USO for Disney family

kenny

DIS Veteran
we are a Disney family but youngest daughter wants to do Harry Potter

Was thinking of doing 1 day at uso. Wasn't doing park to park as $600 forn1 day was too much

If only do 1 park which one? Liked diagon alley for atmosphere but only had 1 ride. Also how intense is gringots? What Disney ride would you compare too? Oldest daughter doesn't like dove mountain but loves test track. Youngest can do anything! Lol

Thought universal had more non potter rides but thought ioa may be better for potter?

Tia

Www.universalorlando.com

You will find info on the parks and learn about the rides, shows, and everything UO has to offer you

The stickies will add more info to help you

And, go early and avoid the weekends

You'll never do the parks justice by just hopping over for one day. Take two days and spend the night in between at Universal. That will give you unlimited express passes and early admission for both days and allow you to see everything in the parks leisurely instead of bouncing around and not getting a chance to really enjoy things.

The Harry Potter sections are unlike Disney where the ride is the main attraction. The areas are totally immersive and really need some time to take it all in.

If you have to choose one, it may be best to go to youtube and review a walk through before you decide which one. In IOA Hogsmead has the Castle and the Forbidden Journey which you have to be 48" to ride. They also have the Flight of the Hippogryph which your daughter can ride at 36" and the Dragon Challenge looping roller coaster. The atmosphere is immersive but crowded because its smaller (or feels smaller at least). If you plan to eat there, you will still have the candy store, Three Broomsticks, the Pub and the carts to order butter bear. Also shopping if i recall was all in one place next to the wand shop and the gift shop after Forbidden Journey. Hogsmead also has a stage area for some live performances.

Diagon Alley to contrast has the London part outside and the Night Bus encounter. When you go in you have Zonkos, the Leaky Cauldron restaurant and other various different shops to look through. There is Knockturn Alley for the dark arts supplies. Of course there is Gringotts which has a height restriction of 36" and while a great experience, this is the only ride. Diagon Alley has benches to sit and have a beer outside, the Icecream shop which is the only place you can get butterbeer icecream among other flavors. It also has a bank to exchange muggle money, a stage for performances and a bit more room to spread out.

So one has more rides, great atmosphere and the castle which is a sight. The other has less rides but more shopping options some not available in Hogsmead and a bit more room to spread out. No castle but Gingotts bank is pretty cool as well. Unfortunately, you will not be able to experience the Hogwarts express or even enter to see the station as you need to present your park to park tickets to get in. Lastly if you daughter wants a wand, you will miss out on the want interactive experience in the other locations.

Hope that helps in your decision. Which is best will ultimately be up to your daughters preferences and priorities.

If i had to chose it one (I loved Forbidden Journey but it is an intense thrill ride) it would be Universal Studios, Diagon Alley is so cool and immersive and all the detail that was put into it was amazing. We spent more time wandering around in Diagon Alley than Hogsmeade. As for Gringotts there is really nothing to compare it to at WDW, it is part coaster but not really ups and downs more twists and turns coupled with 3D simulation. I feel the rides at Universal side are less thrill like expect for Rip Ride Rocket, I have 2 of the 3 kids that aren't big thrill riders and found US to be their favorite side.

Was thinking of doing 1 day at uso. Wasn't doing park to park as $600 forn1 day was too much

One day anywhere is expensive.

Imaging a universal person asking on the Disney forums if a day or two is enough and if they should get hoppers, when their plans obviously would be enhanced by hopping. The cost for that one or two days with hoppers is high, but worth it. Right?

Same with uni. My minimum stay at uni is 4 nights, but if you only have one day do park to park and consider finishing a way to get express passes. :)

Thanks. Totally get not going to see it all and not even trying to. My youngest wants to get a wand and do some of the HP stuff. Since there are not manny HP rides at either and walking around in the environment is no more than 1/2 day was just trying to pick the best park to experience. Does either side have better wand experiences? Wand is a BIG reason for going. Lol

If the kids liked it would do more then next trip. Wasn't looking to do multiple days first time out

Will have to go in YouTube and check it out.
Thx

Thanks. Totally get not going to see it all and not even trying to. My youngest wants to get a wand and do some of the HP stuff. Since there are not manny HP rides at either and walking around in the environment is no more than 1/2 day was just trying to pick the best park to experience. Does either side have better wand experiences? Wand is a BIG reason for going. Lol

If the kids liked it would do more then next trip. Wasn't looking to do multiple days first time out

Thx

Diagon alley has the better (and easier to work) spells. In addition to a much larger (multiple rooms) olivanders wand shop. Diagons was built with spells in mind and hogsmeade was retrofitted with spells as diagon opened.

Let me save you the trouble- your kids will absolutely love it. Likely more than any area at the mouse. Have a blast!

Thx

I would do Diagon Alley even though there are a few more rides at Hogsmeade. They are just coasters. Gringotts is more of a family ride than Forbidden Journey and the entire area is just more immersive. We think the interactive wand experience is better than too. Make sure you go to Knockturn Alley .... it can be hard to find but is fun with the wand.

If you really want to spoil her, get the park to park passes and take the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade and do both areas. You can always just get the one park pass and then if you change your mind, they will upgrade you at the Hogwarts Express Station. Be prepared!!! lol

+1 for Diagon Alley, if you *have* to do just one :). Gringotts is a fantastic family-friendly ride with an amazing queue as well. The shops and eateries in Diagon Alley are very well done.

I really think you'll want to do both once you get there, though. The train, Hogswarts Express is very family-friendly as well and even better for younger children than Gringotts as far as tameness + magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter