Utter Dismay at Virgin prices

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We need to be Team Indirect. I don't think I would ever pay more than £100 each extra to fly direct. The benefits aren't worth it, especially given the reported immigration times at MCO lately...

I totally agree. I'm actually worried about seeing cheaper direct flight prices that would compel me to endure that immigration queue :lmao:

personally I would always pay say an extra £100 extra to fly direct anyday. I think the difference in how much extra time it takes it's well worth that. BUT I would start to re-think if it starts getting into the £200+ each range.:)

Hi,
It always makes me smile when people talk about "indirect flights"
VA & BA offer non-stop flights. Other airlines such as Delta or United offer direct flights.
As the term suggests a non-stop flight goes from A to B with no stops. A direct flight goes from A to B with stops in between.

Mick.

Hi,
It always makes me smile when people talk about "indirect flights"
VA & BA offer non-stop flights. Other airlines such as Delta or United offer direct flights.
As the term suggests a non-stop flight goes from A to B with no stops. A direct flight goes from A to B with stops in between.

Mick.

It's not direct - it doesn't go DIRECTLY to your destination?!? Furthermore, it's not exactly just a case of "stopping" - you get off of one flight (plane and flight number) and then on to an entirely different plane/flight number?!?

The term indirect is used by almost every travel agent and online booking site, plus comparison sites such as Skyscanner :confused3 In fact, many of these sites ask if you if you "prefer direct" (i.e. prefer non-stop)?!?

I can't imagine why anyone would use the term direct for a flight that is not? Would you call it a direct train if you had to change half way there? What about a bus where you got off one bus and then on another?

Aer lingus have been great the three previous trips we have taken with them. Flights on time and service great. Clearing immigration in Dublin saves so much time.
The extra leg room seats are great as well plenty of room.
We looked at virgin and ba but the prices are just ridiculous this year. It's still cheaper to fly PE from Scotland than standard economy! Still over our budget.

looking into indirect with aerlingus

Can anyone give me details on the food and entertainment?

If it takes indirect for us to be able to afford it, then indirect it is.:)

looking into indirect with aerlingus

Can anyone give me details on the food and entertainment?

If it takes indirect for us to be able to afford it, then indirect it is.:)

You have to pay extra for the food if you want it. Not something I would consider, we would rather eat before boarding or take our own food unless flying business class.
No idea about entertainment, I just listen to my own music and sleep.
Hopefully someone will post who has already tried their service.

I am seriously considering Aer Lingus next year and was looking at their in flight entertainment today.It seems to me to be the same as VA.Only down side is it only flies on a tuesdays and a saturdays which may be an issue for us.
Heres the link to the entertainment pagehttp://www.aerlingus.com/inflight-experience/comfort-and-entertainment/longhaul/

Hey,

We are flying Aer Lingus for the second time in September this year and we can't fault them! We are flying Glasgow- Dublin, Dublin - Orlando!

Admittedly my husband hates the Glasgow Dublin flight (he calls the plane a 'puddle jumper'

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We need to be Team Indirect. I don't think I would ever pay more than £100 each extra to fly direct. The benefits aren't worth it, especially given the reported immigration times at MCO lately...

Kath - I am also with you on this we enjoyed indirect and are flying with AA via Miami this year - arriving in MCO at 17.20 so good times too.

I'm not going to lie... If money was no object we'd be Direct Upper Class with Virgin all the way! But money is an object and I prefer cattle class & in-direct and more money to spend on food, drinks and a better hotel when out there.

Admittedly, DH is the tall one in our family at 5ft8 so we never feel cramped - but the flight really is a means to an end. And as some one who often has 3-4 hour journeys via train and plane for work meetings - I am quite at ease with the commute these days! In fact it is more fun as I know the benefit is 2 weeks in Florida and not a boring, stuffy 3 hr meeting!

I'm not going to lie... If money was no object we'd be Direct Upper Class with Virgin all the way! But money is an object and I prefer cattle class & in-direct and more money to spend on food, drinks and a better hotel when out there.

Oh likewise - if we had the disposable cash, we'd splash out too! But we don't, so I'd rather get three indirect return flights for the price of one return with VA and go three times as often :thumbsup2 And, actually, I'd upgrade all the other aspects of the holiday first (accommodation, tickets, meals, shows etc. as that's what we are there for, not sitting on a plane for just 18 hours total!)

I did indirect to nyc via Chicago. It wasn't as bad as I thought but prefer direct. I would book indirect if the difference was more than 75 per person as that adds up with four of us. My 11 year old daughter prefers indirect with no ife. She hates seat back tv's.

She hates seat back tv's.

Not by herself, tiny screen with scenes cut, its not for me. Last film I watched was the 1st Ice age, watched it again on TV, couldn't believe how much they had cut on the flight, it was like watching a different film.

wayneg said:
Not by herself, tiny screen with scenes cut, its not for me. Last film I watched was the 1st Ice age, watched it again on TV, couldn't believe how much they had cut on the flight, it was like watching a different film.

I remember one flight they showed This Is England - I can only imagine it was the opening credits then the closing credits the amount they would have had to cut from a film like that :lmao:

:goodvibes

They showed this is England on a flight to disney? Wow! We are going economy with VA this October but had to play with dates, it was £1000 cheaper for our family of 4 to fly on a Tuesday than it was the Friday. Luckily Disney were great and amended our booking for us. Good luck getting a flight!

helenlovesdestroy said:
They showed this is England on a flight to disney? Wow!

Well, a flight to Orlando. There we probably lots of people on the flight who were going nowhere near Disney :)

:goodvibes

remember to also check through the US booking web sites (orbiz ect) we nearly gave up trying to go last Xmas but eventually found flights (1 stop in ny from glasgow) for £600 econ each. UK sites all quoting over £1000. May not be as good a deal due to dollar exchange but still prob a lot cheeper.

remember to also check through the US booking web sites (orbiz ect) we nearly gave up trying to go last Xmas but eventually found flights (1 stop in ny from glasgow) for £600 econ each. UK sites all quoting over £1000. May not be as good a deal due to dollar exchange but still prob a lot cheeper.

Yes, but because you pay in full when you book the flights, at least you can see what the interbank rate is so you know what you're paying at the time and can decide if it's good value :) It's the bookings where you are paying off over a period of time where you really have to worry about the uncertainty of the currency! So that's a great idea. Funny, I always used to check out the US sites and haven't looked at all this year so thanks for the reminder :thumbsup2

Virgin have been ridiculous this year, we booked in the BA sale direct to Orlando in P.E. 2 adults 1 child for £2222. Have a look at BA if that doesn't work for you, consider indirect flights with Delta Economy Comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter