• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using family member's magic band

susanh

Mouseketeer
If one of my family members does not go to the park one day due to being ill or tired, can another person use their magic band get into a park? Do they check IDs at the entrance?

If one of my family members does not go to the park one day due to being ill or tired, can another person use their magic band get into a park? Do they check IDs at the entrance?

no sorry - they do a finger scan (sort of like they are taking your finger print but not really) every time you enter a park. The finger scan (its some kind of number they come up with from scanning your finger - you need to use the same finger every time) is then linked to your magic band/ ticket. So it can only be used by one person.

No, you tickets are non-transferable and will not work due to the biometric scan (the finger thing you do). I guess technically, you could use a child's ticket for a different child since there is no scan, but it would be against the rules to do so.

However, I do wonder if you could use FP+ entitlements for someone who is not in the park. It's not clear to me if the band has to be scanned at the entrance for FP+ to work.

Could you use someone's band to do back to back rides with FP? Say all 5 of you have FP for ToT but only 3 ride. Could you switch bands and have 2 people ride it again?

If they have not entered the park, I don't believe the MB will work. Plus, they are connected to one person by a biometric finger scan.

But if they have entered the park and you would like to use their band for FP+, you can.

If they have not entered the park, I don't believe the MB will work. Plus, they are connected to one person by a biometric finger scan. But if they have entered the park and you would like to use their band for FP+, you can.

Recent reports have said that you can use a MB for FP+ even if it hadn't been used to enter the parks. (One report was a man who made FP+ reservations for his wife, who didn't come to the park. He asked a CM if her FP+ would work if he used her MB--and was told yes.). This may change any day, though.

ETA: it just occurred to me that we have done this. My daughter's AP never works on her MB (ever!), but I didn't bring her card last time because we had just gotten new AP bands and silly me, I assumed the new one would work. Anyway, the GR CM at the gate looked at me and my 8-months pregnant belly and just waved my daughter through after I explained that it happens every time. So, my daughter never used her ticket to enter, but we were still able to use the FP+ I had booked for her. Which worked on the MB that was not actually linked to her ticket, according to the tapstile. Whatever.

This is going back to November so it may have changed. We went to MVMCP. We entered the park at 4pm using a hard ticket, not the MB, we didn't link MVMCP to the MB as we were advised not to.

I had made some FP+ between 4 and 7pm. We were able to use our MB to use those FP+ even though we didn't use them to enter the park. So based on that, you can use the FP+ even if the MB weren't used to enter the park.

When you use the MB, your name shows up on the screen, at least for FP+. I haven't looked at the screen when you first enter the park, but I'll bet it does there too. Then all they have to do is ask you for ID to see if you really are that person, if there's any question. This keeps happening to me when I enter the park because I keep switching the MB to the opposite wrist, which means I then use the opposite finger to scan as well. I'm trying to remember to keep the band on my LEFT!

When you use the MB, your name shows up on the screen, at least for FP+. I haven't looked at the screen when you first enter the park, but I'll bet it does there too. Then all they have to do is ask you for ID to see if you really are that person, if there's any question. This keeps happening to me when I enter the park because I keep switching the MB to the opposite wrist, which means I then use the opposite finger to scan as well. I'm trying to remember to keep the band on my LEFT!

I can see why CMs would care at the park entrance, but I haven't heard of any CMs caring at a FP entrance.

You can't use someone else's band to enter the park, but you absolutely can use a ticket or band from someone else for FP+, even if it hasn't been used to enter the park. The CMs know that people are swapping bands to use FP+ in some instances and it's perfectly fine.

It's possible that the "loophole" allowing non-park-access bands to have "their" FP+s used will be closed, but people will still be able to swap bands for FP+, for example if you have a kiddo who decides he doesn't want to ride RNR and Dad wants to ride twice.

A FP+ is a FP+... who cares who uses it if it's already booked and no one else can use that slot anyway? :confused3

I can see why CMs would care at the park entrance, but I haven't heard of any CMs caring at a FP entrance.

I hope not, because I'm planning on taking my DH's band as soon as we arrive Tusday and going on Soarin' twice while he unwinds in the pool!

JanaDee said:
If they have not entered the park, I don't believe the MB will work. Plus, they are connected to one person by a biometric finger scan.

But if they have entered the park and you would like to use their band for FP+, you can.

While they were testing. ... I used my magic band during test 4-7 time lapse @ mnsshp. However I did not use me mb to enter the park as it was a hard ticket event and was not linked.

So yes it should work but it also took a day off of our tickets as if I didn't pay seperate and use my hard ticket.

While they were testing. ... I used my magic band during test 4-7 time lapse @ mnsshp. However I did not use me mb to enter the park as it was a hard ticket event and was not linked.

So yes it should work but it also took a day off of our tickets as if I didn't pay seperate and use my hard ticket.

That's a bit alarming! Did you try to get that fixed somehow? I would be very upset to lose a park day that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter