Use Points for Cruise or Sell?

wtg03

In Love with a Mouse!!!
We are looking at taking a Disney cruise next year. I own at BCV and I'm thinking about selling the points to partially fund the cruise. Is that the least expensive way to pay for the cruise or do you find you get more value by using your points?

If I was to sell the points what's a fair price? I've seen anywhere from $9.00 to $13.50. It seems like points are selling fairly well but I don't want to price mine out of the market.

Also, if you sell your points when do you typically request payment?

::MickeyMo Thanks for any help! ::MickeyMo

If you book early, you will be far better renting out your points than using them for the cruise. It will likely be financially better but even if not, there are so many disadvantages to using points that I think it's far better and safer to rent the points than take a chance on the cruise with points. Here are the reasons why:
  • If you do a combo of cash and points, you must pay the entire thing up front.
  • You can only book 11 months out with points and the best cabins may be gone, especially the secret porthole ones.
  • And the cash rates through DCL are higher than those directly so you're paying even more.
  • If there are any specials or promotions, you cannot get them.
  • If the price goes down, your's does not unless they reduce the points or fees through MS.
  • If you make even a minor change, another $75 fee.
  • If you have to cancel, you don't get your ponts back as DVC points but as reservations points that can't be used at DVC and expire at the end of your use year.
Of course you could always book as soon as it's available cash and then reevaluate later on to see what might work. As a rule, you'll get a return of about $5-6.50 per point, maybe less if you're a FL resident.

rent em............cruise prices always fall close tot he sail date........we are going on a cruise next week that we just bought 2 weeks ago.........saved over 3K

I rented ours for many of the reasons Dean listed.

We are going on the Member Cruise in Sept 2005 and we paid cash and rented our points. There were just too many what-ifs to use points for our situation and I didnt want to tie up that many points in a reservation point status if we were to cancel.

DCL cruises are already booking for 2006. Because of all the repositioning cruises this year, many people will not have the opportunity to cruise in 2005 so they are definitely planning on it in 2006.

Im in the process of booking for next Sept and the Secret Porthole rooms were already booked, so I think if you are looking to book DCL and have a particular stateroom or deck in mind, I would start looking. Sept is Hurricane season, but they are offering some excellent rates and special itineraries that include 2 visits to Castaway Cay. We will definitely get the insurance and are very excited.

As far as your terms for renting points and due dates for deposit and final payment, I found a standard rental contract online (someone posted a link here) and revised it to my comfort level. I requested 1/2 down upon receipt of confirmation and the other half was due 45 days prior to checkin. Some require less time and some require more so its up to you.

HTH!

we are cruising for thanksgiving 05. We rented out our points at $10 per point. The cruise thru ms using points for a cat 10 was going to be 815 points for 2 adults and 2 children. Thru du we ended up paying $4200. This was a great savings. we rented our 300 points for $3000. We can't wait for our cruise, the thanksgiving cruise goes to cc twice due to the regatta in key west.

I know many do rent out their points to pay cash for their cruises. I just booked another DCL 4 day cruise, but I use my DVC points and book through MS as I have done in the past. We are so busy and out straight all the time with jobs, family, etc., that I just don't have the time to put into renting them out. It was just hard enough getting the time to make the single phone call to MS to book, lol.

But, I know many do save $$ by doing this. Good luck!!

carol............it takes no time..........i just rented 705 points on wed this week...........i spent less than 20 minutes doing it.......just use paypal and emails ..........it really is simple

What is this "secret porthole room" everyone is refering to? (or is it too secret to say?)

bongo59 said:
rent em............cruise prices always fall close tot he sail date........we are going on a cruise next week that we just bought 2 weeks ago.........saved over 3K

Is that a Disney cruise?

JPC said:

I wanted to know the same thing! Normally Disney cruises increase in price the closer to sail date.

UCONNJACK, the SPH rooms are obstructed view Category 10 staterooms. You pay Cat 10 price but these rooms actually have a porthole. It's basically like paying for standard view but getting a partial Boardwalk view.

There are only 6-8 of these cabins available and they are normally the first to go, because you can save a couple hundred dollars and still get natural sunlight.

Ive not had luck getting these rooms at all!

UConnJack said:
What is this "secret porthole room" everyone is refering to? (or is it too secret to say?)

Now that you know, you must be sworn to secrecy. From here on, you say: What secret porthole? There's no such thing!" ;)

LIFERBABE said:
I wanted to know the same thing! Normally Disney cruises increase in price the closer to sail date.

UCONNJACK, the SPH rooms are obstructed view Category 10 staterooms. You pay Cat 10 price but these rooms actually have a porthole. It's basically like paying for standard view but getting a partial Boardwalk view.

There are only 6-8 of these cabins available and they are normally the first to go, because you can save a couple hundred dollars and still get natural sunlight.

Ive not had luck getting these rooms at all!

Sounds like these might be some great rooms! Which room numbers do I look for?

Thanks for all the information so far!

Lastly, what is a fair price to ask for the points?

I book my cruises fairly close to sail dates, in this case I booked in January for a June cruise. Disney Cruise Line books in tiers, so early booking savings are realized as far in advance as possible. As they book the ships, the prices rise. I can assure you that you will not find any bargain prices close to sail dates on DCL. Using points, however, means you pay the same number of points no matter how close to cruise date you are booking.

Now, other cruise lines are a different story...

Good Point, CarolAnnC -- For last minute bookings, it probably would be beneficial to use points. That is, if you're lucky enough to even find a cabin to book!

CarolAnnC said:
I book my cruises fairly close to sail dates, in this case I booked in January for a June cruise. Disney Cruise Line books in tiers, so early booking savings are realized as far in advance as possible. As they book the ships, the prices rise. I can assure you that you will not find any bargain prices close to sail dates on DCL. Using points, however, means you pay the same number of points no matter how close to cruise date you are booking.

Now, other cruise lines are a different story...
Other than specials like FL resident rates.

FL Resident Rates are offered in advance as well, not as last minute cruising specials. And we all know that DVC Members are not considered FL Residents, lol.

CarolAnnC said:
FL Resident Rates are offered in advance as well, not as last minute cruising specials. And we all know that DVC Members are not considered FL Residents, lol.
I'm sure others have far more experience in this area than I but my understanding was the higher demand times are usually 2-3 months out but lower demand times are sooner but not more than a few months. I know this was true of our Spring Break Cruise this past year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter