Using a cane

meeko66

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going to DL in September (YEAH!!!) He occasionally uses a cane. He would like to know what he needs to do with it when he goes on rides. Does anyone know? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

My cane "collapses", so that helps a bunch - I typically pop it into my backpack for rides! (I also use my personal ECV, but need my cane for walking/standing when I am not on the ECV)

If you can't take the cane on the ride for some reason, a CM can take it for you, and put it with the other mobility devices at the unload area at the end of the ride.

Just as an FYI - if your hubby has trouble walking for long distances, he might want to consider using an ECV for part or all of the day. It's very easy to rack up the miles walking at any of the WDW parks; it would be sad if he overdid things the first day or so, and then couldn't really enjoy the rest of the trip! Wheelchairs are often the first thing people think of for a temporary use, but unless he is used to using one away from WDW, he may find that it actually tires him more than expected! And, if you push, you may find yourself exhausted early in the day as well!

If he decides to try one, just remind him that an ECV is a *tool* he can use to enjoy the trip. Some folks park the ECV in a central area, walk around that area, then use the ECV to move to another area of the park. Others find that it helps their stamina enough that they can go much further, and stay in the parks much longer, and so they use it more extensively. I use mine because I have multiple health issues that would prohibit me from getting much further than the flagpole in the middle of Main Street without it (and I would probably be crawling on my hands and knees by the time I got that far.)

Whatever he decides, I hope you have a Magical trip! :)

1) I frequently use a wooden cane.
2) The CM's will take the cane and have it ready for you at the ride exit.

I use a non collapsable cane in the parks. I can take it on many of the rides with me. But for rides like the coasters, I just hand it over to the CM at the boarding area, who ensures it is waiting for me at the off load area.

Pretty much the only rides where you don't take the cane with you are coasters. I remember the first time I rode Space Mountain when I was using crutches, instead of asking the CM, "Where do I put my crutches?" I phrased it as, "Is there someplace I can put my crutches?" He deadpanned, "No, you just take them with you. They'll fly out and land at the bottom and you can just pick them up there." Then he laughed and said, "No, I'll take them for you."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter