• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

using a DEBIT card to pay for souveners & food at WDW?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
Can you use a DEBIT card, linked to your bank checking account, to pay for items and food at WDW ?

The DEBIT card has the VISA logo on it - but when used requires a signature, no pin #, and the amount is deducted from the checking account associated with the DEBIT card.

What do you think...does WDW accept them as a form of payment ?

Thanks!

As long as the debit card has a visa or mastercard logo on it, it should be good to go. Don't all bank debit cards now carry a visa/mc logo on them?

Can you use a DEBIT card, linked to your bank checking account, to pay for items and food at WDW ?

The DEBIT card has the VISA logo on it - but when used requires a signature, no pin #, and the amount is deducted from the checking account associated with the DEBIT card.

What do you think...does WDW accept them as a form of payment ?

Thanks!

I use my BofA debit card all the time!

Is the VISA logo a guarantee payment for the vendor ?

But there is no VISA card associated with our bank checking account.

Debit cards are the most common method of payment within the UK, as opposed to a credit card.... It's what we use when abroad, including within the states and we've never had a problem :)

I asked this exact question on the UK Planning board a few months ago and everyone said there wouldn't be a problem using a Debit card, providing it is VISA/Mastercard accredited!

Perhaps the USA has a different system, but here, Debit cards are as secure if not more so than a Credit card as the money needs to be in the account before you can process payment - it's immediate, so the vendor is guaranteeed payment. I can't see it being any different at WDW :confused:

Hollie x

Is the VISA logo a guarantee payment for the vendor ?

But there is no VISA card associated with our bank checking account.

There isn't with mine either. I don't have any credit cards. Period. That's just how we roll. But our bank debit card ,connected to our checking account, has a master card logo on them.

You will be fine.

The card is serviced through the Visa network to your bank account, to allow merchants to run it just like a regular Visa card.

The only major difference is that the "credit limit" is not set by Visa but rather by the amount of money available in your checking account.

When using it at WDW, as well as most other places since the credit card regulations changes of the last few years, you will not be required to sign if your purchase is less than $25. (Some areas even have a $50 transaction limit before requiring a signature; not sure if WDW is in one of these or not as I haven't used my Visa debit card there in a long time for more than about $10 a hit.)

They will not run them as debit cards (which would require the PIN) but rather as a Visa card.

The purchases you make are covered under the applicable Visa cardholder agreement policies.

Be aware that authorizations (transactions) run on your account may not finalize for a day or two, so be sure to write them down/keep receipts so you can keep your balance correct.

We are doing a $500 limit for 3 days - all CS meals

For what it's worth no matter if it's a debit card or credit card it runs through the system as a credit so even if you wanted to enter your PIN you can't. As long as the card has a visa amex discover mastercard or jcb logo on it you are good to go.

Of course! That's all we ever use (including in the parks). We don't have credit cards, so we'd have to carry a boatload of cash if they didn't take debit cards, no thanks! :lmao:

I've always used my debit card, which has the visa logo... the only thing I may suggest: on one trip, my card was declined... when I got a hold of my credit union, they saw my purchases as "suspicious activity"... not sure why... I was at Disneyland, my first trip to California, so they could have thought it was stolen? Also, I don't remember doing this, but another time (not on vacation) my card was declined because apparently when I got the debit card I chose to only be able to spend "x" amt of money on it per day... safety measure. I was going to school and just paid the tuition and had to get books... ugh....

So, you may want to call your financial institution and just let them know your plans and also see if you have a daily cap... could save you some headache later...

Have a fun trip!!!

As far as Disney is concerned, all accepted cards are treated as credit, even if they are debit. There is no way to enter a PIN, and change is not given. Basically the cards that are accepted (debit or credit) have to have logo from Discover, Japan Central Bank, MasterCard or Visa on the card.

Thank you for all the advice.
We will get a checking account associated with the Debit card with the VISA logo.
We will ask the bank about amount limits per day.
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter