Using DVC points outside of WDW or other vac. club

KristiKelly

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>
Over the last week, DH & I have discussed buying an RV, with 2 kids DD4 & DS6, camping would be fun (being in NC - go to the beach & mountains & of course FW @ WDW). Last night he said, "we really need to think about all of the cost: $20,000 camper (depreciating item), insurance, wear & tear on his truck, still have to pay for camp sites, and storage of it" (we can't keep it on our property - association rules). Then he said IT - "How much did that guy ("that guy" being Gib our tour guide last fall @ DVC) say it would cost to join Disney Vacation Club?..." now, if we were to buy, we'd probably go resale, we love BCV. The real question is we want our kids to see things other than just Disney, DS6 already says that he wants to go to Mexico and we would love to give DS & DD things like that (over junkie toys that break). How many of you use your points for traveling other than Disney. I know there is a transfer fee $95 (I believe). Are there other vacation clubs that are better suited for this & work on points so you don't have to go same time each year. We sat thru a timeshare presentation @ the beach once, this particular company left a really bad impression. We know that DVC is not pushy or cheezy, are there others? I pulled up Mariott Vac Club on-line, but they didn't offer a big selection - just Aruba I think - seems like DVC offers more variety. I know this is long, but I hope it makes a little sense as to what I'm asking, thanks for any input.

You might get a broad range of opinions in answer to this question. Here are some fundamentals to help you make up your mind.

* The DVC selection for trading out is not bad. There are a few hundred properties available, many of which (but not all) are first class.

* The procedure for trading out is rather hit-or-miss. You contact member services (they are helpful) and they try to broker a trade. Since there are no guarantees and you'll only get a trade out if someone at the place you're going wants to trade in, it helps to be rather flexible. If you give MS a selection of locations, resorts and dates to work with, you're much more likely to succeed than if you pick one particular week for one particular resort. We recently set up a trip to Hawaii by giving MS only one week to work with but a broad selection of resorts on different islands, including one that members frequently succeed with. We made our connection right away, and will travel there next March.

* Using DVC points to trade out is more economical than traveling to a first-class hotel (particularly when it comes to suites) but less economical than renting a condo or renting a time-share directly. On the other hand, you have the security of having MS act as your broker, so you don't have to do all the work. For this reason, if you're stretching your dollar, some people feel that it's best to depend on DVC primarily for trips within the Disney system. If, however, you're using DVC as a way to prepay vacations under the convenient umbrella of member services, then trading out can work for you.

This is an area where people take sides quite passionately. So let the debates begin...

We own another TS in Williamsburg, Va., in fact we will spend a week there in June. We trade it through RCI to go visit places all over the country. There are many, many other things we want our kids to experience besides WDW. All the places that DH and I saw as kids, and all the things we have never seen. Anyway, we also go to Disney every 12 to 18 months and love staying on-site, so we bought BCV when they were selling there (just made our first trip there, FANTASTIC!!!) To us, DVC makes the most sence for staying at Disney. If you want another TS I recommend looking into re-sell. Most other TS sales are much more high pressure than DVC. We have also considered buying a camper but have had the same concerns as you are having. We feel it would be best for short trips close to home, like long weekends for hiking and such. We have 4 kids and I don't think I could remain sane after more than a few days in a camper LOL!!!! The reason we bought into the TS thing, though, is because we are a family of six. It is just so nice to have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 3 tvs, a kitchen, and a washer/dryer when travelling. It is hard for us now when we stay in hotel rooms, but I might feel differently with just 2 kids. You have a lot to think about, good luck with your decision....Lacee

If you want to use your points for other than going to WDW and staying at a DVC resort then do not buy into DVC. You will be burning money in most cases when you use points away from the DVC resorts. I have made 18 trips on my DVC membership and used points away from DVC at WDW only once. For a one bedroom at WDW it would cost 80 points for a 5 night stay at OKW in January, it cost 52 points per night to stay in a one bedroom of equal quality for me away from Disney-tranlation 260 points for a 5 day stay at the away from WDW resort compared to 80 points at WDW. If you want to join DVC to go to WDW fine, a trip away once in awhile is o-k, but the way you make it sound the primary goal would be to use your points elsewhere, that is major mistake and the wrong reason to join DVC.

I agree with Pa@okw95 - if you are primarily interested in trading, there are many less expensive timeshares to accomplish that other than DVC.

Buy only the number of DVC points that you think you will need for Disney (or Hilton Head or Vero Beach) stays. For example, if you think you need 300 points and will go every third year, then look for a resale of 100 points. You can use the banking and borrowing features to make your 300 point reservation every third year.

Use another less expensive time share to trade for your other vacations.

Best wishes -

Well, we would still be going to WDW every 18-24 monthes and travel other places as well. RCI, is that similar to DVC - points? I just don't won't to deal with another high-pressure salesperson. The one we had before (not DVC) made us feel like pure white-trash, scum of the earth, dirt poor people by the time we left. DH is not going to buy from someone like that.

it cost 52 points per night to stay in a one bedroom of equal quality for me away from Disney-tranlation 260 points for a 5 day stay at the away from WDW resort compared to 80 points at WDW.
Hmm. On the dates of our 7-night Hawaii vacation a 1-bedroom at our home resort of BCV would cost 270 points. We traded out and are getting a 7-night 1-bedroom in Hawaii for 144 points.

You can see what I mean about people getting passionate on this subject. The points are yours to deal with. If you want Disney to be the center of your travel with every second or third trip somewhere else, and you want the simplicity of owning only one timeshare and having Member Services do the work for you, it might work for you even if it doesn't work for the next person.

go join

www.tug2.net

they can help you.

If you want to go to WDW every year or every other year - then definitely buy 150 points. You can also buy another timeshare fairly cheap and trade to other places.

I have besides DVC, a SA (South Africia) to trade, and a timeshare on Panama City Beach to use. I am happy with my purchases.

Marriott has alot of places to go - and they are constantly building. - did you go to the right website?
www.vacationclub.com

I can't afford both a DVC and a Marriott - so I do what I can with what I have....

Oh - I also have no wish to fly ANYWHERE so I am very happy with the places in the South that I can drive too - been to
Williamsburg, Hilton Head, Mrytle Beach with trades. and of course Orlando - okay I am a Disney nut - even my non-Disney trips I still Love ORLANDO.....

Those that own points can and should do what they want with them. You have the advantage of being able to chose up front. There are a number of points I'd make but in the end, the decision it totally yours. DVC may or may not work for you but I'd never buy it for exchange purposes, especially for every other year. That's not to say it wouldn't work for you, just that it likely won't work as well as other options and the overall out of pocket costs would be dramatically higher than other options.

DVC may well still fit in your plans but you should buy the number of points you think you'll use just for DVC with maybe a small buffer. Then look to other options for the additional travel choices. Some people are RV people and others are far more happy with timeshares. Unless you use an RV a lot (meaning months every year), it's not likely you'll be able to justify the expense in your situation. Just storage of the RV would likely be more per year than DVC dues would cost you.

The CC collection and other similar none II and non DVC stays will rarely if even return enough value compared to just keeping your money and paying cash. You should not buy with the idea of using them for a number of reasons including both value and the fact they would be removed tomorrow. Even the II options are pretty limited overall and you'd likely be better off buying a different timeshare for the non DVC trips, possibly in conjunction with the number of DVC points you'd use.

What I'd recomment depends on a number of factors. These include the following but there may be others.
  • How many weeks a year we're talking about.
  • When you travel.
  • Can you go for a week at a time or are we talking long weekends.
  • Where you like to go
  • How flexible you are and how far in advance you can or must plan your time.
  • What type of accomodations you like.
For mostly just weekends, I doubt there's any timeshare option I'd recommend. Still, you may want to look at things like Marriott (not their points program), Fairfield, Bluegreen and the like. Just getting an in with II or RCI gives you access to their excess inventory which you can buy for a song on short notice for off time. While 300 DVC points might cost around $21000 resale and come with dues of $1200 per year, 150 DVC points plus a SA week will cost in the range of $11000 and dues of $800. 150 DVC points plus a high trading Marriott will cost about the same as 300 DVC points and with about the same dues but give you far more travel time, access to II and far more options. So there are many choices of all sizes and costs. But the one choice I feel rock solid about is to not buy DVC points with the idea of trading them for any of the options, it'd just not a smart or reasonable thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter