Using Magic Bands with Annual Pass

isobar

Mouseketeer
So yesterday my wife and I spoke with a cast member while at Epcot. I asked, if we were to book a room only reservation would we be able to link the Magic Bands to our Annual Passes and continue to use them even after our room reservations had expired. Basically permanently link them to our AP? His response although reluctantly was yes this would work but he highly discouraged it due to problems that are ongoing with the system. He also made it a point to say that the program is still in testing and linking the Magic Bands to our AP would be at our own risk. Just thought I would share our experience with everyone.

Yes. Our upcoming trip we've linked our APs to MDE. There was at least one report of a CM accidentally invalidating an AP while trying to fix a MB.

My AP's were attached to magic bands and everything worked perfectly. I even had just the PAP voucher attached to DD's band and when we activated it, they didn't even have to have the band to do it. We had ZERO problems. You must have just talked to one CM who was frazzled.

ETA: I had a one night, room only reservation, too. The magic bands worked the entire rest of our stay at our DVC property. Even had our MNSSHP tickets linked to the bands.

We just got back on Thursday and our A/P's were linked to our MB's.... we had absolutely no problems whatsoever :)

So yesterday my wife and I spoke with a cast member while at Epcot. I asked, if we were to book a room only reservation would we be able to link the Magic Bands to our Annual Passes and continue to use them even after our room reservations had expired. Basically permanently link them to our AP? His response although reluctantly was yes this would work but he highly discouraged it due to problems that are ongoing with the system. He also made it a point to say that the program is still in testing and linking the Magic Bands to our AP would be at our own risk. Just thought I would share our experience with everyone.

Ours have been linked since July without any issues.

I do have one question, how do they work with the AP in terms of the free parking?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I do have one question, how do they work with the AP in terms of the free parking?

Sometimes I wave the band at the attendant and ask where to scan it (there isn't anything to scan and I know that LOL) and they wave me on. Otherwise I show my Id and AP to them. You are supposed to retain your AP card for discounts and AP privileges anyway.

So in short, they don't work for free parking yet.

Sometimes I wave the band at the attendant and ask where to scan it (there isn't anything to scan and I know that LOL) and they wave me on. Otherwise I show my Id and AP to them. You are supposed to retain your AP card for discounts and AP privileges anyway. So in short, they don't work for free parking yet.
Oh okay that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up me. :)

He also made it a point to say that the program is still in testing and linking the Magic Bands to our AP would be at our own risk.

I have often found that lower level cast members don't have a clue.

My letter from Disney for my upcoming reservation SPECIFICALLY states that they are testing me with the MagicBands as an AP holder. So it's not "at my own risk" as Disney specifically added me to the test.

Please take what cast members say at the theme parks about MagicBands, FP+, and the future of them with a grain of salt. They are not privileged to any special information.

Your AP linked MagicBand will work just fine after your reservation is over. I have already used my MagicBands before my stay and they work great. Here are all the details for me so far:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3191972

mb-ap.JPG

I have often found that lower level cast members don't have a clue. My letter from Disney for my upcoming reservation SPECIFICALLY states that they are happen to have me in testing with the MagicBands as an AP holder. So it's not "at my own risk" as Disney specifically added me to the test. Please take what cast members say at the theme parks about MagicBands, FP+, and the future of them with a grain of salt. Your AP linked MagicBand will work just fine after your reservation is over.

That is kinda what I was thinking. He seemed like he was trying to dodge my questions kinda like some politicians lol. Thanks for the info!

I have often found that lower level cast members don't have a clue.

My letter from Disney for my upcoming reservation SPECIFICALLY states that they are testing me with the MagicBands as an AP holder. So it's not "at my own risk" as Disney specifically added me to the test.

Please take what cast members say at the theme parks about MagicBands, FP+, and the future of them with a grain of salt. They are not privileged to any special information.

Your AP linked MagicBand will work just fine after your reservation is over. I have already used my MagicBands before my stay and they work great. Here are all the details for me so far:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3191972

They have been doing some fiddling with AP holders. Previously my AP said something like not authorized for FP+ at the kiosks but now I can leave my band at home and just use the physical AP in the same manner. It goes faster at the scan points too.

The MBs worked great with our APs during our two week stay at Pop in September. We did not have any issues.

I linked our APs in the MDE for DH and then also one for my Sister who purchased her 14 day ticket in England, she sent me the number off the back via e-mail and I was able to link it. I wasn't sure if it would work for that one.

I can use MDE now to book FP+

I linked our AP's in MDE several months ago. Didn't have any problem that I know of. Of course, we haven't been to the parks yet to see if we can actually get into a park using our magic bands, we go next week. I plan to carry the AP's with me, just in case.

I was told by Guest Relations that only one ticket should be linked right now. The problems with our APs arose when we linked our MNSSHP tickets as well. If only your APs are on, you should be okay.

We just left The World and are waiting for our flight home. Our APs were linked to our MBs with no problems whatsoever. We were able to easily use it for FP+. We are DVC and did not have a resort package. My son and his family has passes purchased at AAA and no resort reservation since they were staying with us in our villa. They did not have any problems either. The system seemed to work quite well.

They have been doing some fiddling with AP holders. Previously my AP said something like not authorized for FP+ at the kiosks but now I can leave my band at home and just use the physical AP in the same manner. It goes faster at the scan points too.

If a Cast Member catches you using the kiosks right now they will tell you to stop. I was at Epcot just three days ago with the family, we walked right up and I was about to tap my AP to it, and a CM rushed over and said "Excuse me! That's for MagicBands only!" in a rude way. I said "They don't work with the AP cards?" and she said "No." even though I knew she was lying. I think they just want MagicBand people to use the machines for testing right now.

I was kinda ticked off because she (the CM) was rude and because I DO have MagicBands, I just left them at home that day. I think many AP holders have been trying to use the kiosks.

Just a word of warning...

Ethan

If a Cast Member catches you using the kiosks right now they will tell you to stop. I was at Epcot just three days ago with the family, we walked right up and I was about to tap my AP to it, and a CM rushed over and said "Excuse me! That's for MagicBands only!" in a rude way. I said "They don't work with the AP cards?" and she said "No." even though I knew she was lying. I think they just want MagicBand people to use the machines for testing right now.

I was kinda ticked off because she (the CM) was rude and because I DO have MagicBands, I just left them at home that day. I think many AP holders have been trying to use the kiosks.

Just a word of warning...

Ethan

That's why I was using my AP as well actually. We forgot the bands at home and I was very annoyed at myself over it and decided to see if my card worked. I checked at MK, no one stopped me. I've used it at AK as well with no issues.

That's why I was using my AP as well actually. We forgot the bands at home and I was very annoyed at myself over it and decided to see if my card worked. I checked at MK, no one stopped me. I've used it at AK as well with no issues.

Yeah if there are no CM's, go for it. I would too. Just a warning that if there is a CM, they might stop you. :)

Yeah if there are no CM's, go for it. I would too. Just a warning that if there is a CM, they might stop you. :)

I feel for any CMs that rush to tell me anything. ;). They already annoy the heck out of me when I use manned kiosks because they are all over me trying to tell me how to do things. I know more about the system than they do. The last one was telling me that 2 of my party had already redeemed their RNRC FP+ while I was changing our TOT one. I had to restrain myself from telling him DUH! that's where my kids are right now.

CM at Hollywood Studios told people today they do not encourage folks to link their APs to magic bands due to issues. Specifically said that bugs cause folks FP+ selections to disappear randomly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter