• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Useing water flavor packet at TS restraunt

I lived in Florida for 25 years, and the water is not vile tasting. If you want to use that as an excuse to drink free water enhanced with your own flavoring kit instead of ordering a drink at a sit-down restaurant, have at it. But it's an excuse, not a reason.

EXCUSE ME??!! Where exactly did I say I did this instead of ordering a drink??
If you read my posts, you would have seen that I stated quite clearly that we usually ordered both a hot and cold beverage IN ADDITION to the glass of water provided at the table.

And IN MY OPINION the water at WDW (which is in Florida) CAN taste absolutely awful. I come from a place with wonderful drinking water, so when I drink water that tastes unpleasant, I look for a way to make it palatable. This is a REASON, not an excuse. There have been long and frequent threads on the various forums that totally revolve around finding ways of improving the taste of the local water and not resorting to importing bottled water. You have lived in Florida for 25 years? Perhaps it is a matter of becoming inured to something (akin to living with smog?)

Believe it or not there are people other than diabetics who can only drink water and milk. Me for instance. I have a bladder condition which does not allow me to drink Any carbonated beverages, or drinks with acid such as lemonade or OJ. That leaves me milk or water. Plain water gets very boring. I bring and add the flavor packets--my personal favorite is Fruit Punch. A glass of water in a restaurant is free. I would be getting water no matter what as it is my only choice other than milk which I can't stand for any other meal other than breakfast. If you can add the flavoring and stir it without making a mess, more power to you. I will. :cool1:

EXCUSE ME??!! Where exactly did I say I did this instead of ordering a drink??
If you read my posts, you would have seen that I stated quite clearly that we usually ordered both a hot and cold beverage IN ADDITION to the glass of water provided at the table.

And IN MY OPINION the water at WDW (which is in Florida) CAN taste absolutely awful. I come from a place with wonderful drinking water, so when I drink water that tastes unpleasant, I look for a way to make it palatable. This is a REASON, not an excuse. There have been long and frequent threads on the various forums that totally revolve around finding ways of improving the taste of the local water and not resorting to importing bottled water. You have lived in Florida for 25 years? Perhaps it is a matter of becoming inured to something (akin to living with smog?)

I don't have to read and memorize the sum total of someone's posts in order to reply. I was responding to your last post, and I quoted it in my post. The issue, which you have lost track of, is adding flavoring to free water instead of ordering a drink at a table service restaurant. You don't do that, I don't either. So we agree. Hooray!

:banana:

I don't have to read and memorize the sum total of someone's posts in order to reply. I was responding to your last post, and I quoted it in my post. The issue, which you have lost track of, is adding flavoring to free water instead of ordering a drink at a table service restaurant. You don't do that, I don't either. So we agree. Hooray!

:banana:

Sorry, but no we don't. The OP simply asked about adding flavouring to water. There was no mention of whether or not a drink had also been ordered.
I have absolutely no problem with anyone adding anything (legal) to their water at a TS restaurant as long as they plan on ordering something from the menu.

I am a water drinker, that is what I drink 90% of the time in my real life and I do not find the Florida water to be bad tasting. Since we usually purchase the dining plan which entitles us to a drink with the meal,I usually prefer to get tea at the end of the meal.

However, I do think it's wrong to use a flavor packet at a table service restaurant. It is a way for them to make money, and as it's wrong to take out a bottle of soda/water etc., you are not supposed to bring your own salad, appetizer or side dishes, it would be wrong to use a flavor packet for your drink to get out of ordering a drink. You are not supposed to bring outside food and you know that going in.

If one is diabetic and non of the options the restaurant holds is safe for you to drink, then that is a different story. I do think that if you are at a counter service, there shouldn't be restrictions on you using a flavor packet.

Yes. If you want it, use it. There is nothing poor in etiquette about it.

The people on this board will pick anything apart. If you are concerned about it, just ask as you are checking in or being seated it is an issue. I bet 100% of the restaurants say no.

NO offense to FL natives. But the sulfur content in your water supply tastes TERRIBLE to those not used to it. I am from Ohio and can't stand it. No one I know in the midwest that travels to FL drinks the water. My hubby can even taste it in pop from the fountain if the sulfur is really high.

That being said, we ALWAYS use the flavor packets. We drink water all day at the parks and use these to make it tolerable.

We use Dining Plan. So, my drink is paid. But I always order a water and a diet coke when I first sit down as I need to hydrate. You need h20 to process protein, and in high temps, you are prolly running low on water already. I dump in a flavor packet.

Does that make me tacky? Don't care.

Well I just got back from Disney and after a few days I figured out the water was making me sick.

At a few restraunts (sit down) I ordered bottled water, but at the end I just brought my own nestea (we had some from our grocery stop). I told them, sorry, just bring me a glass of ice and some lemon because I cant drink the water here. They said sure. ALL the places said no problem,

I know I did it at Hollywood Brown Derby, Crystal Palace and Captains Grill and probably some others.

I actually never even considered this, but don't think it's a bad idea. Do what u want. It does not matter what anyone's opinion is on this board. If it's not illegal, go for it.

I would and I do. I watch my diet very carefully - kind of hard to do at Disney, but I don't completely throw my healthy eating habits out the window even when I'm on vacation. Therefore, I don't drink tea. I definitely do not drink soft drinks. I do drink coffee occasionally, but only with breakfast (and I bring my own sweetener to put in it, too). The only thing I EVER drink - at restaurants and at home - is water. And thanks to a report I saw on the news a couple of years ago, I will never put lemon slices provided by restaurants into my drink again.

So when I get tired of drinking "plain" water, I add a packet of True Lemon (or True Orange or True Lime) to it. If you don't like it, I guess my only suggestion is to avert your eyes so you don't watch me commit the ultimate restaurant crime. :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think there are that many people willing to pay for a TS meal that are too cheap to also pay for a beverage?

Yes, there are and the fact that the DIS has had to ban discussion of t.i.p.s. is proof enough.

We aren't talking about ordering a water than asking for lemons and sweetener and making your own lemonade j/k.

Table service restaurants should offer decent tasting drinking water to their patrons, sometimes wdw does not, so I see nothing wrong with making it drinkable. There are a variety of reasons why someone might not want to order a bottled or chemical filled beverage. As long as you aren't cheap on the tip, and your whole family isn't splitting one appetizer for your meal j/k, the server should be glad to have a contented customer.

For those who have no clue there is a problem with Orlando water, have you opened your nose in the shower? BTW it is an Orlando area problem not a Florida problem. Have never had the issue in South Florida.

We don't like the taste of the water either so we just order bottled water with our meal. All restaurants have bottled water on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter