vacation time, sick time, PTO?

tiff211

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=blue>Was busted by
I started working for a company that offers PTO instead of vaca and sick time. I have never had that before. I guess it's all your sick, personal and vacation time lumped together.

I get 18 days PTO to start in Jan. I am buying a week so that is another 5 days. Then I get 2 floating holidays so that is 25 days total. That's 5 weeks!!! :woohoo: So hopefully, I can stay healthy and DD's can stay healthy and I can use most of those days for vacation time or DH can use his sick time to stay with them.

Does anyone else have PTO instead of vaca/sick time?

Yes. When I first started it was known as "Accrued Time" then a few years the whole thing was changed and the new name is "PTO" or Pooled Time Off.

On our old system, I could only roll over a certain number of hours (I think it added up to about 2 days worth). Under the new system, any time we have left at the end of the year is fully rolled over into the new year. Also under the old system, if we didn't have enough time accrued, we were allowed to "borrow" 40 hours. We would not accrue anymore until it was "paid" back.

We also get 3 floating holidays to use as "personal time" that have to be used by mid December or we lose it. Which was the same under the old way.

Every employee also has the option of purchasing 40 hours as well. Meaning that if I don't have enough PTO accrued, I can go into my purchased vacation. Whatever is not used by mid December is be paid out. If the employee didn't take the option of purchasing 40 hours, then they could still borrow 40 hours with management approval.

Right now, between my accrued PTO and my Purchased Vacation, I have a little over 3 weeks. Which is the most I've ever had since we switched over to this.

DisneyAddict M - Look at it this way, if you have about or over 3 weeks saved, then that means more vacation time to spend in Disney!

Dh's company has PTO too. I think more and more companies are moving to that because they run into too many problems with people calling in 'sick' to take vacation, etc. This way no one has to justify time off and it is easier all the way around.

I earn 8 hours of pto for every 80 hours I work, a day each pay period that I work and don't take any pto. I get no additional holidays, but I get about 3 hours sick leave for each 80 hours. I can not use sick leave until I've taken 3 consecutive days of pto for illness. When my mother died, I got 3 days off paid without any time taken from either. I also have health insuranced at 10 bucks a week and eat free at work.(I'm a cook at a hospital) And Crackerbarrel said I'd be sorry I quit because of a loss of benefits.:rotfl2:

We have vacation/sick and personal time

12 sick days a year (you save them year to year and when you retire you can sell them back to the company for a very nice check!)

6 personal days

26 vacation days-take all in a row if you want or you can break them into weeks

company paid health insurance (for at least 4 more years, just signed a new contract wher ewe don't pay anything into it again)

company paid pension

oh and I almost forgot-12 paid holidays a year.

I've had PTO for almost 7 years. Love it. I get 22 days. I love that you can use it however you want. I usually end up with a ton at the end of the year so I hardly work in December.

Jenny:)

This is how my company works. We also have the two floating holidays which is nice.

I also have PTO, and given that I have worked there for 25 years I now have 288 hours of PTO, we also work 12 hour days, so every other week of a month, I can take 24 hours of PTO and have 7 days off! I love it, I can actually take a week off every month, and since all of our holidays except Christmas and Thanksgiving float, I have 17 paid days off in July and don't even have to touch my PTO.

Yep, PTO here also. When you start at my company, you start out with 20 days. You earn more for every 5 years you are here (I think) and you can max out at 30. You used to be able to max out at 35, so there are people in my department that have been there over 25 years and are maxed out.

I also get 4 floating holidays (1 per quarter...you can save them to use later in the year, but you can't use them before they are accrued each quarter).

10 paid holidays (might be 8?)

We can't carry any time to the next year, so use it or lose it! I prefer PTO because if I don't get sick, I can use the time for vacation.

Kimya

DH gets PTO. They get the equivalent of 5 weeks/year and 7 holidays. They also can accrue other hours called ELB (extended leave benefit) hours. Those hours don't accrue as quickly as the PTO time does, and are to be used if you have a need to be out for a long period of time, say for surgery. All-in-all, its not a bad deal.

I get vacation time and personal time from my company, and if I want sick time, I have to bank that myself.

My company offers Vaction and PTO (a combination of personal/sick time). You earn 3 weeks/year of vacation for up to 5 years of service and 4 weeks/year after that (I've been there 8 years). You can also keep an extra week on the books over what you accrue.

PTO accrues at 4 hours/month, or 6 days/year. You can carry up to 128 hours before you max out.

I'm almost at my max (for both), so I try and use PTO when I take a day or two off and vacation for my Disney trips.

those 18 days tho probably include all major holidays so its not at much 'vacation' time as you might think. I love my PTO as I am hardly ever sick. I think right now I have over 4 weeks saved up.

At my last job we had PTO, I loved it. Where I work now I have sick/personal days and vacation days, and it's stupid trying to keep it all straight. Our payroll guy and I would LOVE to go to a PTO system, but he says the payroll company isn't set up for it.

I work in a hosptial, I get 4.15 hours every 2 weeks for vacation, I get 9 hours personal time every 3 months, so it adds up to about 4 weeks vacation, we dont get it all up front, we accrue it each week, I have almost 70 hours vacation and 18 hours personal now. We also get sick time but if we use it too much we get written up:sad2:

We get two weeks vacation and two weeks sick leave per year, and there are staff members who make sure they use every hour of sick leave every year, which really puts the honest folks in a bind, since we have have to cover their workloads during their mysterious illnesses without any advance notice. I have taken one week of my sick leave in the last 4 years to take care of my son after his jaw surgery, and I have a sick leave balance of 150+ hours (we are limited as to how many hours we can roll over). I wish we just had personal time off so I, too, could have extra vacation time. One of our coworkers got the flu in December and had to take the days off without pay because she had used her sick leave up. She really pitched a fit and gave herself away when she said "had I known I was going to get sick, I would have planned my sick leave better.":confused3

That's karma.

we have PTO.

It's for Holiday/Sick/Personal time. you pick and choose which holidays are most important to you.

when you start out, you get 28 days (224 hours)/year. then in January of your 4th year, you get another 5. In January of your 8th year you get another 5 for a max of 38 (304 hours.) (I'm currently at 38!) You can take time in intervals as small as .25 hours.

If you don't use it all in a year's time, you can roll it over to the next year --- it goes into a "reserve." If you leave the company, you get paid for what you've accrued that year and up to 80 hours of anything in your "reserve."

we have PTO and FCT (family care time), 80 hours per year for doctors appointments for any immediate family member. That helped out so much for me while my mom was in the hospital this past year. And baby well check ups, dentist appointments...etc...

We have vacation, personal and 2 floating holidays. Since I have been with my company over 5 years, I get 15 vacation, 6 personal and the 2 floating holidays, along with only 6 paid holidays. We can carry over a week of vac and 3 personal days, so I always try to carry over.

We used to have to take the 2 floating holidays between Christmas and New Year's but they changed the rule a few years ago to accomodate any type of observance you wanted througout the year. Last year, I ended up with too much left over even with the carry over that I took almost all of December off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter