• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vacation rentals?

So here's the question I keep coming back to...If this is as good as I think it is; a lot of space and much more comfort for about the same price (and in some cases even cheaper!) as a traditional 1-room hotel, why isn't everyone doing this?

I can only tell you why I don't do it. Last time we rented a condo oceanfront I felt like I was home cooking and cleaning (bathroom / towels/ sand on carpet). I have since decided I like a hotel where I get daily maid service. I want to be close to the action not a car ride away. The condo at the beach was near the beach action but my family bored of the beach quickly. We often travel with family so get 2 or more rooms. I prefer this to saving money and being in one house having to pick up after people.

Another thing is many huge houses come with pools. To me the pools are small and would not be fun. Also I would worry too much having a pool.

This is just my reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So here's the question I keep coming back to...If this is as good as I think it is; a lot of space and much more comfort for about the same price (and in some cases even cheaper!) as a traditional 1-room hotel, why isn't everyone doing this?

We've stayed on property and off. I love wdw, but didn't like being immersed in the "magic" 24-7. I needed some down time. We live close and have AP's and DD is at UCF so we go often...mostly for long weekends so we stay in hotels off site. Last summer was the first time we rented a house (12 of us...extended family vacation for a week) and it was pretty good, had some minor issues that management company resolved quickly.

This summer we are going for a week again (just 4 of us this time) and are renting a townhouse. We like the extra space, full kitchen. I can deal with no daily maid service if we get a king bed in the master (DH is 6'6" and a double bed just don't work for a week :( ). What we are paying for the townhouse for the 7 nights, my friend just paid for 2 nights at a value.

It's all about what is important to you...no right or wrong answers here.

We've thought about staying off resort, but we love the EMH late hours too much.

Also, I now use a scooter and we have no way of transporting it once it's dropped off to us unless we stay onsite. i can't seem to find off resort places with accessible shuttles, but still look from time to time.

For those of you that have experience with this can you please let me know your thoughts on it? If I can rent a 3 BR vacation home for a week with a full kitchen and everything else for cheaper than a hotel, why wouldn't EVERYONE be doing it?

Because some people like Extra Magic Hours and Dining Plans...and having their transportation taken care of...and the power of the Disney brand behind their stay...

Our family? We like chairs...and sofas...and pillow top mattresses...and rooms - with doors that separate them...and adult conversation without waking up kids...and eating at a table instead of sitting on a bed...and 3 bathrooms...and dry swimming trunks...and full sized fridge...and a pool and hot tub just outside our door...and a community pool within a few minutes walk...and eating breakfast on the lanai...and clean clothes...and Wii and foosball and air hockey and billards...and grilling out...and Olive Garden and Taco Bell...and Target...and parking at front door after long days...and the Sherbeth Road shortcut to AK...and spending $1,800 less...

Because some people like Extra Magic Hours and Dining Plans...and having their transportation taken care of...and the power of the Disney brand behind their stay...

Our family? We like chairs...and sofas...and pillow top mattresses...and rooms - with doors that separate them...and adult conversation without waking up kids...and eating at a table instead of sitting on a bed...and 3 bathrooms...and dry swimming trunks...and full sized fridge...and a pool and hot tub just outside our door...and a community pool within a few minutes walk...and eating breakfast on the lanai...and clean clothes...and Wii and foosball and air hockey and billards...and grilling out...and Olive Garden and Taco Bell...and Target...and parking at front door after long days...and the Sherbeth Road shortcut to AK...and spending $1,800 less...

:rotfl2::thumbsup2

All of this! We have five kids and hotel rooms are a pain, plus when I am on vacation I want to be able to put the kids to bed and hang out with dh hard to do in a hotel room full of sleeping children, not even mentioning the absolute challenge of putting kids to bed in a hotel room when excited. Give me a condo any day

if anyone can send me some advice for looking at homes offsite i would be grateful. we have gone four times and always stayed onsit:cool1:

if anyone can send me some advice for looking at homes offsite i would be grateful. we have gone four times and always stayed onsit:cool1:

Melissa,

Try: www.windsorhillsprivaterentals.com

You will deal with directly with owners and can choose a property that will suite your needs. Windsor Hills is a great community and is about 5 minutes from the parks. They have great amenities on site as well. Plenty to keep everyone in your group happy. We stay there exclusively when we visit and we visit twice per year because we love the area so much.

Good Luck

Great option for sure.

But variety is the spice of life. Sometimes you might want to be right at one of the theme parks, have early entry perks, have frequent transportation options that don't require a car, feel more immersed 24/7. Some people have pretty big vacation budgets and love the Disney theming / deluxe resorts (The theming is pretty darn impressive) and can easily pay for that. Sometimes you aren't sure about your trip and want something you can cancel at a moments notice. Sometimes you want restaurants right where you are staying. Maybe you want to save even more than a house rental and camp / bring a pet. Maybe you are attending a conference and are staying where the conference is and someone else is paying. Maybe you want that four star hotel experience that is out of reach for you in NYC, Chicago, or Washington, D.C., but well within your budget in good ole Orlando.

I've done all sorts of different types of accommodations on Orlando trips from camping to Disney Deluxe.

My favorite for value / what I care about on a week long stay is renting a condo from a timeshare owner at an off site timeshare resort. And no I do not ever even spend one minute of vacation time going to a timeshare presentation and might even disconnect my phone to avoid phone calls and don't pick up the welcome package. I usually do my condo rentals from sites like TUG2.net or Redweek.com These have more of the resort feel that I like than home rentals, but give me my kitchen, LV/DR, space, big balcony etc., have tennis courts right nearby too (We're a tennis playing family). The home rental option is great though for larger groups that all want to stay together. I've done that before too.

I'm doing a mini trip in October, though, and not doing either of these. And yes these others would be a little cheaper. I'm just more in the mood on this trip to stay in a four star hotel, and am staying in the Renaissance right across the street from SeaWorld. It's just more what I'm in the mood for and for such a short stay I don't need those condo features.

What they said^

For me, if it's just me and the kids or a short trip we stay on-site. If its a week long we rent a house.

Can anyone recommend a 4 bedroom house with pool/hot tub at Windsor Hill? I'm debating between Windsor and Bonnet Creek. I like the idea of Windsor with a 4 year old and 2 year old...I can bring the video monitor and still swim at the house while they sleep!! We are going in August--my kids are up at 6am EVERY SINGLE DAY so we are planning an early breakfast at the parks, 3-4 hours of fun, house/timeshare for rest and naps, back to the parks for dinner and night time fun!

Thanks in advance!!

Can anyone recommend a 4 bedroom house with pool/hot tub at Windsor Hill? I'm debating between Windsor and Bonnet Creek. I like the idea of Windsor with a 4 year old and 2 year old...I can bring the video monitor and still swim at the house while they sleep!! We are going in August--my kids are up at 6am EVERY SINGLE DAY so we are planning an early breakfast at the parks, 3-4 hours of fun, house/timeshare for rest and naps, back to the parks for dinner and night time fun!

Thanks in advance!!

We stay at Windsor Hills twice a year. We usually stay at a 4 bedroom house in the resort called Villa Park Lane. The owners renovated the villa last year and our kids love it as do we. It's very clean and modern with everything we need. They also have awesome pillow top mattresses which are awesome after a long day at the parks! www.villaparklane.com

We found that house on www.windsorhillsprivaterentals.com. Don't be afraid to contact multiple owners and ask questions to find the house that is perfect for you and your family. It really is an excellent value and a great way for everyone to have their own space.

I'm totally new to the whole idea of renting a vacation home, but it really sounds like the best plan for me and my husband who are going back to Disney/Orlando for our anniversary this year Fall.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best way to go about this, I would like to be able to pick the actual home, Ive been to a site or two and they seem very confusing on which actual place you would be renting :(

I know this has been posted before, but Iam totally overwhelmed and any help anyone could give me would be appreciated.

I would recommend going to Homeaway.com. You can type in the community you are interested in or pick a wider search criteria by selecting Kissimmee, FL. Then use the website filters. You can choose by dates available, number of bedrooms, amenities offered, etc. Once you have selected your criteria, the website will display a list of available properties which match your requirements. Each should offer pictures, a list of amenities, prices and reviews from past guests. You can then email the owner or manager directly to ask questions or reserve your dates. It's a great way to shop for your ideal vacation home.

I'm totally new to the whole idea of renting a vacation home, but it really sounds like the best plan for me and my husband who are going back to Disney/Orlando for our anniversary this year Fall.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best way to go about this, I would like to be able to pick the actual home, Ive been to a site or two and they seem very confusing on which actual place you would be renting :(

I know this has been posted before, but Iam totally overwhelmed and any help anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Vrbo.com

Try vrbo.com

We are like homes in the Windor Hills Community.
Good luck!

THIS!

That is my go to site & that is our most favorite place to stay. I have stayed in a few different condo's at Windsor Hills, all with different owners, and they have all been amazing. I especially love the fact that it is a gated community with a REAL PERSON standing security at the gate 24/7!

I'm pretty sure if you concentrate on getting a vacation rental, you should be able to avoid all those "hidden" fees. It seems like those are more related to hotels and other resorts, especially during the summer. Some vacation rentals are owned by private companies or smaller management companies an you'll be able to avoid those issues. In any case, I totally agree with you about vacation rental properties. They are definitely the way to go when you're on vacation. Best of luck! http://summitresorttexas.com/rates.html

Many are afraid to try something they don´t know.
Many think it is too good to be true and don´t go for it.
Many prefer not to make their own beds during a vacation
And many more reasons.

I booked a really new home 2 months ago that was less than one year old. Large LED Smart TVS, free hi speed internet.
Gated Community, huge pool, and many other amenities.

Let me know if you need more info.

I've never stayed on site but imagine it's for convenience, to be there 24/7, avoid a rental car, and have easy access to restaurants. We personally prefer getting away from it all to relax and only spend 1/2 our days at Disney. Last 2 times we've rented the exact 3BR 2BR condo from the same owner (direct) at Windsor Hills. This time we decided on such short notice it was booked so we were deciding btw a 2BR at Windsor Hills (love this complex and condo bldg. #8 right beside the pool/clubhouse) and the one we rented which is a 4BR townhome with hot tub. Last time had a security deposit which they held until after, cleaning fee waived as stayed more than 7 days (but knew about these in advance) for around $89 a night. This time it's $730 total all taxes, fees included.

We feel we save also by making breakfast and packing snacks and a lunch. We do eat out for dinner but find serving sizes are so large in the US we eat the leftovers for lunch or dinner as well.

Keep in mind you do have to spend a bit on things such as toilet paper, dish soap etc if they are not included. We enjoy being able to spread out and relax in the evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter