Use year questions

Stalfos

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,
I just made an offer for a DVC membership and am in the process of buying. I am purchasing 160 points and the account has 160 banked from Dec 2014 and will have 160 from this December so when I close in January, I will have 320 in there. My question is how it will work out for our trips. I plan on going every two years or so and we usually go in September for MNSSHP and food and wine. We are planning a trip in Sept. 2016 to use the points and will not be going back until September 2018 or so.
Does that mean I need to bank the 160 points coming on December 2016 and they wont be able to be used until after December 2017? Since we usually head there in September, is it better to buy a use year between January-August so that we are able to borrow/bank and it will align better?
I am still a bit confused on banking and borrowing but that is how I understand it, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Do you ever cancel or change you plans close to the date of travel? A December use year is terrible for September trips. If you ever have to cancel, you will probably be past your banking deadline and only have two months to use your points without losing them. But if you never change your plans, then it will be okay.

A December use year can be confusing because 11 months are in a year that doesn't match the date. But, based on your description, you seem to have a great understanding of banking.

I plan the trip about a year out and always go with the dining plan so I make my reservations exactly at 180 days out. In nine trips we have taken, they are set in stone and we have never changed them. Somehow I am still worried about the timing though and am now realizing December use year is terrible for Sept. trips

Depends upon your vacationing habits but I would wait to bank those points until closer to the deadline just in case you find need for them.

ANd if I understand correctly, I cant borrow points for next year until my use year which is December correct? For example, if I am going in September and I am 20 points short, I cant borrow next years points until December is that right?

ANd if I understand correctly, I cant borrow points for next year until my use year which is December correct? For example, if I am going in September and I am 20 points short, I cant borrow next years points until December is that right?
If you're planning to visit during Food & Wine, then you need to book at 11 months out, not just 180 days. Use year determines when points are used, not when you can book with them. So, if a trip falls in your 2017 use year, you can borrow from 2018, even though you may currently be in your 2016 year when you make the reservation.

Im sorry supersnoop, I am a bit confused. I apologize. So I dont have to wait until december (my use year) to borrow points from next year?

True. It's dependent upon the time of the reservation not the time the reservation is made.

Im sorry supersnoop, I am a bit confused. I apologize. So I dont have to wait until december (my use year) to borrow points from next year?

right. use year has nothing to do with when you can call to book.

i have an oct UY and like to travel in november. i can call in december 2015 to book november 2016 at my home resort (11 months out) even if all i have available are borrowed oct 2017 points.

OP, IMHO, get yourself a spreadsheet together that makes since to you, put in the points for the UYs, trips you are planning for, and "see" which UY the trips fall into.
As PP stated it is not when you book that the points have to be available it is when you take the trip.

Depends what you mean by "next year." You can always borrow from one use year ahead, based on the use year of the reservation.

With a Dec UY, forget about calendar years. You have a whole new calendar to deal with starting on Dec 1 and ending on Nov 30. More like a fiscal year, than calendar year.

What points are available for use depends on the date of your scheduled stay. A Sept 2016 stay using a Dec UY is in the 2015 UY so those would be the current year points. So, you can use banked 2014 points, the current 2015 points or borrow 2016 points and could make the call to book the stay at your home resort in Oct of 2015. As another example, if you were wanting to book a stay for Dec 2016 instead then you could call in January 2016 and could use any banked 2015 points, any current 2016 points or borrow 2017 points.

July 31st is the banking deadline for a Dec UY which is what limits the options if you had a last minute cancellation of a Sept reservation with the Dec UY because you would be past the banking deadline and under the gun, so to speak, to use the points prior to their expiration on Nov 30th. But it doesn't affect when you call to book at all which is only dependent on the 11 month and 7 month windows and you always have access up to 3 years of points if you have any left. It's the date of your stay determines which 3 years points can be used. If you never cancel then the UY won't matter at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter