• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

>> Using Pools at Other Resorts - FAQ and Questions Thread (No Debate) <<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious. Do the same rules apply for Pop Century and the new Art of Animation resort? They are connected by the bridge and it's meant for guests to walk between the two. So in this instance, are you able to pool hop?

Only at the two little 'quiet' pools because the big themed main pool, 'The Big Blue' is gated and micro chipped and you have to have your RFID room card to get into it.

I wonder if the pool at Art of Animation will be accessible to DVC Members. We are staying at AoA in October and then at AKL (on points) in February. We always enjoy that privilege. However, it seems that more pools are becoming non-hopping.

Only at the two little 'quiet' pools because the big themed main pool, 'The Big Blue' is gated and micro chipped and you have to have your RFID room card to get into it.

Where did you hear this information? Do you have the link to this? The resource?

I was told that we will not be able to hop to the pool at AoA. Yes, it does seem like the pools are all being restricted and our pool hopping privilege is shrinking... but as they'll always tell you, our benefits aren't guaranteed and subject to change. blah blah blah...I want to get in that pool!:lmao: The pool at Vero Beach is also restricted that way, as is the access TO the beach... but I had no trouble following someone into the pool to get lots of pictures for my facebook page.

I wonder if the pool at Art of Animation will be accessible to DVC Members. We are staying at AoA in October and then at AKL (on points) in February. We always enjoy that privilege. However, it seems that more pools are becoming non-hopping.

No, that is already reported on the website that we can't hop to AoA pools.

You use your key card to get in to the AoA big blue pool. I read an article that said that the other AoA pools will not be fenced.

I believe Florida law now requires all pools constructed after a certain date to have access restricted by a fence at least 48” tall. So I can’t imagine that the feature pool will have a gate and quiet pools not. Further I believe Disney is in the process of slowly fencing in all resort pools because of this law and other liability issues.

The fences aren’t there to necessarily restrict pool hopping, but rather to comply with local ordnances and reduce liability. One of the DVC requirements for pool hopping was to check-in at the front desk first (which no one ever does), I think at that point they could issue a temporary KTTW card that gets you into the pool gate. That or DVC KTTW cards will be programmed to work the gates of any pool where hopping is allowed (though this is unlikely as it put a great deal of reliance of IT to be able to allow the system to talk across multiple resorts).

it will be eliminated altogether....my opinion

it was a great idea...but i think with the number of villas that they are throwing up...the equation has changed...just too many on property rooms to blur the lines and let people move around.

when they designed that...it was just quiet, sleepy little old key west supplying the hoppers.

it will be eliminated altogether....my opinion

it was a great idea...but i think with the number of villas that they are throwing up...the equation has changed...just too many on property rooms to blur the lines and let people move around.

when they designed that...it was just quiet, sleepy little old key west supplying the hoppers.

I think you are right! Its a privilege that they bestowed upon us DVC members, and not a right.. and they'll probably discontinue it. That said, unless you are staying nearby, pool hopping just takes too much time.

I stayed at Pop last week, and we walked across the bridge to take lots of pictures of AoA... the Big Blue Pool has an RFID tagged gate and so does the Cozy Cone Pool... however, when I went over to Cozy Cone, someone walked out and held the door for me as I walked in... so I took some nice pics for my facebook page of the Cozy Cones. Very cute. In fact, later in the evening, when we came back to eat at Landscape of Flavors (I highly recommend by the way), it was nicely lit and there were some adults sitting with a little music and some wine enjoying a Cozy Cone looking like they were really enjoying themselves. The pool is rather tiny, but its a nice little retreat... but not a hopper.

Are you able to go from FW to WL if it is a quiet day or would you have to ask a lifeguard or cast member
or is it banned all together..would like to know for the future

Are you able to go from FW to WL if it is a quiet day or would you have to ask a lifeguard or cast member

It is not allowed. And the just made the pool at FW a whole lot nicer than it used to be, so I'm not sure why you would bother hopping. The pool at WL is tiny for a resort of it's size, and from what I have read they are pretty diligent about checking for resort keys at that pool.

It is not allowed. And the just made the pool at FW a whole lot nicer than it used to be, so I'm not sure why you would bother hopping. The pool at WL is tiny for a resort of it's size, and from what I have read they are pretty diligent about checking for resort keys at that pool.

That is true..I was just curious since they are a boat ride away..:)

Pool hopping is not allowed unless you're a DVC member staying on points at a DVC resort.... so that knocks out FW because its not DVC... so even if I, a DVC member, choose to stay at Ft.W, I can't use the pool at WL. According to the current rules in place, if I am staying at OKW, I could pool hop (if its not in a black out period) to WL, but I don't know why I would want to.... OKW has a really nice pool. OKW, SSR, WL, Boardwalk, allow DVC members to pool hop... but under the pool hop rules, I'm supposed to be able to go to the pool at GF and Poly... but you're still supposed to check with the life guard because of capacity. I have pool hopped to GF and Caribbean Beach without a problem in the past, but only did so to join up with non-DVC friends staying there.

Wow really? why not stay at the resort you want to swim at? Glad WDW issues wristbands. It one of the reasons we stay at the POLY because the pool is awesome.

We stayed offsite (never again) at a REAL nice hotel in Orlando. It had a conference and the POOL was overcrowded with people who were not even hotel guests on the weekend.

Why should the people paying to stay at the resort be crowded by people who are not?

I find the concept strange....

Wow really? why not stay at the resort you want to swim at? Glad WDW issues wristbands. It one of the reasons we stay at the POLY because the pool is awesome.

We stayed offsite (never again) at a REAL nice hotel in Orlando. It had a conference and the POOL was overcrowded with people who were not even hotel guests on the weekend.

Why should the people paying to stay at the resort be crowded by people who are not?

I find the concept strange....

well.. it is a strange concept.. which is why its not allowed in most cases... but DVC members are owners.. so I guess that's why we currently have this perk... but the perk doesn't apply to AoA's Big Blue Pool, Stormalong Bay at BC/YC, the pool at BLT, Uzima Pool at AKV.. and there are black-out periods for capacity reasons.. such as spring break and Thanksgiving and Christmas. As to the why... in general....sure... swim where you're staying... but if you've got friends or family staying in another resort... or you meet some people and want to join them for a swim, its a nice option. I would however, not schlepp to another resort purely for their pool... I personally only do it when we're joining friends. And only because we're allowed.pixiedust:

oh yeah...and you can't just mosey on into the pool at Vero beach either... even if you're eating lunch at Shutters. It too has the RFID lock.. as does the actual entrance to the beach.

I wouldn't think there would be an issue of guest having a few friends visiting them..... and using the facilities.

I assumed it was people staying at one resort and traveling to another just for the pools.

Like POP -> GF or POLY to use a nicer pool.

Which IS weird.

I would think WDW wouldn't mind if you had a few friends visit you at your resort so long as it was not daily and it didn't intrupt the paying guests services.

I wouldn't think there would be an issue of guest having a few friends visiting them..... and using the facilities.

I assumed it was people staying at one resort and traveling to another just for the pools.

Like POP -> GF or POLY to use a nicer pool.

Which IS weird.

I would think WDW wouldn't mind if you had a few friends visit you at your resort so long as it was not daily and it didn't intrupt the paying guests services.

Multiply one extra guest by the number of guests at the resort and you get an extremely crowded pool. Your friends need to be on your reservation to use the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter