Using DVC points for a cruise?

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
I know it's been asked before, but we're thinking of booking a cruise using points for one of us and cash for the other..I will have enough points to book the room level that we want, but only for one of us.

My actual question is: can DVC member services do that? And do they know enough about the cruises, the ships, etc to answer any detailed questions??

OK--that was 2 questions:)

Let me give the obligatory disclaimer: before you book, be sure to price the same trip paying in cash versus points. E.g. if your cruise costs 260 points and the cash equivalent is $2100, then you'd be better off renting your points at $10 each and then paying in cash.

Yes, when you call Member Services, they can book one of you on points and one cash. For our March 2013 Fantasy cruise we booked DH and I on points and paid cash for our DD. :thumbsup2

They can...We recently booked a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream, using points for one and paying cash for the other. The cash difference you pay with DVC is a little higher then what you would pay directly through DCL (ours was a $10 difference). Yes, they can answer your questions and whenever they don't know something 100%, they call DCL to ask.:thumbsup2 Sometimes it isn't the best way to use your points but for us it less money out of pocket and we really didn't want to deal with renting out points (just our opinion).

Does DCL afford a cash discount on cruise fares to DVC members (like the 25% at the resorts)?

No they don't offer 25% discount like resorts. Man would that be nice though. Even 10 % discount would be incredible and be an nice bonus for being DVC members but alas they don't do that.

Thanks for the response. I thought I remembered reading it somewhere but it didn't make sense since we get 10% when we book while onboard the ship. I appreciate the information.

One follow up question please?

Was looking thru the 2012 member Guidebook and noticed that no Concierge Rooms on any ship were listed??

Or was I misreading?

From what I've read, the Concierge service seems worth it re: advance booking, reservations, etc etc??

Was looking thru the 2012 member Guidebook and noticed that no Concierge Rooms on any ship were listed??

Or was I misreading?

From what I've read, the Concierge service seems worth it re: advance booking, reservations, etc etc??

You will need to call MS to get the points costs for Concierge. They are available on points, but they do not publish them. Good luck!

I know it's been asked before, but we're thinking of booking a cruise using points for one of us and cash for the other..I will have enough points to book the room level that we want, but only for one of us.

My actual question is: can DVC member services do that? And do they know enough about the cruises, the ships, etc to answer any detailed questions??

OK--that was 2 questions:)

If you have questions about the ships / staterooms / locations / decks etc. you'd be better off going over to the Disney Cruiseline board here on the DIS to ask your questions. There are tons of cruisers over there that know the ships inside & out and you can collect some really valuable info. over there before you rush into burning up that many points.

Does DCL afford a cash discount on cruise fares to DVC members (like the 25% at the resorts)?

:rotfl2: That's a good one!! :lmao: Thanks for the laugh!!

You will need to call MS to get the points costs for Concierge. They are available on points, but they do not publish them. Good luck!

They will also call 911 for you after they tell you the number of points required.

Thanks for the response. I thought I remembered reading it somewhere but it didn't make sense since we get 10% when we book while onboard the ship. I appreciate the information.

If you rebook while on the ship, you can get it switched to use your DVC points and save a little. (DVC has DCL refund your deposit back to the credit card you used to book on ship) We ended up saving something like 17 points for me and DH when we booked/switched ours; nothing for the children. Yes, we know it's a "bad" use of points, but after this October's trip, we will not be able to take another trip for a year due to DH's work schedule, so for us, at this time, it made sense. Financially, we know it's not a great use of points. However, we also get the dining plan when we stay at WDW using our DVC, so adding the extra $1400 for 4 "adults" for 7 nights that we would normally pay for the DDP, makes it hurt less.

Or was I misreading?

I don't think anyone's spelled it out. The cash price, esp the early booking discount, is not reflected in the pricing through DVC when you do points for one. You must do one adult in each cabin then you must pay for each additional person in total by points or cash. Unless you miss the early booking discounts, the cash amount for 3 plus one on points can easily approach the cash price without using your points reserved directly. Thus, as noted above, compare both. Also realize that if you book with points, the points cannot be returned as DVC points and are severely limited if you have to cancel. Any cash amount is due in full when you book through MS in combination. As for the higher cabins, these are usually not discounted so I don't think the additional benefits alone are worth the cost if that's the reason for the higher option. You've simply got to value the extra room and opulence itself to justify them. Still, compare all options direct and not. Often IF you do want to book a category higher than listed on the chart, they are not discounted so sometimes the return on price per point comes out better, it's just generally expensive no matter how you pay for it.

Thanks for the responses!! I know the cash cost of the Concierge rooms, but feel like I will waste points by not using them..the cruise will take the place of our visit for WDW both times that year.

Anyway, am on the Cruise Boards looking over the overwhelming amout of info, opinions, etc etc.
Never knew booking a cruise could be so complicated!!

Let me give the obligatory disclaimer: before you book, be sure to price the same trip paying in cash versus points. E.g. if your cruise costs 260 points and the cash equivalent is $2100, then you'd be better off renting your points at $10 each and then paying in cash.

That's what I'd do.

The last cruise I booked I used David's Rental to rent out enough of my points at $10 a point to me to pay cash for the cruise. Overall I used about 20% less points and made magic for three family renting my points, since they saved about half of the rack rate on their room reservation.

Five years ago I sold my points and I had enough money from selling them to book the cruise for 2. Pay for airfare for me, my husband, daughter and granddaughter. Since my daughter and granddaughter were meeting us after the cruise for a few Disney World days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter