Using DVC Points for cruises...how is it done?

3kids4me

<font color=magenta>Besotted Pin Lover<br><font co
I read the FAQs, but I don't see anything specific on how exactly one can use DVC points for Disney cruises. I'm wondering, also, if it is worth using them in that way.

We are considering buying into DVC, but my daughter really wants to go on a cruise soon!

Thanks for any help!!

There is a point chart, just like the villas have. Each stateroom is categorized according to time and size. However, I have been reading these boards for a while, and most experts feel it is a waste of points (and money) to exchange for a cruise. They recommend you rent out your points and use the cash to pay for a cruise.

Whether it is worth the points or not is a widely varied opinion. One opinion that is not varied is that you should not buy points if your sole intention is to cruise.

We have cruised on points before and paid cash for cruises. Both time I felt I got my moneys worth. (I have also rented points.) Depending on what time of year you cruise, your calculated "exchange rate" will vary. In the fall, DCL offers alot of discounts on the cruises, so the point exchange is rather low. In the summer, it is higher.

Another factor people disagree on is the value of the points. I usually compare mine to what I paid for them. Others value them at what they can rent them for. Paying with points has little risk involved. The biggest being you need to cancel your cruise and thus your points become reservation points. If you rent out your points you have all the risk of renting. The buyer doesn't pay up. The buyer decides to cancel his trip and wants his money back. etc.(all these issues need to be settled before you rent)

The rules for booking a cruise are that you can book as early as 11 month out. Once you book the cruise, the points belong to DVC. If you cancel, you will only be able to use those points in the Disney Collection or the Conceirge Collection. You can book using a combination of cash and points. Each person has to be booked with either points or cash. A single person can not be booked with part points and part cash. All cash (plus a $75 exchange fee) are due at booking. No deposits with balance dues at 60 days. This rule is why we usually book cash. Not that we don't think it is a good value.

Also, don't forget if you rent out your points to pay for the DCL cruise; you have to pay income tax on what you get for your rental. This reduces the amount you would have to pay for the cruise.

We booked a cruise on points yesterday. The CM, Michael, also gave the dates of penalty for cancellation as far as losing points when you cancel closer to the cruise. We're buying cruise insurance, we expect to go, it was very easy to book through MS.

Bobbi:D

Originally posted by WolfpackFan
Also, don't forget if you rent out your points to pay for the DCL cruise; you have to pay income tax on what you get for your rental. This reduces the amount you would have to pay for the cruise.

I would guess to say maybe 1% of the DVC members that rent their points out would do the above.

Do NOT buy into DVC mainly to cruise. Using points to cruise is not the best use of points. Points for cruising have gone up 5 straight years. This year alone, points for cruising went up 16% across the board.

We rented our points out to pay cash(DreamsUnlimited) for the cruise next Feb and saved 150 points this way.

Thank you everyone!

The cruise would be a one time thing, but I was curious as to how it might fit in with our plans.

I really appreciate the very helpful responses!!

I just booked my third cruise on points. Its awsome that we have prepaid disney cruises as well as resort accomadations. The points I have paid were comparable to the cost of the cruise at the rental rate of $10pp. If you have the luxury of booking early , you can save alot. If you book late, sometimes the points are a better deal. Especially high season. Ive been made aware that meals are included in the price for the cruise so thats why its so much more then land accomadations. The bottom line is because we own the points my family gets to cruise more often then we could have afforded otherwise. Thats priceless!!

Back to the original question how is it done? Thats easy, call member services , and you will have the most friendly helpful folks booking you with ease.

We were in a position of use or lose this year. We didnt really want to spend alot of money on a vacation or go through renting so we decided that to use the points to cruise worked for us. A cruise was pretty much all inclusive and I can be 90% sure ahead of time what to budget. We figured that if we went to BCV's this summer the park passes (DH, Me, 2 DS's) alone would equal the cost of cruise tips and DS's cost for a cruise. There is also the added bonus of child care on the cruise. Worked great for us being on a limited vacation budget this year. We are looking forward to an October 16th Eastern Cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter