Using ME, but carrying your own luggage on bus?

twins4disney

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this is listed somewere, I am wondering if we can use the service, but carry our luggage on the bus with us, putting it on ourselves and carrying it to our room.

You sure can. If you don't put the luggage tags they send you onto your luggage, it won't be intercepted by the DME baggage handlers, and will be on the belt at the bag claim area for your airline. You can pick it up yourself and bring it to the bus.

They did give my sister a hard time about taking her own bags to the bus but in the end it wasent a problem.

Thanks! I really like this idea, better than waiting for the luggage, we will be arriving late, so it will be nice to have the luggage with us. Plus it will be in July, so not much luggage for this trip.

ME change there bag policy a few months ago so if your arriving late like after 10 pm you must get your own bags first and then goto the ME desk to check in , and if don't put your ME tags on just rember go get your bags before you go to the ME desk

We carried the luggage with us on DME once, and had no problems. We arrived at 10pm and decided to take the luggage with us so that we have everything with us for the night.

We carried our own luggage on the ME bus 3 years ago. I'm still a little uncomfortable being separated from it, so we'll do it again this year. I've heard good things about the ME luggage service, but still...

They did give my sister a hard time about taking her own bags to the bus but in the end it wasent a problem.
Really? I've always taken my suitcases on there and never had any issue..I am not the trusting sort when it comes to my luggage.;)

As a matter of fact, last time they made a separate line for those of us who had our bags with us..saved a lot of time.:confused3

OK, I've seen variations on this question many times here but I've never understood why you would want to do this. Why wrestle with your bags when somebody else will do it - for free yet.

Although I registered for DME ages before our trip, we never did receive our tags, so we just took our own bags with us to the check-in desk. Nothing was said at all by the staff either at the desk or right at the bus. :)

However, last year we left our luggage for the DME staff to pick up and had no problems at all. :thumbsup2

OK, I've seen variations on this question many times here but I've never understood why you would want to do this. Why wrestle with your bags when somebody else will do it - for free yet.

Depends on your arrival time - who wants to arrive really late after a long flight and be woken up in the middle of the night so you can take your luggage into your room? :confused3 :laughing:

The process isn't that bad either way - I will definately be using DME again for our trip next year. :thumbsup2

DD9 and I did it. The driver put it on the ME bus and took it off, so we tipped him.

We got in late and even though we had a carryon bag with the necessary stuff, DD wanted her bag right away.

It was no problem for us at all.

With all the posts about ME not getting bags to the people until late...I'd bring it on the bus too!

However....we are driving down so we control our own luggage carrying regardless!

Since it can take DME up to 3-4 hours from the time you arrive to deliver your bag to the room, if you plan to change clothes or freshen up before doing something on your arrival day, there are times that you'd want your bag quicker....and thus carry it with you rather than let them handle the delivery.

Since it can take DME up to 3-4 hours from the time you arrive to deliver your bag to the room, if you plan to change clothes or freshen up before doing something on your arrival day, there are times that you'd want your bag quicker....and thus carry it with you rather than let them handle the delivery.

Depends on your arrival time - who wants to arrive really late after a long flight and be woken up in the middle of the night so you can take your luggage into your room? :confused3 :laughing:

The process isn't that bad either way - I will definately be using DME again for our trip next year. :thumbsup2

OK, I've heard these comments before too. Perhaps its because I travel so frequently, but I always have what I'm going to need for the first 24 hours in my carry on. You never know what's going to happen and you need to be prepared. This is not a DME related thing - its a general travel precaution.

As far as the deliver to your room goes, you do know that you can tell them to hold your luggage until the morning, don't you? We do that frequently without problem. Just call them in the morning and they deliver it then.

I am also the type that likes to know where my luggage is at all times.
We are a family of 4 and travel with 4 carry ons only!(thanks to good packing and an owner's locker!) We always bring the bags on DME with us and have never had a problem.

We are always required to do this as we are Canadian. We just pick them up at the carousel, go to the bus, they are loaded on and everything works smoothly. It isn't really any trouble at all, and we are so very happy to be there.
d

just remember to not put the disney tags on the bags, or else they'll get it (they pick them up right after it gets unloaded from the plane). some of my relatives let ME take their bags last summer instead of picking them up and it took them until the next day (while they were in the park) for the luggage to get to their hotel room :scared1:

We do this everytime and will always do this. It' just so much easier to take care of my own baggage and not worry about when it'll arrive in our room or if it's going to the correct resort.... etc.

We have also never had a problem with it.

I am pretty sure that if I had to pay to put my luggage on DME myself, I would still do it.

OK, I've heard these comments before too. Perhaps its because I travel so frequently, but I always have what I'm going to need for the first 24 hours in my carry on. You never know what's going to happen and you need to be prepared. This is not a DME related thing - its a general travel precaution.

As far as the deliver to your room goes, you do know that you can tell them to hold your luggage until the morning, don't you? We do that frequently without problem. Just call them in the morning and they deliver it then.

OKW Lover - good advice....and I checked out your wine list. Quite a few from my state. You'd really enjoy Napa/Sonoma, if you haven't already been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter