• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations

Disney Princess

Member Since Day 1
We are about to ditch our old Oreck vacuum cleaner. It sucks (or doesn't suck as the case may be :teeth:). We've had it for 14 years, so I guess it has served us well, but I'm ready to move on. Can you offer a recommendation on an affordable, yet great vacuum cleaner? I'd love a very effective, easy to maneuver, and affordable (less than $200 if possible) option. We have access to Sams and Costco if there are deals to be had there.

My sister-in-law has a Shark Lift-away that she loves. That's going to be my next vacuum.

Just purchased a couple of Dyson vacuum cleaners. OMG - who knew that a vacuum cleaner would work so well! I used a Kohl's 30% off code in addition to the Dyson sale that was going on at the time. I got the original for around $200 and the DC65 Animal for around $300. The Animal is awesome - it cleans everything in your house.

I'd throw another $100 at it and buy the Dyson Multi Floor ball. Got one at Home Depot to replace an old Dyson.

We have 3 dogs and this thing sucks, but in a good way!

I've had my Shark Rotator for about a year and a half now and it's been great, especially with the cat hair. I'm glad I didn't go to the expense of getting a Dyson, because I think I'm getting just as good of results, if not better with the Shark. I have mostly hard surface flooring and like the ease of going from regular vacuuming to the brush roll when I get to my area rug and entry carpet.

I've had my Shark Rotator for about a year and a half now and it's been great, especially with the cat hair. I'm glad I didn't go to the expense of getting a Dyson, because I think I'm getting just as good of results, if not better with the Shark. I have mostly hard surface flooring and like the ease of going from regular vacuuming to the brush roll when I get to my area rug and entry carpet.

My sister-in-law has both (one at home, one at work) and says that the $200 Shark runs circles around the $700 Dyson.

We have the Dyson DC25 and love it. Only thing I wish it had was a bigger canister so I would not have to stop and empty so much. With as much dog hair as it sucks up it fills up quick.

We have a $47 Bissell from WalMart, and that sucker sucks. Can always build a new cat with all the fur sucked up weekly. Just have to remember to empty it outside.

$700 for a vacuum is absurd.

Thanks for all of the replies - I'll start my research on each of these soon. As a question, I googled Shark Lift Away and there seems to be a Shark Rotator Lift Away and a Shark Navigator Lift Away. Any insight into which one I should be researching? Thanks!

Well, it probably isn't an option, but when we did some remodeling I put in a central vac. OMG!! I love it. If you have a raised foundation you might consider it, but it would probably be expensive if you had it installed. Mine was fairly cheap since they were putting in new plumbing lines under the house anyway. LOVE the vacpan in the kitchen. Wish I had one in every room :)

I purchased a Shark Navigator based on a previous vacumn thread here and i have had it 2 years and really wish i had spent the extra for a Dyson. I dont find it good for pet hair and hardwood. Thinking its time to replace it and again not sure what to go with as we have very little carpet (3 bedrooms) the rest is hardwood and tile floor, but also have 2 long haired cats. Who knew vacumn cleaner decisions could be so tough.

My mom bought a Shark Navigator, and I loved it so much that I bought one, too. It's the best vacuum ever. I have three inside dogs and two cats, and it sucks up hair like crazy. It even sucked up a plastic coat hanger one time! My sister eventually caved and bought a Shark, too. We all love them, and they're all slightly different models, so I think Shark must just be an awesome brand. I have their steam mop, too, which is also great. I actually enjoy vacuuming now, but my husband usually beats me to it because he likes to see what all it will do. We've had it for about six months, and it still works like the day we bought it. (I promise Shark isn't paying me for this promotion. I just really love their products.)

I have a Hoover High Capacity wind tunnel pet & its amazing. I've had it for the past 5 yrs and its still going strong. I have my parents to thank. For Christmas many years ago, I asked for a new vacuum as my old bag vacuum just couldn't deal with my big yellow labrador hair issue. It was bad. And the old vintage bagged vacuum kept popping. Not a fun situation. So they got me a basic Hoover wind tunnel. Think they were trying to send me a message re the dog hair? :-) It worked its little heart & motor out for 7 years and then stopped sucking. Not the vacuum's fault. The dog hair was overwhelming. This "new" Hoover wind tunnel pet model has been great and still going strong post labrador. They bought it at Canadian Tire. I'm sure its available at many US retailers & at a very reasonable price. It is heavy and can be awkward to use on carpeted stairs, etc. But its a workhorse. Much like the old Sears Kenmore washer & dryer units (which I also have). Not a fashion statement, but they do the job and last forever. And that's all I want. Or need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter