Using GCs and Disney Visa Rewards

mom0299

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the Theme Parks Board. But, here goes...

Our trip is paid for and we have the QS DDP. We have booked two table service meals and plan to pay OOP. We have two gift cards and a Disney Visa Rewards card that will help pay for most of that. I would rather not carry all of those cards with me. Can we apply them to our account at check-in and just charge everything with our KTTW card? We would also leave a CC for additional costs, of course.

Yes you can put your GCs on your acct at the front desk, and give your Disney Visa as your charge card at your resort if you want,

I have a different answer. I tried to do this very same thing in October at the Boardwalk and again in January at Kidani Village, and was not allowed to. I was told each time that gift cards can only be applied once there are charges on the account. I even asked a manager at both locations. It would be much easier just to put the gift cards on as a credit, and not have to go back to the front desk to apply them later. You may have a different experience, but so far, I am 2 for 2 with being told no.

I don't feel like there is any difference between putting them on first and doing it after there is a balance?? Go to your meal and then that night go down and apply your gc to your room balance. You would still use your KTTW card but you are just stopping it from going on to the credit card.

I don't feel like there is any difference between putting them on first and doing it after there is a balance?? Go to your meal and then that night go down and apply your gc to your room balance. You would still use your KTTW card but you are just stopping it from going on to the credit card.

Yes, that is what I had to do. It would just be much easier to do it at check-in instead of having to make another trip down to the front desk, which often requires another wait in a long line to talk with a CM.

I have a different answer. I tried to do this very same thing in October at the Boardwalk and again in January at Kidani Village, and was not allowed to. I was told each time that gift cards can only be applied once there are charges on the account. I even asked a manager at both locations. It would be much easier just to put the gift cards on as a credit, and not have to go back to the front desk to apply them later. You may have a different experience, but so far, I am 2 for 2 with being told no.

This has been my experience twice as well. There had to be a charge against the account before I could apply the Disney Reward points. I just charged to our room the first night, and then went back to the desk in the morning. I was able to apply the full amount of the rewards card even though it was way over the room charge. We just charged everything to our room all week and worked off that balance.
I felt it worked fine.

Yes, that is what I had to do. It would just be much easier to do it at check-in instead of having to make another trip down to the front desk, which often requires another wait in a long line to talk with a CM.

Ok, I understand now. I was confused how it was different...lol.

So would it be easier to just take the gift/ reward cards with me and use those at the restaurants. Then if the charge was more than I had on the gift card I would charge the balance to my room? This would avoid standing in line at guest services when we got back to the resort.

So would it be easier to just take the gift/ reward cards with me and use those at the restaurants. Then if the charge was more than I had on the gift card I would charge the balance to my room? This would avoid standing in line at guest services when we got back to the resort.

I'll bet this could work - somewhat related, we used GC's to pay for our park tix, after we checked in and room was already paid for in full (we had booked room-only last time), we still had a balance of $60 after using the GC's, and it was charged to the credit card used upon check-in. Saw the amount on the room bill when we checked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter