switch back to powerhead also has a pretty long power cord which was important to me.

I have used Sears Kenmore canister vacuums for years they do well on carpets and I also vacuum my hard floors with the floor brush not the power head that will do bare floors but I found it threw lot of dirt.

I can't say the kenmores are better than any other vacuum but for what I do I have never found another in my price range that I like better. I've had them mid priced all the way to the most expensive could not tell a dif in the most expensive an the mid priced.

I also just bought a Eureka upright cheapy 40.- 60.00 I don't remember an I use it just on the indoor out door carpet out in my sunroom the carpet is on concrete not much padding so I did not want to use my new kenmoore out there afraid the concrete would tear it up.

I am impressed with how this eureka picks up it really sucked out the dust from carpet 1st time I used it. Just bought the house from a little old lady an I think maybe she had been using a broom an sweeping the carpet on sunroom or she was in bad need of a new vacuum. At the same time I love the eureka for out there I would not like it for inside house to many places the upright just won't go an the weight of pushing around the whole vacuum not kind t my back.

Sears Kenmore cannister vacuum here too-we vacuum everything though- hard surfaces and carpet never found brooms/swiffers etc to do a really good job on hard floors(use floor brush attachment)- the Kenmore is the best for easy on/off of the powerhead to suck up a spider web on the ceiling....go along the baseboards etc. and then switch back to powerhead also has a pretty long power cord which was important to me.

I've always owned a Kenmore canister vac. I've been very happy with them, but just don't want to put out the money on one this time around. If we weren't replacing all the carpets, I'd buy another one without even thinking twice about it.

I got mine for around $100 a few years ago and it works great. I think its a Bissell, but Im not home to look at it. My suggestion is to go to Kmart to see what they have, then before you buy, go on amazon or something and read the reviews on each one. This is what I did!

I would absolutely recommend the Shark Navigator, hands down! The suction on it is incredible, it gets up so much. It works great on wood also. So, no need to sweep, then vacuum. It is also bagless, and has washable filters. Check out the reviews on Amazon, that's what sold me!

We just bought a Shark Navigator (bagless) im loving it so far..it is light and small and is good for carpet and barefloors. I think it was around $159???

I would absolutely recommend the Shark Navigator, hands down! The suction on it is incredible, it gets up so much. It works great on wood also. So, no need to sweep, then vacuum. It is also bagless, and has washable filters. Check out the reviews on Amazon, that's what sold me!

Same here! I bought a Shark Navigator at Bed, Bath & Beyond (using the 20% off coupon you can get when you sign up at their site) about 2-3 weeks ago after reading reviews here on the DIS and on Amazon. I'm loving it so far. The day I got it, I vacumned with my old Kirby, then immediately went over it with the Shark Navigator. I couldn't believe the stuff my old Kirby was leaving behind.:eek:

:thumbsup2 Been married 22 years and on my second one about 3 to 4 years ago...
Best part was new one had the Hepa filter so it was better for allergies/asthma. I was always told DO NOT go with a bagless vacuum if you have allergies/ashtma as particles will re-release into the air when you empty the canister. And even if you empty the canister outside, you're still breathing the particles when you change it. The cloth bags for the Sears canister are a little pricey, but boy do they work great!!!! :thumbsup2

For those with the Shark, do you have any hardwood floors? I was thinking of getting this, but our whole house is hardwood and I saw a few reviews saying the HEPA filter is in the front so it blew the dust around on hardwood.

Recently had to replace the second vacuum in 3 years. Tired of spending $150+ each time (had a high rated Consumer Reports each time) so took a chance with the Hoover Tempo Widepath. Got it at Walmart for $78. Works great. Is lightweight so good for hauling up and down stairs. Haven't had it over 3 months, so can't speak to long term durability. I was worried to "downgrade" but so far it's fine. It is a bagged vac, but that's what I like. I have a dustbuster and hate emptying that thing.

For those with the Shark, do you have any hardwood floors? I was thinking of getting this, but our whole house is hardwood and I saw a few reviews saying the HEPA filter is in the front so it blew the dust around on hardwood.

I just bought my Shark Navigator about 2 weeks ago and LOVE it. This is my 3rd vacumm in 11 years. My first Hoover picked up great but the motor went 7 years later. I decided to get a Dyson and spend all that money andthat was the WORST mistake I made. I vacummed with my Dyson and then again with the Shark and saw SO much more direct that the Dyson didn't get.

So after researching for over a year I decided to go with the Shark and love seeing "lines" on my carpet again. I also use it on the hardwood floor in my living room and don't have any problems at all.

Good luck.

This didn't turn out to be a budget-buster in even the least little bit! DH was able to fix the wiring in my old Kenmore for less than $15, so now I'll keep it. It works just as good as it did when new! :love:

I do appreciate everyone's input! Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter