UY and borrowing question

MatthewsMommy

Mouseketeer
Sorry for my confusion, but trying to figure this out. I have a Sept UY and my home resort is Aulani. We have a trip booked to Aulani for Feb 2016 and used our remaining 2014 points and borrowed from 2015. I may take my sister and nephew on a trip this summer to WDW and thought I could borrow from UY2016, but it doesn't look like I can. I know this is where I'm confused because of having Sept as my UY month. So a few questions:

Does this mean I can't borrow from 2016 until after 9/1/15??

If I cancel my Aulani trip, I know all points used to make the reservation are returned to the UY in which the Reservation falls. If I then use those points for a trip this summer, when can I re-book Aulani for 2016 and borrow UY16 points? If I do have to wait until September to re-book Aulani for Feb, what is the likelihood of availability for a 1BR?

You are currently in your 2014 UY, (Sept 2015 isn't here yet).

Feb 2016 in in your 2015 UY. Did you bank your 2014 points for the Feb 2016 vacation?

I think that your dates may be off, check and see what you really used to book the Feb reservation.

:earsboy: Bill

So you banked the points from your Sep 14-Aug 15 UY into the following year. You haven't borrowed your points because Feb 16 is within your 15-16 UY, beginning on 1 Sep 15. If you have used all of your 14/15 points and all of your 15/16 points for your Aulani trip, then you would not be able to book a trip which started before 1 Sep 2015 as you do not have any points left.

The only way you could do it would be to cancel your Aulani trip or (although I'm not sure if MS could or would do this) request to borrow points from your 2016 UY to pay for your Aulani trip. This would then leave points in your 2015 UY which you could borrow for a summer trip.

You are currently in your 2014 UY, (Sept 2015 isn't here yet).

Feb 2016 in in your 2015 UY. Did you bank your 2014 points for the Feb 2016 vacation?

I think that your dates may be off, check and see what you really used to book the Feb reservation.

:earsboy: Bill
Yes, I had to bank the 2014 points before booking the Feb 2016 vacation. It shows that I used those points and "borrowed" from 2015 for this trip.

So you banked the points from your Sep 14-Aug 15 UY into the following year. You haven't borrowed your points because Feb 16 is within your 15-16 UY, beginning on 1 Sep 15. If you have used all of your 14/15 points and all of your 15/16 points for your Aulani trip, then you would not be able to book a trip which started before 1 Sep 2015 as you do not have any points left.

The only way you could do it would be to cancel your Aulani trip or (although I'm not sure if MS could or would do this) request to borrow points from your 2016 UY to pay for your Aulani trip. This would then leave points in your 2015 UY which you could borrow for a summer trip.
This is what I was thinking too. I just don't want to take the chance of not getting a reservation at Aulani if I were to cancel the trip and re-book after Sept 1, 2015. I may have to tell my sister we can go next year :-). Thanks for your help!

Yes, I had to bank the 2014 points before booking the Feb 2016 vacation. It shows that I used those points and "borrowed" from 2015 for this trip.

Point usage is based on dates of the stay. You would not borrow pts from 2015 for a stay in Feb 2016 - those are current pts.

If you banked 2014 pts for a reservation, you would also have access to pts from 2015 (current) and 2016 (borrowed) at the same time for that same reservation.

Where did you see the description that said that the pts were borrowed?

Remember that UY has nothing to do with when you call to book the reservation...

Last edited:
Point usage is based on dates of the stay. You would not borrow pts from 2015 for a stay in Feb 2016 - those are current pts.

If you banked 2014 pts for a reservation, you would also have access to pts from 2015 (current) and 2016 (borrowed) at the same time for that same reservation.

Where did you see the description that said that the pts were borrowed?

Remember that UY has nothing to do with when you call to book the reservation...
Now I'm not sure where I saw it as borrowed, so I think I just got confused when trying to make a reservation for this summer online. From what I can tell, I should be able to cancel Aulani, book the trip for July and borrow from UY15. Then I can still rebook Aulani and borrow from UY16.

I really just needed to "talk" this out with the experts!! Not even sure if my sister can go yet, but I'd hate to have to tell her I was mistaken. This would be her and my nephew's first trip so we'll likely get the dining plan for character meals, and he only has another year until he turns 10.

You really need to double check this. Perhaps posting your point totals would help. It sounds like you used banked points from 2014 and current points from 2015. Did you already borrow from 2016, too?

You really need to double check this. Perhaps posting your point totals would help. It sounds like you used banked points from 2014 and current points from 2015. Did you already borrow from 2016, too?
Thanks! I do plan to call once I know my sister can go. My contract is for 220 pts. For the Aulani Feb 2016 trip, I did the following:

Banked from 2014: 41 pts
Used from 2015: 211 pts
Remaining 2015: 9 pts

I did not borrow any from 2016. I believe that's where I got confused because I knew I could borrow from 2016 for this particular trip but didn't need to. So when I checked online for a trip this summer, I only had 9 pts left from 2015 and could not borrow from 2016 because the trip fell before UY15. Hope that made sense. Can you tell I'm new at this?

Will you lose your room for Aulani if you do that? If not, then cancel it and book your Summer 2015 trip, then rebook Aulani Feb 16 by borrowing 2016UY points.

If you're at risk of losing the Aulani Feb room, this is what I would do: Say you need 100pts for Summer. Book a 91pt reservation online after Sept 2015 by borrowing 2016 UY points. Cancel it. Call MS, ask them to reallocate Feb Aulani trip to free up 2015 current points. Then you should end up with 91 + 9 = 100pts of 2015 UY points.

Will you lose your room for Aulani if you do that? If not, then cancel it and book your Summer 2015 trip, then rebook Aulani Feb 16 by borrowing 2016UY points.

If you're at risk of losing the Aulani Feb room, this is what I would do: Say you need 100pts for Summer. Book a 91pt reservation online after Sept 2015 by borrowing 2016 UY points. Cancel it. Call MS, ask them to reallocate Feb Aulani trip to free up 2015 current points. Then you should end up with 91 + 9 = 100pts of 2015 UY points.
No, there is still full availability for all 1 BR categories for the week I'm going. It's my home resort so still have a few months before the 7 month window opens up.

I appreciate everyone's help with this! My sister has been wanting to go for years, but one thing or another has always prevented a trip. My DH suggested that we go together with our boys, so I'm just waiting on an OK from my BIL. While summer isn't my ideal choice of season to go, I will if that's the only time she can get away!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter