Vacations with mandatory timeshare presentation?

Nennie

Insert funny comment here!
Anyone ever done this? Is it horrible, or just a little annoying?

Looking at a great deal for a 6 days/5 nights at what appears to be a beautiful resort in Mexico. The catch is that you have to attend a 90 minute presentation/tour about the timeshare.

My gut tells me that there's no way the presentation will only be 90 minutes, but even if it's a couple hours, it still seems like it would be worth it.

Tell me I'm nuts for even considering this!! LOL!!

Who has done this before, and how did it go?

Not something I would do. I have heard horror stories about the hard sell at some of these places. You know the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Those timeshare promos are how I'm able to have more time or money on my vacations. Yeah, they usually last a little longer than they say, but in my opinon, it's worth it. As long as you can handle a little peer pressure, it only takes away half a morning of your whole vacation :goodvibes

:scared1: You're nuts for even considering it.

My experience is 90 minutes is actually a minimum of 2 1/2-3 hours. In that time, not only you will get the sales spiel...but a person that you have never met before will ask prying questions about your lifestyle, vacationing habits, long term family planning goal, and finances. Any and all attempts to hedge and/or dodge the interviewer's gestapo tactics will be met with increasing pressure. After all, if you truly loved and cared for your family...you would buy into the luxuary paradise opportunity being offered. You do love your family don't you? You would like to continue to have affordable family vacations year after year with your children...and one day, grandchilden? Of course, you would...please sign here, initial here, and here. No need for your credit card number, we already have it on file from when you reserved your stay with us.;)

And have kids with you on the trip? How long, realistically, could your kids sit still and be quiet during a business meeting? (Please, don't take that as a slam...I'm sure your kids are wonderfully behaved). But that is what is happening...same as when you go buy a car...except you can't leave.

If do decide to do it, don't make any other plans for that day. That way, you won't be disappointed if the meeting goes over & you miss RSVP's. Check into children's programs offered-so, bored kids won't make a pressured miserable experience worse. Stand firm and go in as a united front that no matter what they say..."We are not interested in buying at this time. Let me take your card, and if we change our mind...we will call you. Thank you for your time." will flow easily and effortlessly.
:flower3:

We did it once and that was enough. They put us in a dump timeshare and not what was in the literature (on the beach). Our presentation lasted ALL afternoon to boot. It was dark before we got out of there.

I did it years ago, at a timeshare place in Arkansas. A couple of hours of walking around, etc. I enjoyed asking idiotic questions such as "So, if we buy when can we move in" and "who else would be living with us".

That said, I would hesitate about flying down to a foreign country and trying this. At least in Arkansas I knew I could just leave and drive back to Texas. Mexico? I don't know. I would not feel real comfortable.

I did it once.. NEVER AGAIN.. There are laws in PA saying no high pressure sales.. Oh yeah right.. this guy was yelling at Patrick face to face with him at one point calling us idiots and stuff.. it was awful. Thing was we wanted to buy in, just not that day. This guy cost himself a sale and saved us 9k :)

I am reminded of the South Park one on the "free" skiing trip with the timeshare presentation!! heheheheheh

Also, I remember reading a while back (over a year ago) about some sort of scam, that in the "fine print" of the presentation it said that if you don't purchase a time share package, a "nominal" fee would be charged for the "luxury vacation" that you experience.

I would be checking out any/all resources on the internet before I signed up for something like that. Good luck!

I found this:

http://www.scambusters.org/timeshare.html

and this:

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/InPerson/MajorPerson/time_shares.htm

And even most interesting, this:

http://thecrapspot.blogspot.com/2008/01/vacation-timeshare-scams.html

let the buyer beware.

(also, remember, you are in a FORIGN country, our consumer law are not valid there)

The presentation maybe 90 minutes but the hard sell is a few hours more. Are you a person who can say no and stick to it? If so, then you might conside it. If not, then run away from the deal.

Have a friend who bought a timeshare in LV. Paid 14 Grand up front, then on top of that they have to pave $500.00 a year in user fees. No way would I do this. Take the $500 and stay in a different resort each trip...

I'm a big timeshare fan, own five. I have been to two timeshare presentations - the first one was a living hell, I vowed I would never do it again. So as a result I steered clear of DVC each time we were at WDW - finally did the presentation and ended up buying - very pleasant, no high pressure, but then again, though don't bribe you with a "free" vacation for attending the presentation.

Since then we have bought four more - all resale, all dirt cheap. We do have to pay annual maintenance, but for the vacations we are getting it is a bargain. But we did a lot of research up front, chose wisely, understand how to exchange to other locations etc.

Even though we are big timeshare fans, I would never, under any circumstances, attend another timeshare sales presentation.

We bought a Hyatt TS. We booked a weekend at the Carmel, CA Hyatt at a really reasonable rate (not free) and had to sit through a few hours. After the presentation, they gave us a voucher for meals at the restaurant there. Much to my surprise, DH wanted to buy (this was after we'd already bought DVC.) We love it. So far, we've only traded in time to stay at the Lake Tahoe Hyatt, but we can stay at any Hyatt TS, and even trade for stays at regular Hyatt-owned hotels. Our grown sons & DDILs have stayed at our TS too.

That said, I wouldn't go too far from home for one of these "presentations". And definitely wouldn't go to Mexico. I just wanted to point out that the name-brand TS don't generally give away stays, but they will discount the stay in exchange for sitting through the spiel!

You can really make this work for you. DH HATES them. He is very nice. ( I am too) but business is business. We were booked into the Hilton Waikaloa on a military rate, which was a great rate for the five days we planned to be there. Lo and behold, I got an offer for $600 for five days including $100 room credit. MUCH better than the military rate, so I grabbed it. The hook was, attend a 90 minute time share presentation. I managed to get "unhooked" from that. I had them send me an email stipulating that. I had them send me an email refunding my money if DH got "activated" with the Army, and when we went we had a great time, $100 room credit and no time share presentation.
Then another time we stayed at the Ka'anapali Marriott in a time share unit through the hotel. While there we were offered a free night if we went to the time share presentation. 90 minutes, well worth it to me. DH and I went, had breakfast, and told them that we would stay for 90 minutes but we were not buying. Best line, " I can invest the principal and stay anywhere I want on the interest for a week and not have the annual fee". They can't argue with that. Hotel rooms go up and down with regard to the economy.

Another time, our family of six got a free Luau in Hawaii at the Hyatt! That time share I was asked to leave because the sales person wanted to get to a "buyer". Clearly I wasn't.

Another time in Hanalei, we had a wonderful dinner ($100) for attending the Hanalei Bay Resort's time share presentation. Well worth the dinner. You just have to be firm. I told them it wasn't a 4 star resort. No moderately priced restaurant, no health club. (It was a great location btw) but you can't be "impressed".

The funniest one that I did was in Newport RI. I walked out of the timeshare presentation to see the model and said to the sales person, "What is that smell?". He said it was the wonderful ocean air... I said, "OMG, it smells like dead fish to me!, No way could I stay here." I got my gift. :rotfl2: and left early :rotfl2:
You can work it by being firm and confident. I am usually out of there in less than the 90 minute.

When timeshare salespersons are having a "tough time", one of the last questions you may be asked is, "Would you take this unit if it were for free". Most people will say yes. Of course they aren't going to give it to you for 'free' but it reopens the dialog about what a great deal it is, and if you can decide "today", they will make you a terrific offer, etc, etc. ad nauseum.

The answer to that question is, "NO, I don't want to feel obligated and committed. I wouldn't take it for free". That makes it clear that you are NOT buying and they give up on you.

You can really make this work for you. DH HATES them. He is very nice. ( I am too) but business is business. We were booked into the Hilton Waikaloa on a military rate, which was a great rate for the five days we planned to be there. Lo and behold, I got an offer for $600 for five days including $100 room credit. MUCH better than the military rate, so I grabbed it. The hook was, attend a 90 minute time share presentation. I managed to get "unhooked" from that. I had them send me an email stipulating that. I had them send me an email refunding my money if DH got "activated" with the Army, and when we went we had a great time, $100 room credit and no time share presentation.
Then another time we stayed at the Ka'anapali Marriott in a time share unit through the hotel. While there we were offered a free night if we went to the time share presentation. 90 minutes, well worth it to me. DH and I went, had breakfast, and told them that we would stay for 90 minutes but we were not buying. Best line, " I can invest the principal and stay anywhere I want on the interest for a week and not have the annual fee". They can't argue with that. Hotel rooms go up and down with regard to the economy.

Another time, our family of six got a free Luau in Hawaii at the Hyatt! That time share I was asked to leave because the sales person wanted to get to a "buyer". Clearly I wasn't.

Another time in Hanalei, we had a wonderful dinner ($100) for attending the Hanalei Bay Resort's time share presentation. Well worth the dinner. You just have to be firm. I told them it wasn't a 4 star resort. No moderately priced restaurant, no health club. (It was a great location btw) but you can't be "impressed".

The funniest one that I did was in Newport RI. I walked out of the timeshare presentation to see the model and said to the sales person, "What is that smell?". He said it was the wonderful ocean air... I said, "OMG, it smells like dead fish to me!, No way could I stay here." I got my gift. :rotfl2: and left early :rotfl2:
You can work it by being firm and confident. I am usually out of there in less than the 90 minute.

Dawn, you rock!! I may not agree with your politics, but I love your attitude. :goodvibes I want to be a fly on the wall at one of these timeshare presentations you attend. :rotfl:

I've never been to a timeshare presentation, but about once a year, we get an offer from a name-brand timeshare (I forget, Hilton maybe??) for a resort in the Florida Keys at a GREAT price. Maybe I'll need to book it and channel you when I attend the presentation!

Most timeshares will state a 90 minute requirement to get whatever they are offering

However... When you get there you will be invited to go into a lounge for snacks, coffee, etc.

When you are finally taken to the salesperson is when the clock starts. You will be invited, after a movie or something, to tour the property. Ths will be in a golf cart. You will be far from the sales office when the 90 minutes is up.

Once you get back you will still have more to go through, possibly a "manager" coming in to offer a better deal than the original salesperson.

Actual total time from arrival to departure will be closer to 2.5 hours rather than 90 minutes. Add in travel time both ways and how much time will you be spending?

Calculate your vacation time and hourly cost.

Take the total number of hours from the time you leave home until the time you return. Then subtract out the time sleeping or otherwise spent in your room. This gives you actual vacation time in hours.

Then take the total cost of your trip, transportation, tickets, lodging, meals, etc. Divide this by the number of hours. This gives you a cost per hour for your actual vacation time.

Now look at what you are getting, and consider how much it is really costing you.

Find out from them in advance exactly where you will be staying, and look for independed reviews of the location. Also find out exactly what the offer contains, and how much money you will have to pay. A lot of these offers are for the room (and tax) only; you have to pay for everything else including all transportation.

I would only do the name brand timeshare presentations. We recently did the Hyatt in Carmel and loved it. We didn't buy but it put me in Hyatt timeshare overdrive for a good month. I was searching high and low for a good resale.

I do plan on doing a Marriott one in Hawaii this year or next but its like Hyatt you pay for the package at a discount and then you attend a 90 minute presentation. We also make sure we look at our watch when it starts and tell them we're not interested from the get go. Most of the time we get in and out quickly.

I'll admit... have never considered before, but this year it has crossed my mind more than once. We have done the DVC, by choice, twice but still haven't decided to commit. I am not afraid of saying no. The problem is I didn't feel like I had to say yes to DVC, because we were not getting anything for going. With these time share presentations, I am afraid I will feel pressured like I owe them something. We want a vacation this year, but will medical bills and loose of job (due to my cancer) we can not afford a normal vacation. I am like OP I REALLY want to believe that I can go do the presentation, leave, and that be it..Convince me it will work.

Most timeshares will state a 90 minute requirement to get whatever they are offering

However... When you get there you will be invited to go into a lounge for snacks, coffee, etc.

When you are finally taken to the salesperson is when the clock starts. You will be invited, after a movie or something, to tour the property. Ths will be in a golf cart. You will be far from the sales office when the 90 minutes is up.

Once you get back you will still have more to go through, possibly a "manager" coming in to offer a better deal than the original salesperson.

Actual total time from arrival to departure will be closer to 2.5 hours rather than 90 minutes. Add in travel time both ways and how much time will you be spending?

Calculate your vacation time and hourly cost.

Take the total number of hours from the time you leave home until the time you return. Then subtract out the time sleeping or otherwise spent in your room. This gives you actual vacation time in hours.

Then take the total cost of your trip, transportation, tickets, lodging, meals, etc. Divide this by the number of hours. This gives you a cost per hour for your actual vacation time.

Now look at what you are getting, and consider how much it is really costing you.

Find out from them in advance exactly where you will be staying, and look for independed reviews of the location. Also find out exactly what the offer contains, and how much money you will have to pay. A lot of these offers are for the room (and tax) only; you have to pay for everything else including all transportation.

You can really avoid that 2.5 hours if you just tell the salesperson outright, I don't like it enough to come back here, and I am not interested. When they say would you take it if it were free, most people say, "well, yes, if it were free", but of course, it isn't ever going to be free, so that is when you say, "Nope, not even if it were free, thank you very much, I have been here too long already, it is time to go, free gift please".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter