• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Utterly Disgusting Restaurant Situation.

Bella the Ball 360

Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.<br><font
: So yesterday DH and I stop at a large chain restaurant (not mentioning their name b/c it was not their fault) and while waiting for food I get up to use the ladies room. As i pass a register I see a server with long gray hair tied back (not relevant except that it servers for later identification). ON my way back from LR I glance in the kitchen, something I like to do to see how clean and since it was open, servers waiting for food were totally visible.

I look in and see Mr. Ponytail PICKING:scared1: his NOSE!!!! YES up to his elbow as he waited to pick up the food for his tables!! Needless to say I was sick to may stomach. I get back to the table and the sever comes over (our food had arrived). Of course DH was eating and did not miss a beat! When the server came over and checked I told her what happened and she said she would tell the manager.

The manager never came over and even apologized or at least said he would talk to the sever who I SAW delivering food right after the incident. NOW as disgusting as this was, if he were not in the KITCHEN waiting to pick up I would have still been grossed out but MIGHT have been able to talk myself into thinking he washed his hands...there was no way he did!

Do you think the manager should have at least come over and put my mind to rest by saying that he had spoken to the employee?

Do NOT turn this into a "I was a server and here are some of the disgusting things I have seen " thread. I KNOW this stuff goes on but jeesh at least do it in the bathroom where I can rationalize that he washed his hands.

Last time we were at Le Cellier, a server was "digging for gold" constantly. It was so gross. If he had been my server, I would have spoken up, but - I was just blissfully happy that he was not.:)

The manager probably didn't come over because it is such an embarrassing topic for the server, jmo.

Last time we were at Le Cellier, a server was "digging for gold" constantly. It was so gross. If he had been my server, I would have spoken up, but - I was just blissfully happy that he was not.:)

The manager probably didn't come over because it is such an embarrassing topic for the server, jmo.

You may be right but I guess I wanted to hear that they have VERY STRICT sanitation rules....kind of like I want to believe in Santa Claus. I know it was stupid but if they at least said it I would have tried to believe it.

I know what you mean. Yes, gross things do go on in most kitchens, but it is frightening when yo see those things in public. Makes you wonder how much worse it is in the kitchen, where you can't see!
I was at Wendy's waiting to get a little cup of mustard when I saw the worker tear open the bag of mustard with his teeth. Never mind...I'm good...

:scared: OMG ~ we problably have no idea of what goes on behind closed doors... in the kitchens! :scared1:

:scared: OMG ~ we problably have no idea of what goes on behind closed doors... in the kitchens! :scared1:

And as gross as it sounds I like to think it is like a fantasy land where all is sweetness, light and sanitation!! I don't want to know just like I don't want to know how David Copperfield does his tricks.....amaze me!

I used to be a server and was absolutley adamant about food safety rules and handwashing. I very rarely saw anything that was horrible, and it got taken care of. Most restaurants do care about food safety because if we make you sick:
a.) You will not eat there again
b.) We could get a hefty fine.

Yes, the manager should have come and talked to you after you requested to specifically see him. This might be one of those situations where you call corporate, not just because of the nose picking but also because the manager failed to come to talk to you after requested.

Let me add a gross!!!

There is a chance though that the server never told the manager - so odds are the manager did not even know (lets hope this is the case)

Anytime I see any of my employees touching their face, clothes, anything inappropriate I remind them of food safety/sanitation and direct them towards the sink.

I know anytime I see a customer oroblem, (or even a not so happy look from a customer) I am right there to find out what was wrong, and what I can do to make it right. I would hope that the manager never heard the complaint (bad on the server, but obviously they wouldn't care like the manager) and that is why the problem was never addressed.

That is disgusting, but if it makes you feel any better, there is a chance he may have still washed his hands. Every restaurant I have ever worked in has had at least one sink in the kitchen for hand washing.

Not saying that makes it ok to dig for gold in the kitchen, and I don't think I ever saw another server do that, and the manager definitely should have come to your table since you asked to speak to the manager, if he/she received the message.

One time when DH had got a job he really wanted,we went out to dinner to celebrate.Well on a recommendation from his dad we went to a nice little Italian restaurant.We sat down,gave our drink orders,went up and got our salads.Well after we sat back down DH was talking and I just happened to glance at the wall behind him and there was a large roach climbing up the wall behind him:scared1: I started squirming in my seat as I am extremely frightened of roaches.2 seconds later there was another one getting ready to crawwl inside of my jacket,by then the owner came over to our table.I told DH I could no longer stay.:sick:

I really don't allow myself to think about these things or else I'd never dine in a restaurant again...:sad2:

jon

I would have demanded to see the manager. That is absolutely disgusting. I really doubt your waiter told the manager...she probably didn't want to be seen as a snitch.

How do you know he didn't wash his hands?

Just because he was in the kitchen you think he didn't?

I'm a waitress and our kitchen has a sink just for "handwashing."

Our cooks wash their hands in the kitchen a lot, maybe the server did too.

I'm not saying it wasn't gross to see a server picking his nose and yes, he should have done it in the bathroom with a tissue. But, you really don't know that he didn't wash his hands, do you?

On a related note, I worked for years at a coffee cafe. Once, when I had a terrible cold, I sneezed into my hands (it came too fast to grab a tissue!) and went to the sink to wash up. I turned to the lady waiting next in line and told her I would be right with her. She actually got angry at me and insisted she had been waiting and wanted to be served "right now." She had seen me sneeze into my hands!! I mean, YUCK!

On a related note, I worked for years at a coffee cafe. Once, when I had a terrible cold, I sneezed into my hands (it came too fast to grab a tissue!) and went to the sink to wash up. I turned to the lady waiting next in line and told her I would be right with her. She actually got angry at me and insisted she had been waiting and wanted to be served "right now." She had seen me sneeze into my hands!! I mean, YUCK!

I had some guy act the same way when I told him that I would be with him in a minute as I had to wash my hands after handling garbage.... He got huffy and left.... Maybe he likes the dirt of garbage touching his money...his FOOD...his DRINK..... :scared1:

How do you know he didn't wash his hands?

Just because he was in the kitchen you think he didn't?

I'm a waitress and our kitchen has a sink just for "handwashing."

Our cooks wash their hands in the kitchen a lot, maybe the server did too.

I'm not saying it wasn't gross to see a server picking his nose and yes, he should have done it in the bathroom with a tissue. But, you really don't know that he didn't wash his hands, do you?

So, you are saying that it is okay to stand in a kitchen where food is prepared for the public and pick your nose IF you wash your hands after. I do not want to have to EVEN question this! Keep in mind that while being a server is your job, what you serve goes into a customers mouth and can make for a VERY nasty illness! I sense hostility in your reply and frankly I do not understnd it. PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON YOUR FACE, PICKING YOUR NOSE, BITING FINGERNAILS ETC ARE NOT acceptable in a kitchen serving the public. If you choose to do it at home more power to you but I do not PAY to eat in your house. When I dine out it should be a pleasurable experience and I should NOT have to question IF a server has clean hands, whether I see him wash them or NOT!!

So, you are saying that it is okay to stand in a kitchen where food is prepared for the public and pick your nose IF you wash your hands after. I do not want to have to EVEN question this! Keep in mind that while being a server is your job, what you serve goes into a customers mouth and can make for a VERY nasty illness! I sense hostility in your reply and frankly I do not understnd it. PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON YOUR FACE, PICKING YOUR NOSE, BITING FINGERNAILS ETC ARE NOT acceptable in a kitchen serving the public. If you choose to do it at home more power to you but I do not PAY to eat in your house. When I dine out it should be a pleasurable experience and I should NOT have to question IF a server has clean hands, whether I see him wash them or NOT!!

Did you read the last line of my post where I said "yes, he should have done it in the bathroom with a tissue?" I did NOT say it was okay for him to be picking his nose in the kitchen. I don't get where you think I said it was okay, I really don't. :confused3 I very well understand that a server needs to have CLEAN HANDS. I've been a waitress for 12 years. Even after checking a customer out at the register, handling their money, I automatically turn to the sink and wash my hands before going back to the kitchen to get another customer's food, or to go around refilling coffee, etc.

And I have no idea how you sense hostility in my post. :confused3 I was simply informing you about the "hand washing sink" that is in most (if not all) restaurant's kitchens. And that hopefully he DID make use of that sink before he came out.

Maybe if you worry so much that a server's hands aren't clean enough, you should stay home and cook your own food with your own clean hands.

That is disgusting.
However, having worked in the food service industry, it doesn't surprise me. I know of a chain resteraunt near where I live where the store mgr doesn't (or didn't used to anyway) make the cooks wash their hands or wear gloves while handling raw meat. He also would not give the drink servers anything clean/disposable to wipe down the cups with (in case of an accidental overfill and had to be wiped down), just nasty, dirty old rags that were only washed god only knows how often.

Not all restaurants (or their employees) are that way. I worked in two restaurants, McD's and Rainforest Cafe. Both were spotless and the employees were all very carefull about hand washing. At RFC I wasn't even a server, I was a hostess and rarely touched food and I still washed my hands before starting my shift, anytime after going in the wash room, and several times during my shift "just because". All the other employees were the same. As for the kitchens, you could eat off the floors, they were spotless at both restaurants.

All that said, had I witnessed what the OP did, I'd be totaly :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter