• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using amex gift card from rewards as OBC?

geoly1

Mouseketeer
We are redeeming American Express rewards points for gift cards to use for our on board credit. Has anyone done this? It says we can only use them "in the usa" ...do you run to Guest Services before the boat leaves port? TIA!!

We are redeeming American Express rewards points for gift cards to use for our on board credit. Has anyone done this? It says we can only use them "in the usa" ...do you run to Guest Services before the boat leaves port? TIA!!

We didn't try AMX, but we did try a Visa Reward/Gift Card a couple of times. These cards also said, they must be used in USA, cannot be used for international transactions.

The first time, on the Dream, we had to get one of the higher up Guest Services accountants involved before they could accept the card, however, they did eventually accept it, so I thought we would be OK on another cruise.

Fast forward to a year later on the Wonder for an Alaskan Cruise, they tried to run the cards but they were rejected every time by the equipment. All GS would do is tell me to check with the card issuer. When I did check with the issuer, I was told that they can only be used in the US and the cruise ship is not registered in US so they cannot be used. Didn't matter if the ship was docked in the US or not, Ship not registered in US, so the card cannot be used for transactions there. Any transaction coming from the ship is considered an international transaction, at least for this card issuer.

Now what we do, is always take these cards and buy Disney Gift Cards with them in the US. Disney Gift Cards will always be accepted on the ship. You might consider this to avoid any potential disappointment if they won't/can't accept the AMX.

From the American Express website:
American Express Gift Cards and Business Gift Cards are useable in the U.S., Puerto Rico and USVI and cannot be used at cruise lines, for recurring billing purchases, or at ATMs. Additional limitations apply. See American Express Gift Card Cardholder Agreement or American Express Business Gift Card Cardholder Agreement, as applicable.

We've done that with a few Amex gift cards on a Med sailing while onboard. Did not have any problems. Definitely not in the USA at that time.

I hate credit card gift cards. I received a $250 visa gift card this week and tried to make a payment on our cruise and it kept getting rejected (tried many different dollar amounts). I ended up going to Target and buying Disney Gift cards with it.

We've done that with a few Amex gift cards on a Med sailing while onboard. Did not have any problems. Definitely not in the USA at that time.

Same here - used my Amex gift card this past summer on the Magic.

I don't know if this helps.. but I'll offer it up.

In my personal experience, the gift cards (once redeemed) are exactly just that... Gift cards. They can be used for anything you can use a gift card for (in this case, an OBB). The connection to AMEX is severed once the gift card is purchased/redeemed.

However, personally, I think that AMEX points being used for gift card purchases is not the optimal way of redeeming valuable AMEX points. You may want to consider seeing this guy's blog on effective ways to use points.. It's one of my favorites: http://thepointsguy.com. He does a monthly valuation of points (currently rating AMEX about $.02 per point compared to the $.01 per point a gift card purchase gives you). He also goes over justification for his valuation and suggestions for redemptions.

Personally, I miss living in Ohio. My strategy used to be that when I was in Ohio, I'd wait for a quarterly promotion at Giant Eagle for free gas on Gift cards (with no limit). Then, I'd use my 5 points per dollar at grocery store AMEX credit card to stock up on enough Disney gift cards to get a free tank of gas (buying Disney cards and a single candy bar to ensure the transaction was coded as "grocery"). Then, I'd be getting 10% in terms of AMEX points valuation in addition to a free tank of gas every quarter.

Now that I'm in California, the best I can get is Target, and I'm not a fan of that process.

I hope this helps.

However you choose to use your points, enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter