Using Uber on a UK phone

steveyjc81

DIS Veteran
Hi,

If I'm using Uber from a WDW hotel (say Art of Animation) with free wi-fi, and I get the Uber to pick me up there, how do I complete the transaction at the other end if there is no free wi-fi? Is that possible without getting stung for data charges on a UK phone?

Thanks, Stevey

Id be interested to know this also..planning on using Uber in sept...

on a side note though, what network are you on? Im on EE and I know last time I was over in florida I payed £20 ( I think ) and got a data browsing add on that gave me data to use without costing any extra, I just kept my mobile data turned off until I needed it and then turned it of again after I used it, I never went over what the add on gave me and didn't end up with a stupid bill

We managed with the free wifi available. Used it to book Ubers from Old Key West, Cabana Bay, Walmart, Target, the outlet centre and The Florida Mall.

I had my data roaming turned off for the whole trip. The journey is set before you get in and if there are any amendments they will get picked up and updated on the app the next time you connect to wifi.

Only need wifi to book the car and to see where it is prior to pickup. As PP said it'll the account sorts itself out based on the drop off by the drivers phone

We managed with the free wifi available. Used it to book Ubers from Old Key West, Cabana Bay, Walmart, Target, the outlet centre and The Florida Mall.

I had my data roaming turned off for the whole trip. The journey is set before you get in and if there are any amendments they will get picked up and updated on the app the next time you connect to wifi.
Ooh, so there is free wifi at the premium outlets?

People that have used UBER, if you want to do the return journey back from Walmart, is there free wifi there?

Like others have said, as long as you have a connection when the driver picks you up, it doesn't matter if you don't have a signal where he drops you off as Uber goes by the drivers phone location for the cost and not yours. Just for a bit of advice though to those that might be interested and that if your phone can accept any sim card (I.E not locked to one service provider) get a 3 sim card as you get unlimited internet abroad (including the US) for around £15 a month on a rolling contract. Every trip I make to the US, I use it and it works a treat. All you need to do is turn "data roaming" on (don't worry it won't charge you massive amounts as its included in your monthly tariff) and it searches a local network to use (usually T Mobile for example). Its super handy having it as it means that when I don't have wi-fi, I know I still have my data on my phone to use if I get stuck somewhere.

Like others have said, as long as you have a connection when the driver picks you up, it doesn't matter if you don't have a signal where he drops you off as Uber goes by the drivers phone location for the cost and not yours. Just for a bit of advice though to those that might be interested and that if your phone can accept any sim card (I.E not locked to one service provider) get a 3 sim card as you get unlimited internet abroad (including the US) for around £15 a month on a rolling contract. Every trip I make to the US, I use it and it works a treat. All you need to do is turn "data roaming" on (don't worry it won't charge you massive amounts as its included in your monthly tariff) and it searches a local network to use (usually T Mobile for example). Its super handy having it as it means that when I don't have wi-fi, I know I still have my data on my phone to use if I get stuck somewhere.

That didn't really answer my question, but I am still interested to to know how you get BACK from shopping. If there wifi at Walmart. I'm not going to expect the driver to wait for me while I go shopping lol.

That didn't really answer my question, but I am still interested to to know how you get BACK from shopping. If there wifi at Walmart. I'm not going to expect the driver to wait for me while I go shopping lol.

Someone already answered your question above and as I don't know the answer to your question personally, it not right for me to say yes or no.

The answer was 'if your phone is unlocked you can pick up a 3 sim and their data plan is covered'

Also depending on how long you'll be there you can pick up an American SIM either once you get over there, or here before you go from Sim Cars Guru. I've written about them somewhere, it might have been this thread.

Someone already answered your question above and as I don't know the answer to your question personally, it not right for me to say yes or no.

The answer was 'if your phone is unlocked you can pick up a 3 sim and their data plan is covered'

Also depending on how long you'll be there you can pick up an American SIM either once you get over there, or here before you go from Sim Cars Guru. I've written about them somewhere, it might have been this thread.

Not a worry, I'm only there for a week, which is why I'm using Uber. Normally I'm there for at least two weeks and we have a car. My reply might have seemed a bit short, i was typing on my phone haha. :rotfl:

This is a down and dirty trip and want to penny pinch as much as possible. Which is why I don't really want to bother with a US SIM.

Not a worry, I'm only there for a week, which is why I'm using Uber. Normally I'm there for at least two weeks and we have a car. My reply might have seemed a bit short, i was typing on my phone haha. :rotfl:

This is a down and dirty trip and want to penny pinch as much as possible. Which is why I don't really want to bother with a US SIM.
I get it, I just figured the 3 sim suggestion might have got lost in the other stuff. I usually get US SIMs when we're there longer, but I'm taking my MIL for 5 nights early next year so it's not worth the price. I'm looking at the 3 sim deal for £15 each to help us keep in touch with each other with spare phones, and to use for Uber and in the parks when the wifi drops or there isn't any. I have the same concern as you. What if there's no wifi at where I'm shopping. Though I could just use a taxi for the return trip if there's no wifi. Still working on what to do.

Last edited:
If you can get a 3 sim for your trip, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier believe me, but understandable if you can't if you aren't with 3 as a service provider/don't want to outlay more money for an extra sim on top of the sim you're already paying for in the UK etc.

My other bit of advice regarding only using wi-fi is that try to find a Starbucks or McDonalds (which are pretty much on every corner) and get your Uber's from there. There are so many dotted around as we know, so you wouldn't have a problem getting wi-fi that way. To be honest, most big corporations have wi-fi so you should be absolutely fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter