• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using iPhone in US?

dizzypiglit

Earning My Ears
Hi there,
This is the first time that I will use my iPhone in Disney.
Please could someone give me basic instructions on what I have to do to use my phone while there.
Also if I can communicate with the UK without charges.
Thank you!

Hello!

When I travel to the most magical place on Earth, I turn the mobile data off completely on my iPhone. This basically turns it into an old fashioned mobile phone. The charges for making/receiving calls and sending texts from the U.S. Will be available from your network. Some do deals for travel to the U.S. But is still expensive. The Disney parks and resorts all now have free Wifi. Connect to that. You can then use iMessage or whatsapp to keep in touch by text to those in the UK. In terms of calls, I use FaceTime or Skype, which are both free. The Wifi in WDW is actually very good.

I just turn all cellular data off and make sure iMessage send as SMS is off and turn on wifi and thats my iphone for the whole time im there, I use wifi to send iMessage and to make any facetime calls if needed...No nasty bill on your return

What network are you on?

If you are on Three you can just continue to use your phone as you would in the UK.
All 3 of our phones are on Three, can't fault them.:thumbsup2

Hi there,
This is the first time that I will use my iPhone in Disney.
Please could someone give me basic instructions on what I have to do to use my phone while there.
Also if I can communicate with the UK without charges.
Thank you!

If you're not on 3 and thus getting your uk allowance free, the quickest and easiest way with an iphone is to swipe up from the home screen and turn on flight mode, then click on wifi via the same screen. You then have no data or call charges as yo u are on wifi only. With wifi you can use skype or face time (and face-time audio only) to call people.

Simples.

Tony

Thank you both for your replies. I am with O2. I shall follow all of these useful tips. :)

I am so impressed with how helpful the members on here are. :wave2:

If your phone is unlocked you could always pick up a US SIM when you get out there.

I used to use a USA T-Mobile SIM which allowed me to make calls, use the net, etc. The only reason I'm not using it this trip is that my phone is on Three so I get my allowance anyway.

Don't forget to connect to Disney's free WiFi for access to MDE. :)

Thank you both for your replies. I am with O2. I shall follow all of these useful tips. :) I am so impressed with how helpful the members on here are. :wave2:

Please whatever you do, turn your mobile data off. In 2011 - before free wifi in WDW my fiancée who is on O2 checked into Fantasmic and checked her email using mobile data. It was literally switched on for a few minutes. £30 was what it cost her. A similar amount of data was £15 on Vodafone for me. Both are extortionate. For extra piece of mind, ring O2 and make sure you have spending cap in place - mine is £40-£50.

I'd consider buying a 3 pay as you go sim for while you are over there. There is an article on money saving expert but I can't link to it. If you go to their website, travel & motoring, there is a link to mobile roaming. Or google 3 feel at home money saving expert :)

Basically I've paid £15 for a pay as you go sim. That gets me unlimited data, 3000 texts and 300 minutes without costing you an extra penny! I haven't tried it myself yet (going a week on sunday) but a friend used it and said it was great.

You may need to get your iPhone unlocked. It cost me on EE but was free for my mum on O2. Just contact your provider.

I used the 3 pay as you go sim this year with the £15 add on, worked really well. I actually took a spare phone and used it in that as last year I dropped my phone and smashed it and as this year there was so much more attached to my phone I didn't want to be stuck without it. It was really useful when away from the wifi of Disney and don't ask me how but my daughter was able to link up her phone with the data on the spare phone.

ETA if I remember correctly the default with 3 is that roaming is turned off so I had to turn it on unlike the norm as suggested above which is always to turn off roaming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter