>> Using Pools at Other Resorts - FAQ and Questions Thread (No Debate) <<

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD and I are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Can she play at Uwangy Camp and use that pool even if are not DVC members?

Both pools at AKL/AKV are open to all the guests at that resort.

I have to say most replies on this topic are less than magical.Maybe it is just me being frustrated and taking things wrong.
Just to be clear we are looking for a Disney approved solution. We are club level suite guest buying plat. packages for a 11-15 day stay. Not value looking to cheat our way up to deluxe.
We do not care about what great things the BC or YC has to offer, other than my parents staying there. No one from our party will be using them,slides etc..
I called the general info line today and was told I had to speak to the resort manager,then placed on hold, answered by 3 different desk staff,and disconnected.Called back but Disney was experiencing high call volume and I had a meeting.
I checked here tonight and see that I need to speak to the lifeguard!!! What!!!! We need to know ahead of time, so we can plan accordingly.
Could the pre planning concierge be of help?
My dad has COPD I think this whole trip is a push for him,but he wants to be there when the 2 little ones first see Disney, just like he was with the older ones.
Would Boardwalk be a better alt.? Close to Epcot,regular pool?
:duck:Don't hurt me but.....my dad is a Disney person, I am a Beaches/Club Med, he is trying to convert me. It seems weird to me that I have to make dining res, prior to booking? April trip. 180 days is 10/13 and reps were not sure the 2011 info would be out by then. If not then I will have to do most of my own planning because I will not have booked club level yet. You are all so dedicated, Thanks.

A guest is a guest at Disney, truly what you are paying for a room hadsnothing to do with it.

You truly can not call ahead. They will have to evaulate the crowd that day, at that time and they can only do that in person.

The best plan is everyone stay at the same hotel. That will be the only way you can guarantee everyone can swim together. Is there a reason you ended up in different resorts?

There is a nice sand beach you could use.

Just try to remember that Disney has millions of guests, it will be very crowded and if you do not plan ahead for dinners and such you will find very little to choose from.

I have to say most replies on this topic are less than magical.Maybe it is just me being frustrated and taking things wrong.
Just to be clear we are looking for a Disney approved solution. We are club level suite guest buying plat. packages for a 11-15 day stay. Not value looking to cheat our way up to deluxe.
We do not care about what great things the BC or YC has to offer, other than my parents staying there. No one from our party will be using them,slides etc..
I called the general info line today and was told I had to speak to the resort manager,then placed on hold, answered by 3 different desk staff,and disconnected.Called back but Disney was experiencing high call volume and I had a meeting.
I checked here tonight and see that I need to speak to the lifeguard!!! What!!!! We need to know ahead of time, so we can plan accordingly.
My dad has COPD I think this whole trip is a push for him,but he wants to be there when the 2 little ones first see Disney, just like he was with the older ones.
:duck:Don't hurt me but.....my dad is a Disney person, I am a Beaches/Club Med, he is trying to convert me. It seems weird to me that I have to make dining res, prior to booking? April trip. 180 days is 10/13 and reps were not sure the 2011 info would be out by then. If not then I will have to do most of my own planning because I will not have booked club level yet. You are all so dedicated, Thanks.

Economics are not magical. You get what you pay for. If you didn't pay for the use of a specific pool, you are not permitted to use it unless you get specific approval from the lifeguard right at the moment you want to be able to use the pool. And even then, the lifeguard could tell you "No". There are hundreds of guests staying at the deluxe resorts. There isn't enough room for each guest to invite others not staying at that resort to join them at the pool. Concierge will not be able to give you permission to swim together at a resort you are not a guest at.

Like Sammie said, the best way to be able for all the kids to swim together would be to book the exact same resort as the others.

As for dining, you are competing with thousands of guests for the same dining location, date and time you want. Even non-resort guests are entitled to make dining reservations. So if you want to dine as a group, you must make your dining reservations as early as possible.

You're confused. Pool hopping is not an included perk with the Platinum plans, concierge level guests or guests staying at other deluxe hotels. A guest staying at a suite in the GF has the same right to use the pool at BC/YC as a guest staying at POP. NONE.

This was covered in the first post.

You want an approved Disney solution?
  1. Consider a water park.
  2. All stay at the same hotel.
  3. Asking nicely the day you want to join the rest of your family. It's really a function of crowds and how many others ask.

Pools are for guests of that hotel, not guests of guests.

Pools aren't large enough to accomodate guests of guests. Sometimes exceptions can be made. You're frustrated because you think you should be able to get an exception in advance. It doesn't work that way.

The only exception to the no-pool hopping rule is Disney Vacation Club members, staying ON POINTS (not cash), can pool hop at most of the resort pools except the AKV and BCV and BLT pools. Also, holiday weeks and weekends are blacked out. Now... its the staying on points that confuses me. If I'm a DVC member, and I'm not staying on points....just say rented a room... how would they know. Wouldn't my KTWC still say DVC member? I've never had my card say "point user" on it?:confused3

We are at different resorts because it will be difficult for my father to walk all the parks.He and my mother are staying at the CR when they do MK,the rest of the time he will spend at Epcot or boating,so the BC or YC makes sense. We will just have the kids play in the sand,or call a cab to pick up my parents up from my resort and drive them back to their resort.
It will just be difficult for them.
I did post earlier that changing resorts is an option,but I wanted to get the offical word from Disney before changing resorts.
Info I was looking for, was other specific areas,or activities near by,a grassy open area to allow the kids to run, picnic tables they could color at etc...Maybe I was not clear. People seem to be fixated on telling me Disney's rules.
Not how to get to speak with someone who can accomadate or deny my request. Or provide other options of alternate meeting places,that may not be advertised,but previous resort guest would be aware of.
**Also when you pay for concierge planning,I do expect it be done 180 days in advance so we can get all the seating we want.I cannot have it done by October if we have not booked yet,and Disney will not say when we will be able to book,the rep said it maybe as late as December,and they only know a day or two prior.

I also would like to add. Many of you know disney's rules and policies,and have visited many times.Which is wondeful to be able to ask you all questions.
When you book on line or through your travel agent,these things are not printed out for you.
Had I not stumbled on this thread I would have never known Disney's policies on the pools,and would not have been aware it would be an issue.
Please take into consideration that at other large vacation resorts signs read: Resort guest only.The resorts are refferencing people on property to golf or use the spa,not resort guest,who may use all the various resorts' ammenities interchangably.
So many may have the pool hopping mentality because they vacation else where,and assume like other large resorts this is acceptable. I know the last Disney trip signs were posted poolside for GF resort guest only,although clear, I assumed it was reffering to off site visitors,wanting to use resort pools.Now I know.
Thanks for all of your post,and remember not all here are as Disney savy.

The only exception to the no-pool hopping rule is Disney Vacation Club members, staying ON POINTS (not cash), can pool hop at most of the resort pools except the AKV and BCV and BLT pools. Also, holiday weeks and weekends are blacked out. Now... its the staying on points that confuses me. If I'm a DVC member, and I'm not staying on points....just say rented a room... how would they know. Wouldn't my KTWC still say DVC member? I've never had my card say "point user" on it?:confused3

Unless you make a reservation through Member Services, your KTTW will not say DVC Member on it. If you make a reservation through DRC or a Travel Agent, it will not say DVC Member on it.

We are at different resorts because it will be difficult for my father to walk all the parks.He and my mother are staying at the CR when they do MK,the rest of the time he will spend at Epcot or boating,so the BC or YC makes sense. We will just have the kids play in the sand,or call a cab to pick up my parents up from my resort and drive them back to their resort.
I did post earlier that changing resorts is an option,but I wanted to get the offical word from Disney before changing resorts.
Info I was looking for, was other specific areas,or activities near by,a grassy open area to allow the kids to run, picnic tables they could color at etc...Maybe I was not clear. People seem to be fixated on telling me Disney's rules.
Not how to get to speak with someone who can accomadate or deny my request. Or provide other options of alternate meeting places,that may not be advertised,but previous resort guest would be aware of.
**Also when you pay for concierge planning,I do expect it be done 180 days in advance so we can get all the seating we want.I cannot have it done by October if we have not booked yet,and Disney will not say when we will be able to book,the rep said it maybe as late as December,and they only know a day or two prior.

If you don't make dining reservations at 180 days out, you will surely be blocked from getting some of the favorite ones, even through Concierge. If you don't have a reservation by that time, you won't be able to book 180+10 days. You'll have to wait until 180 days for each day you book. But if you haven't finalized your days by that time, you could be out of luck for some favorites or prime times. Even if you have concierge planning make your reservations, they can't always get the ones you need either. Everyone is equal at 180 days out - like Lewis said, whether a guest at Pop Century or GF Concierge.

At the BC and YC, there is a sandy beach area along the canal that the kids could play in. There are some chairs there, but it often gets booked by groups as well, so it might not be available. At the CR there is limited beach area, but there aren't any chairs or tables on the beach that I have seen.

It does take getting used to get learn the WDW ways of vacationing, especially if you are used to another way of doing it. But with as many resort hotels as they have on the property and as many guests staying in all those resorts, the term resort guest applies directly to the guests paying to stay at that resort. If you golf at any of the Disney golf courses, but are not staying at any of the WDW resorts, you have no rights when it comes to using the amenities of the resorts.

Each Disney Resort is its own business unit. The entire Disney World Property is not one resort. That said.... I have a suggestion. I don't remember if you ever said when you're coming... but..... you might want to RENT points and stay at a DVC resort property. You are still considered staying "on points" as long as you are using points, and it doesn't matter if they're your points or another members points. A new option, but I am not sure if this new option applies to non-members, but it is now possible to rent developer points. Those rent at $13.00 per point. If you rent from another human member, not the developer entity, you can negotiate the rate. i.e. members can rent their points out of however many points they want to. If you rent from a member, you pay them and they make the reservation through member services FOR YOU. You would be able to all stay in the same villa (if you choose a 2 or 3 bedroom villa or a 3 bedroom treehouse villa). A 2 bedroom at SSR sleeps 8, the Tree house 9, AKV villas 2 bedroom sleeps 9, a 3 bedroom can fit up to 12. They all allow you to add a small child in a crib and not count them. If you stay DVC on points, you can then pool hop, but additionally, you can do BLT (at the contemporary) or Wilderness Lodge Villas and be on the MK monorail line. You can stay in BWV and BCV and be near EPCOT. It might be the best option for you. Check out the DISboards, trade/rent board.

I understand as a newbie to Disney World it can be overwhelming for it is not like vacations anywhere else.

I am still confused though as to why having your parents somewhere other than where you are is going to help your Dad with his walking. Transportation to all the parks is only as far away as the nearest boat, bus or monorail.

I honestly and this is based on many, many trips think you are adding to your frustration by having your group in different places. I would seriously consider picking one place and staying there. I think you are going to spend alot of time trying to get together. It is very easy to get to Epcot on the monorail at the Contemporary and will certainly be less walking than staying at the Yacht and Beach and walking to Epcot.

As to concierge at Disney, it is highly over rated and expensive for what you get. If you wait for them to make your ADRs you are not going to get in some of the more desirable and busy places.

As to how to speak to someone that can accommidate or deny your pool request we have all stated that the lifeguard on the day of the visit is the only way. I am sorry that does not allow you to plan ahead but, it is what it is.

There are beach sand areas at BC/YC and the Contemporary. Just do not allow the kids near the water, as there are snakes and alligators in them.

Each Disney Resort is its own business unit. The entire Disney World Property is not one resort. That said.... I have a suggestion. I don't remember if you ever said when you're coming... but..... you might want to RENT points and stay at a DVC resort property. You are still considered staying "on points" as long as you are using points, and it doesn't matter if they're your points or another members points. A new option, but I am not sure if this new option applies to non-members, but it is now possible to rent developer points. Those rent at $13.00 per point. If you rent from another human member, not the developer entity, you can negotiate the rate. i.e. members can rent their points out of however many points they want to. If you rent from a member, you pay them and they make the reservation through member services FOR YOU. You would be able to all stay in the same villa (if you choose a 2 or 3 bedroom villa or a 3 bedroom treehouse villa). A 2 bedroom at SSR sleeps 8, the Tree house 9, AKV villas 2 bedroom sleeps 9, a 3 bedroom can fit up to 12. They all allow you to add a small child in a crib and not count them. If you stay DVC on points, you can then pool hop, but additionally, you can do BLT (at the contemporary) or Wilderness Lodge Villas and be on the MK monorail line. You can stay in BWV and BCV and be near EPCOT. It might be the best option for you. Check out the DISboards, trade/rent board.

Your post is somewhat confusing. The "developer points" you are talking about are only available to members and they are limited to 24 points for $15 a point. There aren't any "developer points" available to non-members.

If you rent a reservation from a member, you are not entitled to any member perks like pool hopping. So the OP can't rent a reservation and expect to pool hop to another resort, especially BC/YC - no pool hopping there.

Finally, if the OP is looking to book at Spring Break or Easter, they will have a difficult time getting a DVC reservation this late. Most members have already made their reservations 11 months out for this time.

Your post is somewhat confusing. The "developer points" you are talking about are only available to members and they are limited to 24 points for $15 a point. There aren't any "developer points" available to non-members.

If you rent a reservation from a member, you are not entitled to any member perks like pool hopping. So the OP can't rent a reservation and expect to pool hop to another resort, especially BC/YC - no pool hopping there.

Finally, if the OP is looking to book at Spring Break or Easter, they will have a difficult time getting a DVC reservation this late. Most members have already made their reservations 11 months out for this time.

Oh... ok... I didn't recall whether the developer points were restricted. Remember, what I"m reading is for members so it might not say or I might not catch what doesn't apply to me. And I read $13 per point, but then I remember it saying there was fees per point bringing it to $15.00 per point.

I did not know that pool hopping is not available to non-members... I thought if you were staying on points... but then again.. I'm a member whether my points are mine or combined with someone else's. It makes sense to me to keep pool hopping for members. If there weren't additional perks over renting... why would someone buy? Of course, I think buying is the best return on investment out there! But that's me!:rotfl:

I did not recall when the OP was planning his vacation. I thought I mentioned pool hopping black out dates? Sorry if I forgot. If the OP is going during Spring Break, and he and his parents do not stay in the same resort... the OP will severely regret it. We went during this past spring break and it was insanely mobbed. We were able to pool hop, even though it is normally blacked out because we were a guest of a guest and the lifeguard was ok with it. It was a little cool, in fact, I had a sweater on and only the kids swam. The pool heater had been broken all morning and had only been on for a hour or so... the pool was very empty. I guess that's why the parks were mobbed! Good day for parks, too cool for the pool. I realize that the OP is not a member... so I'm adding that story only to highlight that it is current conditions and only that, that will allow a lifeguard to make a decision on pool guesting at that moment only. DVC or not.
Anyway, when it is insanely mobbed, you will spend or shall I say waste alot of time just getting from point A to point B. It would not recommend splitting up the family during a busy time.

We were thinking it(BC or YC) would be easier and closer for my dad to get back to his main oxygen tank,and breathing machine, from Epcot. He also wants to stay there,only resort he has not stayed at.I did not think about the monorail running to Epcot.Thanks!!
Last visit at GF kids were all DHS, MK and waterparks! So we did not do Epcot,we drove,ate dinner there, and did Illuminations.
We are a part of a 40-46 person LARGE family trip.Our family is just 11 of the people,going.Other family members (my aunts and uncles,younger single cousins)will be staying at the BC,BW or YC also,so they will be doing activities with others aside from my sister and I.
We may have to reconsider, My sister suggested we watch all the nighttime shows seperate from the others,and the electrical barge pagent, for time away from the group and park hustle and bustle.
Thanks!!!

We were thinking it(BC or YC) would be easier and closer for my dad to get back to his main oxygen tank,and breathing machine, from Epcot. He also wants to stay there,only resort he has not stayed at.I did not think about the monorail running to Epcot.Thanks!!
Last visit at GF kids were all DHS, MK and waterparks! So we did not do Epcot,we drove,ate dinner there, and did Illuminations.
We are a part of a 40-46 person LARGE family trip.Our family is just 11 of the people,going.Other family members (my aunts and uncles,younger single cousins)will be staying at the BC,BW or YC also,so they will be doing activities with others aside from my sister and I.
We may have to reconsider, My sister suggested we watch all the nighttime shows seperate from the others,and the electrical barge pagent, for time away from the group and park hustle and bustle.
Thanks!!!

40-46 people!! :scared1: I hope you're working with the folks at Grand Gatherings. They're the experts in coordinating everything for large groups. If you're not already working with them, call Disney's main number and ask for Grand Gatherings. Also... don't forget that Disney is A#1 in accommodating people with special needs. You father with his oxygen is a special need, so do let Disney know what he will need. There is also a special needs board on the disboards where you can probably get some good advice from other's who have been in the same situation. Good luck

Thanks!!!

Yes getting away from that large of a group some of the time is probably a good idea.

Does the definition of pool-hopping include USING the pool only or sitting near it as well?

I ask for two reasons: If someone is visiting you at your resort, you can use the public areas to sit and chat but is that acceptable at the pool area (like using a table) but your guests DON'T SWIM?

Another reason I ask is that there are people that use the chairs and beach area near the pool at the Poly who do not stay there (like to watch EWP or Fireworks) and while they are not swimming, they are using a feature of the resort. It appears to be an 'acceptable' norm but I didn't know if this was covered under any Disney rules.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Does the definition of pool-hopping include USING the pool only or sitting near it as well?

I ask for two reasons: If someone is visiting you at your resort, you can use the public areas to sit and chat but is that acceptable at the pool area (like using a table) but your guests DON'T SWIM?

Another reason I ask is that there are people that use the chairs and beach area near the pool at the Poly who do not stay there (like to watch EWP or Fireworks) and while they are not swimming, they are using a feature of the resort. It appears to be an 'acceptable' norm but I didn't know if this was covered under any Disney rules.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

At Stormalong Bay, you can't enter the pool enclosure without a room ID showing you are currently a guest at the YC/BC/BCV. So they include using the chairs.

If a guest at the Polynesian, can't sit by the water to watch the EWP or the fireworks at the MK, because non-guests are using all the chairs, my guess is that those guests would think the non-guests are pool hopping.

It comes down to the fact if you are taking something away from a guest who paid to use it and you didn't pay to use it, you are in the wrong. If no one complains and there are extras available, then it isn't wrong until the guest who paid to use it can't.

That's why they do check room ID's at the Polynesian during some of the busy times like 4th of July and New Year's Eve.

At Stormalong Bay, you can't enter the pool enclosure without a room ID showing you are currently a guest at the YC/BC/BCV. So they include using the chairs.

If a guest at the Polynesian, can't sit by the water to watch the EWP or the fireworks at the MK, because non-guests are using all the chairs, my guess is that those guests would think the non-guests are pool hopping.

It comes down to the fact if you are taking something away from a guest who paid to use it and you didn't pay to use it, you are in the wrong. If no one complains and there are extras available, then it isn't wrong until the guest who paid to use it can't.

That's why they do check room ID's at the Polynesian during some of the busy times like 4th of July and New Year's Eve.

Thank you for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter