• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Use hotel shuttle or park at port?

quiltymom

DIS Veteran
I've read through Shirley's thread on the hotels that offer/do not offer shuttle service to the port with an overnight stay, but I'm still undecided about what to do (our cruise is in mid-Oct.). The last thing I'd want to do is to sit around waiting to get onto a shuttle. So, here are my questions:
  1. Which hotel would you recommend? All my kids would care about is that there is a pool. We don't care how fancy the rooms are, and would most likely prefer something more economical than not.
  2. We're going to Kennedy Space Center directly after we disembark. Does it take forever to get on a shuttle back to the hotel after a cruise? Or would it make sense to park at the port?
Thanks!

I've read through Shirley's thread on the hotels that offer/do not offer shuttle service to the port with an overnight stay, but I'm still undecided about what to do (our cruise is in mid-Oct.). The last thing I'd want to do is to sit around waiting to get onto a shuttle. So, here are my questions:
  1. Which hotel would you recommend? All my kids would care about is that there is a pool. We don't care how fancy the rooms are, and would most likely prefer something more economical than not.
  2. We're going to Kennedy Space Center directly after we disembark. Does it take forever to get on a shuttle back to the hotel after a cruise? Or would it make sense to park at the port?
Thanks!

I would recommend staying at and leaving your car at Radisson Resort at the Port. They have a regularly-running shuttle service to/from the DCL terminal, and the waits are typically not that long. On debark day, just take the shuttle back to Radisson, get your car, and hit the space center. One thing that may help you make up your mind on whether or not to park at the port: Canaveral Port Authority charges $15 per day to park at the terminal.

I all depends on what's important to you. We stayed at a hotel close to the Holiday Inn... I can't remember which one... We decided to park at the port for a couple of reasons. We could arrive at the port when we wanted - which meant we could get there when it opened - which we did. We parked on the first row and had a short walk to the terminal. I don't know when the hotel shuttles begin to run. We also liked the luxury of not having to wait for a shuttle when we returned from the cruise. Again it was a short walk to the van with our luggage and off we went. No lines. No waiting. No hassle.

- Ken

We stayed at Country Inn and Suites- it was important to us to be there when the terminal opened- I can't remember exactly what time, it was 2 years ago. But my husband dropped me and the kids off at the terminal with our luggage about 20 minutes before it opened. Then he drove back to the hotel and waited for the first shuttle. I had his passport so I was able to go check us in once the terminal opened and he was able to join us using his driver's license. Then after the cruise, we waited while he took the shuttle back to the hotel ( it was easy to get a spot on a shuttle for just one person without luggage) and then he came to get us. Like I said, it was 2 years ago, but I assume it would still work that way.

This worked very well for us- it saved us the money of parking at the port and we got to be at the terminal early. I'm sure it would be a bit more convenient just to park at the port, but I liked the idea of using that extra money for more souvenirs!

We parked on the first row and had a short walk to the terminal. I don't know when the hotel shuttles begin to run. Again it was a short walk to the van with our luggage and off we went. No lines. No waiting. No hassle. - Ken

There is currently a lot of construction around the DCL terminal in preparation for the new ships, and the parking areas are not in their usual way. Some parking spots are a bit of a walk away from the terminal, and it will be that way for quite awhile. Just wanted to throw that in. Don't know when you are sailing...

We have stayed at the Quality Suites and the Radisson when we had a car (they are sister hotels, you use the Radisson lot). We had no problem with waiting for the shuttle (they were running 2 shuttles on our return). The driver took us all the way to our car which was in their "back" lot. The Carnival people got off at the hotel entrance--not sure why.

On the way to port, we left 10 minutes early because everyone was there and luggage was loaded.

I'd recommend them highly. I know that Brucechase had a problem with waiting for a shuttle on the May 30 sailing, and don't know if that was an anomaly or not.

The Quality was clean and neat, right on the beach. There is a pool and hot tub, but they're nothing to write home about. With kids, I'd probably do the Radisson which is closer and has a better pool...but isn't on the beach.

If you happen to be one of those who gets a "full" shuttle, have your driver get on. He can ride to the hotel, claim the car, and come back to get the rest of the crew in the same time it would take the next shuttle to get there!

We went on our first Disney cruise in June. I had the same concerns as you. I wanted to be out of there right away to do other things that day and didn't want to be waiting around for a shuttle. We parked at the port and will do it again next time we go. It is $15 a night but for $60 (4 night cruise) to me its worth it. I clocked 11 minutes from the time we left breakfast to the time we drove out of the parking lot. No waiting!

I have a reservation at the Quality Suites for the night before our cruise. I asked the lady at the reservation desk if I needed to reserve a spot on a shuttle. (There are 8 of us, so a bigger # of seats) She said you have to reserve your spot on the shuttle when you check?? That means we have to check in early, and we are driving. We were not planning on arriving until evening. Does this information seem accurate based on your experiences??? I assumed you could reserve the shuttle over the phone like a room. THanks in advance

I have a reservation at the Quality Suites for the night before our cruise. I asked the lady at the reservation desk if I needed to reserve a spot on a shuttle. (There are 8 of us, so a bigger # of seats) She said you have to reserve your spot on the shuttle when you check?? That means we have to check in early, and we are driving. We were not planning on arriving until evening. Does this information seem accurate based on your experiences??? I assumed you could reserve the shuttle over the phone like a room. THanks in advance

Yeah, they told me that story too.....I whined a little and said that we'd be arriving late at night, etc. She had me call the day before and reserve the shuttle which put us on the 11:00 shuttle. The other trick that works is to call the Radisson directly (you'll be using the Radisson shuttle) and get on their list. You can reserve there months ahead. Then when you get to the Quality, just have them verify your reservation at the Radisson.

On the way back, we waited less than 10 minutes for a shuttle to pick us up and he took us all the way to our car (there is a "back lot" for cruise parking).

THe final thought...since you have to drive from the Quality to the Radisson anyhow (you park at the Radisson lot), it's easy for the driver to take the whole gang over to the terminal and then return to the Radisson and park....easier to get a one person shuttle spot than 8 if you want an early time.

The breakfast at the Quality Suites was "just OK," nothing special, but adequate. I've had a lot of better hotel breakfasts, but it's hard to fault it when it's free. Besides, you'll be having lunch on the ship.

We did this 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Country Inn & Suites. We arrived early Friday (9am). They let us check in early and the kids spent the day at the pool. (There's also a hot tub and kiddie pool area.) They had a nice continental breakfast.

The morning of the cruise, my husband dropped the kids and I off at the port with the luggage. Then he went back, parked the car at the hotel and took the shuttle. He has his drivers license with him, but I had his passport so I could check us in before he returned.

At the end of the cruise, we called the phone number (listed on the shuttle ticket they give you) and the shuttle was there in 6 minutes to get us! We will definitely use this hotel again for our next cruise!

I paid about $140 (before tax) for the hotel, including the shuttle and parking for the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter