Using buses vs driving to the parks

But I would never drive to MK if I could take a bus -- once you've done the monorail and ferry to and from the TTC you get over the dazzle of it. Especially at park closing that extra 40 minutes - 1 hr of travel to get to your car ie. wait for the monorail, ride the monorail, wait for the parking tram, ride the parking tram, can just be a downer at the end of a really long day.

I would never take a bus if I could drive which is why I do drive to every park including the MK. In the past 10 years even with monorail delays it has never taken 40 minutes to 1 hour to get to my car at MK. This week it took approx 10-15 minutes from the car to the park entrance. The downer to me is mashing into a crowded bus with no where to sit and listening to someone's kid crying while at the same time smelling someone else BO at the end of a very long day. Driving is so much more convenient, faster, and relaxing. ;)

We found driving to the MK to be very easy!!! If you go at rope drop, you'll have a very close parking space to the front of the lot OR if you take a mid-day break, we got even closer on our return. Usually we've been so close as to walk to the TTC. We'd have to backtrack a little to get on the tram. Riding the boat to the MK is lovely and there is usually not a long line.

I was like the OP and wasn't sure and like many others have posted thought that parking at the MK was a hassle. But that has not been our experience. And we have always gotten out of parking lots quickly, no back-ups. (We travel in summer)

After witnessing a 3 bus crash at the MK on a busy night, I will never ride standing again. (think domino effect with buses).

We did an experient during our trip. DH drove the car from Epcot to SSR and I took the bus. DH waited at SSR for 42 minutes for me to arrive. The next day we did the same only in reverse. I took the bus to the AK and he drove. He waited 28 mintues for me. So there was over an hour of vacation time spent taking Disney transportation. Mulitply that by a 7 day trip and you have spent 7 hours just waiting/riding buses!!!!
If you go to more that one park a day the time wasted on Disney tranporation in crazy

OH wow! Thanks for sharing. We had to wait on a Magic Kingdom bus for over 30 min when we were heading to the Halloween party this past Oct and it really got me to thinking how much time we were wasting...

We found driving to the MK to be very easy!!! If you go at rope drop, you'll have a very close parking space to the front of the lot OR if you take a mid-day break, we got even closer on our return. Usually we've been so close as to walk to the TTC. We'd have to backtrack a little to get on the tram. Riding the boat to the MK is lovely and there is usually not a long line.

I was like the OP and wasn't sure and like many others have posted thought that parking at the MK was a hassle. But that has not been our experience. And we have always gotten out of parking lots quickly, no back-ups. (We travel in summer)

After witnessing a 3 bus crash at the MK on a busy night, I will never ride standing again. (think domino effect with buses).

It sounds like you have it figured out! I'm not sure we'll ever get there that early but maybe we could give it a try if the kids get enough sleep.

We drive from IL and had 6 kids under the age of 9 in 2010. There is something about exhausted kids getting into their own carseats at the end of a long day. We stay offsite so it is my only option, but I remember the buses when it was just two of us. Folding strollers for buses while holding kids sounds like a nightmare when leaving after fireworks...etc.

If you are a AAA member, ask about getting a diamond parking pass, if not, you might want to look at an online auction site. Diamond parking is immediately past the handicapped spots so you can avoid the trams too. Two trips for us and we've never had to use the trams once in the parking lots.

Good luck, I'll be back there in April to do the world with 7 kids this year. :-)

Ok, question ..if we drive to let's say Epcot, then park hop all day using Disney transportation.. I run the risk of not getting transportation back to where my car is right? So should I park where I think I will end up, then park hop from there? Confused :confused3

Ok, question ..if we drive to let's say Epcot, then park hop all day using Disney transportation.. I run the risk of not getting transportation back to where my car is right? So should I park where I think I will end up, then park hop from there? Confused :confused3

Simply knowing park hours for the day you're driving would answer this for you. If the park you're ending up at is open later than EPCOT, you may want to park where you end up at. If EPCOT is open later, then park at EPCOT.

Simply knowing park hours for the day you're driving would answer this for you. If the park you're ending up at is open later than EPCOT, you may want to park where you end up at. If EPCOT is open later, then park at EPCOT.

Thank you, I don't know why my brain couldn't compress that ..until I see it written out.. Txs!

We never really minded the buses. Some minor irritations but that happens. We were just happy to be at Disney and have the option to be driven around.
We rented a car on one trip because we were going to Universal for two days and what it would cost us in shuttle fees would be almost equal to what it would cost to rent the car.

I can tell you now we LOVE having our own car. Like many of the others we don't bother to drive to the MK, but we do drive everywhere else. I love not having to be ready to walk out the door 1.5 hours before an ADR. I love the freedom overall. Now, if I were staying at an Epcot resort again, I wouldn't bother simply because that would be 3 parks we wouldn't need to drive to. Anywhere else, we get the car.

This is great information because for the past 3 trips to Disney World we never thought of driving to any of the parks. But after our trip last April and having to stand in line for over 40 minutes just to get back to our resort we had it. We thought it was because we were staying at a Value Resort and thought never again will we stay in one but now knowing we can park for free if staying onsite makes it great for us since we drive from NC anyways.

One thing is what do you when you have an ADR at one of the resorts? Can you just drive over to the resort and then drive over to the park we want? I'm asking this because we're planning a surprise trip and we're trying to figure this all out before we go.

This is great information because for the past 3 trips to Disney World we never thought of driving to any of the parks. But after our trip last April and having to stand in line for over 40 minutes just to get back to our resort we had it. We thought it was because we were staying at a Value Resort and thought never again will we stay in one but now knowing we can park for free if staying onsite makes it great for us since we drive from NC anyways.

One thing is what do you when you have an ADR at one of the resorts? Can you just drive over to the resort and then drive over to the park we want? I'm asking this because we're planning a surprise trip and we're trying to figure this all out before we go.

Yep:)

Just drive to the resort where you are having dinner and let the gate guard know that's what you are doing, and then move to the park when you're done. Easy!:)

Yep:)

Just drive to the resort where you are having dinner and let the gate guard know that's what you are doing, and then move to the park when you're done. Easy!:)

Thank you so much! I think we will be driving this go round to all of the parks. Seems like it would be a great thing for us to do since my daughter has asperger's and she freaks out when the buses get extremely crowded.

if at end of night both the monrail and the ferry can be crowded to get back to parking for MK, even handicap parking is at TTC, not MK.

I agree with Betty, getting back to the TTC can be busy, but we have been able to keep stroller kids in it, sleeping on the monorail and the boat...all the way to our van.

Edit:
Sorry, missed the Asperger note. I'd say I've never been on a monorail or boat that felt as jammed as the buses can...but maybe it happens.

I'm not big on huge crowds so we often leave MK, watch Wishes from the Boat Dock at the MK where you can still hear the music, and then leave when it's over. We hop right on a tram or the monorail etc before the floods of people come. Works perfectly.:)

I would never take a bus if I could drive which is why I do drive to every park including the MK. In the past 10 years even with monorail delays it has never taken 40 minutes to 1 hour to get to my car at MK. This week it took approx 10-15 minutes from the car to the park entrance. The downer to me is mashing into a crowded bus with no where to sit and listening to someone's kid crying while at the same time smelling someone else BO at the end of a very long day. Driving is so much more convenient, faster, and relaxing. ;)

I agree with you on 2 things. Rent car and drive to all the parks (or resorts) and Let's go Blackhawks! :thumbsup2

we never drive to the parks. Even when we are staying off site, there are planty of free places to park that wont get you towed, yet allow easy access to the disney bus or boat system.

If my kids can stand on a bus, or walk to the room after a night at the parks, then they either need to get i better shape, or we need to leave earlier.

Since no one wants to leave early, my kids are in shape. they know what to expect. at 5 and 11, no one gets carried. you walk or we do go.

you would be amazed what your kids can accomplish if you just push them a little.

livsmom04 said:

No it isn't just a value resort thing. We've stayed at moderates and dvc resorts and had to wait a while for buses that were often crowded at both of those as well. I think driving for adrs at resorts sounds much easier than switching transportation a couple of times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter