USPS Lost Tax Refund ?

fadingnebula

Earning My Ears
The IRS "Where's My Refund" site says my refund was mailed on March 16. It's now March 27. Subtracting Sundays, that is 9 days, which is three times what USPS says first class mail should take. Should I be concerned? Has anyone had their return check lost in the mail?

Call the IRS - I think this is the # to use: 1-800-829-1040. If it was lost, they can simply issue you a new check. If it was cashed (stolen, etc), there's a few hoops you're going to have to jump through - they'll fill you in. Good luck.

Next year...why not have them direct deposit your refund? It really works nicely!

I would say wait longer...and use this as a reason to consider direct deposit in the future, it's much, much quicker.

Ours was lost a couple of years ago. Be prepared to make several phone calls to get it re-issued. I think it took 8 weeks to get it re-sent. I never once spoke to a real person on the phone. It is a completely automated system.

Next year...why not have them direct deposit your refund? It really works nicely!

:thumbsup2

Dh and i have done this every year since we've been married and it comes within 2 weeks every year, including this year when we were it would take 3. 10 days later it was processing into our bank acct.

I hope they find your check.

This! I didn't even think they sent out checks anymore? :confused3 I wouldn't trust a check like that to the mail! Good luck!

This! I didn't even think they sent out checks anymore? :confused3 I wouldn't trust a check like that to the mail! Good luck!

Not everyone has a bank account.

OP, at 9 days, I'd probably start the worry dance, but not call the IRS. The USPS isn't the most fast and reliable service out there... give it a few more days, then start calling. :goodvibes

I know the USPS was talking about extending the delivery timeline for first class mail by adding several days to the turnaround time..I am not sure if they have implemented that yet. It might be worth looking into to see if the turnaround changed and if that is the reason for the delay.

At 9 days I would be worrying but probably not call the IRS just yet..I would probably give it a few more days and then call.

I think 9 days is long enough. Just hope your refund did not pass through the Richmond office, it has the worst rate of all the USPS processing centers in the whole country. And just think, the USPS is closing the Norfolk center to send that mail to Richmond and back again. OH YEAH!! That makes sense:rolleyes1

I recently had a first class card mailed from TX to the NYC area take 3 weeks to arrive. Everything on the card was fine, address, no damage, etc. I guess it just "floated" around for awhile.:confused3

wow I wasn't even aware that they still actually mailed checks to some people! Direct deposit is the way to go next around! The post office is making cuts so everything takes longer now!

The IRS "Where's My Refund" site says my refund was mailed on March 16. It's now March 27. Subtracting Sundays, that is 9 days, which is three times what USPS says first class mail should take. Should I be concerned? Has anyone had their return check lost in the mail?

It's possible that the information on the website is incorrect.

Not everyone has a bank account.

OP, at 9 days, I'd probably start the worry dance, but not call the IRS. The USPS isn't the most fast and reliable service out there... give it a few more days, then start calling. :goodvibes

How is it possible in this day and age to *not* have a bank account? :confused3

Wow! I didn't even think that was possible!

From a USA Today article in 2010: Nearly 8% of U.S. households, or about 17 million people, don't have bank accounts, according to a 2009 study by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. An additional 18% — 43 million people — are "underbanked," which means they have bank accounts but occasionally use check-cashing companies, pawn shops, liquor stores or other alternatives to cash checks, pay bills and borrow money. African Americans and Hispanics are much more likely to be unbanked or underbanked than whites, the report found.

That's why Walmart does such a big business of cashing checks for people. It's hard where I live to do a return at Walmart because there is always a line of people buying money orders, cashing paychecks and doing western union transfers at the service desk.

From a USA Today article in 2010: Nearly 8% of U.S. households, or about 17 million people, don't have bank accounts, according to a 2009 study by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. An additional 18% — 43 million people — are "underbanked," which means they have bank accounts but occasionally use check-cashing companies, pawn shops, liquor stores or other alternatives to cash checks, pay bills and borrow money. African Americans and Hispanics are much more likely to be unbanked or underbanked than whites, the report found.

That's why Walmart does such a big business of cashing checks for people. It's hard where I live to do a return at Walmart because there is always a line of people buying money orders, cashing paychecks and doing western union transfers at the service desk.

Yes, I see a lot of people who prefer to use money orders and not deal with banks. However, that being said, I often wonder if it has more to do with the fact that nowadays if you mess up your account, as in overdraw it etc, you are placed on some list that restricts you from having an account for so many months or years.

OP, I would definitely call the IRS if it is not here within 14 days. Others are right. I paid extra recently for overnight delivery on a Tues, no holidays or weekends, and it still took 3 days. I was kinda mad about it since it was my gdson's birthday present. In the end, USPS gave me the overnight fee back but not after a hassle. My dd does not live anywhere that it should have taken that long. She lives in a large city. I could have driven there sooner than the mail got there.

Kelly

Op I also have a paper check issued and I would wait closer to 14-15 days. Ours took 7 business days to arrive but our check was mailed from MA and we live in Nj.

L

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter