• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Use Year -- How is it determined?

PantherFanStan

Mouseketeer
Been lurking for a few weeks while we decide whether or not to buy SSR. Did the tour while on business a few weeks ago. Will take the family for a look at the rooms during our stay next week.

My question...
What determines one's use year? Do you get to choose? Is it the month in which buy? Or are they sold in order?

Thanks.....

Hi, PantherFanStan. First, my condolences on the game last Sunday. (I'm a big Pats fan) ;)

Second, WELCOME to The DIS Boards!

Now, to answer your Q...
We bought DVC in February of '02, and got a September use year. We took what they gave us, but from what I read you can request a specific use year.
I am not sure if they always sell use years 1/2 a year away, or if that is just the way it worked for us.

Good luck.... :cool:

MG

There are 8 use years available. One can usually talk them into the one you want. They usually are actively selling the ones that allow you to bank the 100% if you want which means usually the ones with 7-8 months before the end of the use year. If you could get a Dec or Feb, you would have the points a little longer and in effect have more value for the points than a later use year. Usually if you say you will only buy if you get X use year, they will find it. The only exception might be for Dec, 2003 since they had so much more interest in that option.

Thanks Dean....but now I'm a little more confused. There are only 8 use years? I thought there would be one for each month...12.

Maistre Gracey... Great game......wrong outcome! ;)

Thanks for your response also.

We never could figure it out. We visited in Jan. of 98, decided to buy, completed the transaction in Feb. and we have a December use year at OKW.

BTW, this is the first December that we'll actually be going in December.

Originally posted by PantherFanStan
Thanks Dean....but now I'm a little more confused. There are only 8 use years? I thought there would be one for each month...12.
I know, it is wierd to me that there are 8. I would have assumed them all to be the same, 1 Jan, or at least one a quarter spreak evenly. There are no use years for Jan, May, July or Nov. My guess for the reason they start in Feb and not Jan is related when the resort was expected to open.

Originally posted by Baileymouse
We never could figure it out. We visited in Jan. of 98, decided to buy, completed the transaction in Feb. and we have a December use year at OKW.
We also visited in January, completed the transaction in February, and we were given an August use year (at VWL). My guess is that they just sell the use years in a particular order until they're sold out. We never really thought about use year.

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
We also visited in January, completed the transaction in February, and we were given an August use year (at VWL). My guess is that they just sell the use years in a particular order until they're sold out. We never really thought about use year.
They sell a use year for a while but try not to be close to selling it out before moving to the next one. They want them all available in case someone wants to add on or insists on a specific use year.

Hi, I just joined last week and my guide asked when we would be visiting the most. We went back and forth and she gave me what she thought would be the best one for us. She called back about ten minutes later and said she had been thinking and said August would actually work better for us. So with my experience, they worked pretty hard to get us a use year that would work best for our particular vacation needs.

So am I right in assuming that the best use year to request would be the month before you would like to use DVC the most. For instance, if you travel during July the most you would want to have a June use year? I'm a little confused...

So am I right in assuming that the best use year to request would be the month before you would like to use DVC the most.
Yes, that would be a good strategy. It replenishes your points in time for your trip, and gives you lots of other months in which to use those points if you unexpectedly cancel a trip. Other people on this board might be able to suggest other strategies as well.

That's what most people say-that a use year shortly before when you usually vacation works out best. However, as I said, we have an August use year and we usually vacation in spring or early summer (also, I've been lucky enough to sneak in a couple solo Christmas time trips). None of those would seem to make an August use year good. But we've never had any problem-use year's never been an issue.

I asked for an August UY at BCV and got one. My addon was automatically given the same use year.

I agree with what everyone has said, but the real reason you want to time your use year to your preferred vacation months is for banking purposes, not for point renewal because you can always borrow anyway. However, if you have an April use year and most vacations will be done in July, if in one year you have to cancel your July vacation, you will still be able to bank your points. If you had an August use year, then had to cancel your July vacation, you would not be able to bank any points.

We bought in March and got a March use year, so I assumed it was an "anniversary" date. It took me a good while on these Boards to realize that use years are NOT assigned to the month you made your first purchase...

March works well for us because we travel in the Spring. I get a pile of points, blow most of them immediately, and fret over the leftovers for the rest of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter