• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

uterine ablation - anyone?

I had it done 3 years ago and best thing ever! I haven't had a period since! I was under general. Was a bit campy but nothing terrible!

I lied. Apparently this is what I was -going- go have before they discovered the polyps. Ugh. Hahaha but hopefully this otherr procedure will do something similar

Having this done was one if the best decissions I ever made. I had my procedure 6 years ago this upcoming spring. Very easy procedure. Only a Day Surgery- out in a few hours. Never looked back... I havent had so much as a spot in almost 6 years and if I ever do- I ll have it done again.
I highly recommend having it done!

The twilight I could handle...I wonder why you ddidn't have a D and C? I was having 3 things done - the third I don't remember...eblasion, d and c and some uterine something....It was all heavy duty sounding once the hospital made me watch the video on it! I was better off in the dark!!!!

I had an ultrasound done the week before the procedure and it was determined there was no need for the D & C, I had the Novasure ablation only. Sounds like you have other issues- sorry, I guess you have a few more procedures than I needed at the time.

Whatever you decide just listen to your gut and do what makes sense to you. Just be sure to keep taking to iron so you don't get too anemic. The best thing is that I NEVER have to buy pads anymore! Well, unless i have a bad cough...lol (ladies ,you know what I mean!)

Thank you to everyone who has answered this thread. I am going to my GYN in a few weeks and I was going to ask for a hysterectomy due to multiple issues. After reading this thread, I may ask for this instead. It sounds like it does the same thing without the major surgery.

I'm happy to see this thread. This is something I have been thinking about doing. My GYN tried to talk me into it about a year ago but I just wasn't sure I wanted to do it. These comments help...I would love to be period free!!!

mrssmith06 said:
I'm happy to see this thread. This is something I have been thinking about doing. My GYN tried to talk me into it about a year ago but I just wasn't sure I wanted to do it. These comments help...I would love to be period free!!!

Well, just be sure you understand, uterine ablation may not totally stop your cycles. Some women do have that result. Others may have periods stop, then resume slowly over time. And some, like me, will just have their periods shortened and lightened, but not ended.

Not that I minded. Before the procedure my periods were 10 days long and very heavy. When I started keeping records I was astounded...45 pads&50 tampons in the first 2 days of every period! Supplies cost me about $30-40/month! And I felt like crap! After the procedure, the periods went to a nice normal 3 days, light and not problematic. I was thrilled.

Be realistic about what uterine ablation can do and I don't think you will be disappointed.

My dr was just telling me about this procedure in October. I have been having extremely heavy/clotty periods for just about a year. Sometimes I'm afraid to leave the house due to having accidents. (yes at 43 I'm worried about it).

She determined I have a huge fibroid Tumor that would be causing the excessive clotting and she found a polyp. She did 2 ultrasounds - one she injected dye. ( not fun!). The polyp has me worried bc it is not shaped the way it should be- long stalk / finger like. My cycles last 5 days but days 2-4 are horrible. I have finally been having normal 28ish day cycles after years of irregular cycles and 21 yrs of infertility. Lately I have begin to spot mid cycle.

I can't go on birth control bc it increases my migraines and raises my blood pressure.

I actually called today to schedule the surgery to remove the polyp. Awaiting a call back.

For those how have had the ablateratiom. Do u used a form of birth control after the procedure. I read that it is recommended but the doctor did not say anything about it when she recommended the procedure., I see some posters have had a tubal and that wasn't mentioned either. We currently use no BC.

I am still struggling with the idea of no more children. I've lost 2 pregnancies and built our family through adoption. I guess that shimmer of hope always hangs there. I know this procedure will take that away. Part of me is ok with that but the other half of me wants to keep it open.

Last August we went to WDW and I tried BC to keep my period from joining us. OMG it was the worse thing to do btwn the major migraines and the bleeding that started while on the pill. I had back to back the packs and it was horrible.

The surgery does not worry me it's how I will feel knowing we are done with children.

It is helpful to read others experiences.

A few years back my iron level was a 4 . Yikes! I was tested with a colonoscopy and given iron pills which I hated. I since found a natural all iron food pill called FerroFood that is my miracle!!! My iron is up and would be considered "normal" by any doctor but I must take it daily.

I visited my obgyn and talked myself into a uterine ablation. I rationalized that my periods WERE heavy but fairly regular. Once in a while they go haywire 3x a year and seem to either skip a month or come a week early. I do have a small fibroid as well. Because I am anemic (although controlled on my Ferro Food) this seemed like a great solution.

Well the surgery WAS scheduled yesterday and I chickened out. The anestheia was heavy duty (as in you are out vs. a twilight). I am thinking of maybe rescheduling but for those of you that had it done - did you have it done b/c you could not control your iron?? If you could control your iron like I have is it worth having? thanks

Oh my gosh I am so sorry you canceled. I had a uterine ablation done in June. Best. Thing. Ever. I still have a period, but it is extremely light. My iron was low enough before the procedure that my doctor was talking transfusions. Ack!. My iron has come up to barely normal, but I have absorption issues. Still, huge improvement.

I had Novasure and I was in and out in no time. I think the whole thing took like 15 minutes. I've had anesthesia many times for various things, including open heart surgery. This was a piece of cake.

Reschedule!
Had it done July 2011 at age 50.
I was scared and put it off for years. Big mistake. It's been wonderful not having to schedule my life around my period.

I thought I would add my experience to this since I just had my Novasure ablation on Friday. It was done at an outpatient surgery center under general anesthesia. The anesthesia wore off very quickly and I felt fine afterward. I have since had some mild cramping and spotting, nothing ibuprofen and a regular pad can't handle. I don't expect mine to be 100% successful since there was an area the ablation couldn't reach. As long as my periods are more normal than the flooding and clotting I have been experiencing before the ablation, I will be happy. You do have to use some form of birth control afterward as a pregnancy can be very dangerous after an ablation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter