Using pts for other resorts

philliesflyers

Hockey mom
We DH and I are looking at DVC. we just came back and can't wait to go again.

I have heard some people say don't use your pts for other places then the Walt Disney World. Why? Any reasons?

Also, is there a list of other places they can be used.

I heard they can be used for Cruises - what are the pts needed, where can this be found.

Thanks.

I rent out some points to pay for renting timeshares from other owners (at resorts that i cannot get exchanges into) It sounds like a pain, but it's worth it!

Using points at the non-DVC resorts is expensive. The per-night costs are pretty high, and they are only for the equivalent of a studio at a DVC resort. Plus, they can change year to year (and seemingly only in the upward direction), AND you have to pay a fee ($95?) just to do it.

2009 points charts for non-DVC haven't been released yet, but as an example, a Sunday-Thursday per-night point cost for one of the Moderate resorts (Values are not eligible) range by season and room class from 16 to 26 points. For a Garden View at the Contemporary (the cheapest of the Deluxes) it is 30-46. Compare that to 12-19 for a Beach Club Villas studio, or 22-40 for a full 1BR.

Points can also be used for cruises. Depending on the season, points for 2008 for a 3-day Bahama cruise ranged from 67-123 per adult for the first people in a standard inside stateroom (cheapest class). Points decrease for the 3rd/4th person slightly, depending on age. $95 fee also applies.

The point charts are available on the member site - there are probably copies floating around.

So, these are options, but they may not be cost-effective.

Correction: 2009 points ARE out for WDW and Cruises, they were just in a different area. So the new points are:

Moderate resort: 17-26 (generally up a point)
Contemporary Garden Standard View: 31-44 (up a point - the 46 quoted earlier was a typo, it was 43)
3-day Bahamas cruise: 69-143

Plus you have to pay a $95 transfer fee for non-DVC stays (except for DLR at this time - but that could change).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter