Using DVC Points for Disneyland Hotel!

KyleRayner

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used DVC Points for Disneyland Hotel? I'll be at DL for DL Half Marathon which is Labor Day Weekend! The Grand has no availability and I've never used my DVC for a non-villa room before. Just wondering if its a waste of points if I do so?!

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

Compare the equivalent point cost at $11 per point, add the $95 fee and compare that against the rate if paying cash.

:earsboy: Bill

There is no $95 charge for using points at DL Hotel. We stayed this past August, did a split between VGC and DLH and loved it. We had two connecting rooms at DLH and loved staying onsite. You will be right at DTD, can catch the monorail, have early entry.

Yes I have and been satisfied with the value. And there isn't a $95 fee for booking the DL hotels.

You just need to look at how many points it requires and compare to what you could get for those points if you rented and how much you would pay for the room if you booked cash and decide if the value is appropriate in your opinion.

If you have no other plans for the points, and you want to stay at the DLH (it's a really good hotel!), then it's a great use of your points.

The thing worth mentioning is that once you use the points to make the DLh reservation, if something opened up at the Grand you canNOT use those same points to book the villa. The points are changed, and can only be used for the "hotel" type reservation after they've been used for that sort of booking. So once you book at DLH, don't wait list or check on availability, or you'll make yourself crazy.

We used points for DLH last year, right after they had completed the renovation. Great hotel rooms , great location (would say GCV location is better) and great Tiki bar! Well worth the points.
Had not been to DL for years, it's such a more relaxed vibe than WDW- we need to plan another trip there.

We have done it twice and both times it was completely worth it as DLH is beautiful and it was less expensive than booking the rooms with cash.

Also, depending on how long you're planning on staying you would possibly get a reservation for the week after Labor Day at VGC. When I did the half marathon in 2011, I was ended up staying off Saturday and Sunday Night and at the VGC Monday through Friday.

Yes, we have, and it seems every other year or so. Unlike at WDW, the DVC options are limited. However, the point cost for DLH and PPH are pretty reasonable, in my opinion, so it is worth it. If you want a room and have points, feel free.

The one caveat I will add is your points need to qualify. By that I mean purchased before March 2011 or as a direct sale after this time. The DLR hotels are in the Disney Collection, which is not available for resale purchase points after March 2011 (correct my dates if they are wrong, please).

Otherwise, have at it, as I vote yes it is worth it! :thumbsup2

In Aug 2012 we stayed 1 night at the Disneyland Hotel, 3 nights at the Grand Californian Villas and 2 nights in a regular room at the Grand Californian. We wait listed the entire time for a GCV studio but only the 3 nights became available. We didn't get charged the $95 fee. My DH, DS15, DS11, and I all preferred the Disneyland Hotel. We LOVED the room, especially the headboard that had "fireworks" light up. We also really liked the pool better at the Disneyland Hotel. It was our first trip with our sons to California and we all agreed that if we go back we'd rather stay at the Disneyland Hotel.

Disneyland Hotel rooms are very nice but do keep in mind that they are HOTEL rooms rather than VILLAS.

Comparing to a DVC Studio, DLH rooms do have mini refrigerators but no true kitchenette or microwave. DLH rooms do not have balconies.

Rooms have either one king size bed or two queens vs. the queen + sofabed setup in most DVC Studios. That's a personal preference issue but normally when it's just my wife and I in a room, it's nice to have the sofa available for reclining rather than an extra bed which goes unused.

DLH is also quite a bit more removed from the action than the Grand Californian. Takes a lot longer to reach either theme park from DLH than from GC. It's no worse than many of the WDW resort-to-park trips, but it's difficult to not be envious of the much closer proximity of GC.

On the plus side, the DLH pool is very nice (albeit a little small) and it has some great restaurants including Trader Sam's and Steakhouse 55.

I found it to be a value to me last summer, as the DLH didn't have any discounts beyond the AAA, and it was pricey! Four nights would have been around $1,600 with AAA. We booked as last as possible, as I was on the waitlist for GVC, which never came through. While we enjoyed DLH, we later in the same trip did one night at PP. PP won, hands down. We were upgraded to park view (what you get for calling on the road from Bakersfield, lol) for standard rate. And we didn't use the pools in either stop. I'd do DLH for the pool, or if you really wanted the fun headboard, or PP for the view. FWIW.

When I asked the question on the DisneyLand board, the opinions definately skewed towards DLH. But I expected dd15 to want to sit by the pool, and she didn't.

I've done it a couple of times using my points and I loved it. I thought it was totally worth it !

We were there during marathon weekend in 2010 - it was kind of annoying for us, we had to leave the hotel early in the am to make it to the airport for our check out and..... they hadn't told us we wouldn't be able to leave during the marathon!

So we were a little peeved that they strung us along for over an hour about whether we would be able to leave or not!

Fortunately we were able to leave in enough time to get to the airport on time!

We did 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel, then 3 nights in a 1BR at VGC, and then 2 nights at Paradise Pier.

It was an absolutely wonderful vacation, and we can't wait to go back!

Be sure to take a whale watching excursion out of Newport Beach! That is Blue Whale season and it was AMAZING!!!!

We will be at the DLH for three nights on points following the DCL Panama Canal cruise in May. We stayed there on points two years ago and loved it! The lovely rooms, cute pool, good restaurants, characters in the lobby, etc.

Not sure I understand why some people complain about the walk to the parks...it's all of about 10-15 minutes through DTD or the monorail to MK is even closer--nothing compared to the schlep on the WDW buses.

Not sure I understand why some people complain about the walk to the parks...it's all of about 10-15 minutes through DTD or the monorail to MK is even closer--nothing compared to the schlep on the WDW buses.

I agree it's nothing like the trip from most WDW resorts to parks, but that's apples and oranges in many ways.

I'll share a story. About 3-4 years ago we were at DL in August staying in the Grand Californian. We spent the morning touring Disney California Adventure and decided to take a break...maybe swim at the hotel. This was around noon.

As we prepared to exit the park, we noticed that FastPasses for Grizzly River Run (water ride) had a return time in the 2:30 - 3:00 neighborhood. Standby was over an hour. On a whim, we grabbed a set of FPs.

We went back to the hotel for lunch and then down to the pool. When our FP return time arrived, everyone was already in swimsuits. We each tossed-on a t-shirt and some sandals, and walked straight into the park to ride GRR.

After the ride we walked back to our room to change clothes and get ready for the evening.

There is just no WDW comparison for what we did. Our total travel time from the resort pool to the attraction was under 2 minutes thanks to the side gate which happens to deposit you right next to GRR.

From Disneyland Hotel, it would have been 15+ minutes of walking each way to do the same thing.

Monorail isn't particularly reliable as a mode of transportation given the small capacity and often infrequent schedule.

I wouldn't say that the location of DLH is bad--particularly if you're used to travel times at Walt Disney World. But it's not nearly as good as GC. With respect to the theme parks, there's just no advantage to staying at DLH over GC. Unless you're a fan of Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Club or one of the restaurants at DLH, it takes longer to travel to pretty much everywhere.

We stayed there 1 night 2 years ago! Definitely worth it. Let me find my thread with pictures fabulous!

We stayed on points in June 2011. We had been at VGC for 3 nights and the final night waitlist did not come through ( it was the day Star Tours officially reopened). We got a renovated room- in fact were the first folks to stay in it. Our room had 2 queen beds and the sofa pulled out! Not sure if they all do but it was a pleasant surprise. Our kids were thrilled after several nights in the studio at VGC.

We loved the pool and the new rooms. We had stayed in the old rooms many times on cash. We agreed that it was a great option to use our points at DLH, and would happily do it again.

I've booked dlh with points. My view is that you already put cash out to buy and pay dues on your points. You already prepaid. Renting points to pay cash for the room is your option if you want to deal with being a landlord. You'll make some money but is being a landlord worth it? I don't think so but that's up to you. I bought my points to use in the system, not try to maximize their value through dabbling in the rental market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter