Use CAUTION when Reassigning Halloween and Christmas Party Tickets

ScrapYap

DIS Veteran
Disneysplaining Halloween or Christmas Party Ticket Reassignment

If you're thinking about reassigning party tickets that appear on your MDE, make sure you understand the way the MDE system works before proceeding. Maybe you already do understand, in which case ... proceed. :)

Disney party tickets are not like football game tickets or concert tickets. They aren't a physical thing.

The party ticket isn't "on" the plastic card.

The physical card that you receive isn't the party ticket. It's just a plastic card that acts as a conduit to access the party "entitlement" (in Disneyspeak). You can move the party entitlement off the plastic card by reassigning. But you can't reassign the plastic card. That always stays on the profile of the original guest that the party ticket was assigned to on an MDE. That card is nontransferable. The party entitlement, however, is reassignable.

The party ticket is a sort of metaphysical idea or concept that exists as a disembodied entitlement. It starts out life born onto a plastic card. But it doesn't have to stay there. Until the ticket entitlement is used to enter the MK, you will see the option to reassign it on the Reservations and Tickets page of your MDE. (You will not see this option if the person with the entitlement has their own MDE - only that person will then see the reassign option.) Until someone enters the park with that entitlement, it can be transferred to someone else - as many times as you like. There will only ever be one park entrance possible. But you can play hot potato with the entitlement, bouncing it from one guest to another on your MDE until someone actually uses it. Not that you would have any reason to bounce it around. The point once again is that the ticket entitlement can be transferred. But cards cannot be transferred. MBs and cards marry the guest for life. Once a card is linked to an individual, it is stuck there.

When you buy party tickets on the Disney website, you're offered the choice of a print-at-home voucher/confirmation or you can have the plastic tickets mailed to you. (It doesn't matter too much which method you choose.) When you place the order for the tickets, you are required by the website to identify which of your friends and family members will be using the party tickets. When you receive the cards, either in the mail or at the will call/guest services window,each plastic card has been preassigned to one of the guests you designated. At the will call window, the CM will probably write the name of each guest on the back of his/her card. But if you get them in the mail, the only way to tell which card has been assigned to which guest in your group is to go to the Magic Bands and Cards page of your MDE and match the numbers shown with the numbers on the back of the cards in your hand. You can then write the name of the appropriate guest on each card with a Sharpie. Though you could still enter the parks if you've accidentally swapped the cards around among your group members. Biometrics are not used on party nights.

If the party tickets are going to be used by the guests you preassigned at purchase, then you're all set. The guests can use those plastic tickets to enter the parks. It's always a good idea to stop by Guest Services to make sure the various tickets on the guests' profiles are prioritized -- so you won't lose a park hopper day when entering after 4:00 p.m. for a party. The Halloween party ticket "knows" about everything on your MDE. It knows all the other tickets you have. So do any of the cards and bands that appear on the Magic Bands and Cards page of your individual MDE profile. They are all clones.

If you know someone who would like to reassign their party entitlement to you, they can do that on their MDE (as long as your MDEs are friends). Once your friend has reassigned the ticket to you, you will see that ticket entitlement on the Reservations and Tickets page of your MDE. However, they will still see the plastic card that once "held" the ticket on their own MDE. So you would then use one of your own MBs or cards (annual pass or any other RFID card linked to your personal profile) to access the entitlement and enter the MK for the party, not the plastic card the ticket was initially linked to. If you tried to enter the party with your friend's original plastic card, you would not get in. The entitlement is no longer on that card. No one can get in with that card.

It's easiest to reassign a party ticket to a profile that has a way of accessing the entitlement -- in other words, to a profile which already has an MB or card on their MDE. If you want to reassign to someone without an MB or card, visit guest services and tell them that you've reassigned the entitlement, but the new owner of the party ticket has no ticket media. The new guest will probably have to show ID to get a new plastic card which will be linked to their own MDE (and therefore to the party entitlement which now resides there).

If you're picking up the tickets with a voucher and would like to reassign, tell the CM at guest services that the guests for whom you bought the tickets won't be using them. You're giving them to other friends. If you don't do that, you'll be given plastic cards that are linked to the people for whom you bought the tickets on your MDE.

Reassigning the party ticket entitlement is allowed, and it's easy to do. Just remember that the plastic card itself is nontransferable! Guests who get confused about this might end up wasting the first 45 minutes of their MK arrival at guest services straightening it out. Those are people who don't read the DISboards!

Last edited:
Last year when I bought Christmas party tickets, I got the plastic cards. They were not designated with a name. Do they have names on them now?

Last year when I bought Christmas party tickets, I got the plastic cards. They were not designated with a name. Do they have names on them now?

Did you buy the party tickets at the park? If so, they have not been linked to anyone. Tickets bought at the parks won't have this reassigning issue -- but most people buy in advance online.

But if you bought the tickets on disneyworld.com, sign onto your MDE and look on the Magic Bands and Cards page. You should see the Christmas party tickets there. Do you still have those plastic cards?

Just got our Halloween cards in the mail. Have no name on them. I had to go into MDE and seen what number was assigned to each person and write their names on the back of the card. Having names on them would be a whole lot easier if you can't transfer the cards anyway......

Just got our Halloween cards in the mail. Have no name on them. I had to go into MDE and seen what number was assigned to each person and write their names on the back of the card. Having names on them would be a whole lot easier if you can't transfer the cards anyway......

That's a great idea!

That explains what I had mentioned on the other thread and was puzzled by. :thumbsup2

I couldn't understand why it was showing up on different places as belonging to 2 people - Cheryl on one page, the person I named as planning to use it, and Cher on another as having FP+ with it.

Both people are actually me but neither has a MB. I just have to re-read your post and figure out what I want to do now because I don't want to lose the FP+. I have time, my vacation isn't until the end of October.

:thanks:

I was told by a CM not to connect the tickets to MDE unless I knew for sure I was not going to transfer them.

That explains what I had mentioned on the other thread and was puzzled by. :thumbsup2

I couldn't understand why it was showing up on different places as belonging to 2 people - Cheryl on one page, the person I named as planning to use it, and Cher on another as having FP+ with it.

Both people are actually me but neither has a MB. I just have to re-read your post and figure out what I want to do now because I don't want to lose the FP+. I have time, my vacation isn't until the end of October.

:thanks:

Fingers crossed that you don't have to rebook those FP+. The version of you with the FP+ must be the one who actually has the entitlement.

Fingers crossed that you don't have to rebook those FP+. The version of you with the FP+ must be the one who actually has the entitlement.

Could be. There are actually 3 of me - Cheryl, Cher, and C on my MDE because I have 3 tickets (a 5 day PH, a 2 day PH and a MNSSHP ticket) and wanted to maximize my FP+ options. Only 1 of me will have a MB though. I'll look that over later tonight and see for sure. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me, I bet that makes it hard to type though ;) . I'll post and let you know what happens.

If you don't read the Dis it sounds like a mess but I've followed along on the other thread I feel like I have a good understanding of it all. It's been really helpful. :)

Reassigning the party ticket entitlement is allowed, and it's easy to do. Just remember that the plastic card itself is nontransferable! Guests who get confused about this might end up wasting the first 45 minutes of their MK arrival at guest services straightening it out. Those are people who don't read the DISboards!

Karrie....please let me know if I have this correct. I have 2 party tickets...the plastic kind that I assigned to my daughter and myself. We have magic bands etc. I reassigned the party tickets to a fake name...using our middle names and then booked fastpasses with them. So, right now in my MDE I have 6 fastpasses each for both of us...3 using the regular park ticket....we are going to MK that day anyway, and 3 using the party tickets. Will this work? Should we use the magic band to enter the park that evening...we will have already been to MK earlier but taking a hotel break in afternoon, or should we enter the park with the plastic party cards? I know when using fastpass, I will have to either use the magic band or the plastic card...depending on which one I booked the fast pass with.

Am I understanding correctly? Seems like the more I read, the more confused I get although I thought I had it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
no, I called and purchased them

Then those aren't linked to any individual and can be used by anyone. They can't be reassigned "off" that plastic card they arrived on (unless you linked them to an MDE profile). That's nice and easy -- anyone can take the plastic card and enter the party with it.

Did you buy the party tickets at the park? If so, they have not been linked to anyone. Tickets bought at the parks won't have this reassigning issue -- but most people buy in advance online.

But if you bought the tickets on disneyworld.com, sign onto your MDE and look on the Magic Bands and Cards page. You should see the Christmas party tickets there. Do you still have those plastic cards?

I called and ordered them and they sent me 2 "card" tickets. I guess mine were never linked to MDE at all.

I called and ordered them and they sent me 2 "card" tickets. I guess mine were never linked to MDE at all.

You're right. After you used them, your biometrics were loaded onto them. But that's all those cards "know." I wonder if your names were loaded onto them. Not sure about that. Though presumably you can't see them on your MDE since they weren't linked.

Disneysplaining Halloween or Christmas Party Ticket Reassignment

If you're thinking about reassigning party tickets that appear on your MDE, make sure you understand the way the MDE system works before proceeding. Maybe you already do understand, in which case ... proceed. :)

Disney party tickets are not like football game tickets or concert tickets. They aren't a physical thing.

The party ticket isn't "on" the plastic card.

The physical card that you receive isn't the party ticket. It's just a plastic card that acts as a conduit to access the party "entitlement" (in Disneyspeak). You can move the party entitlement off the plastic card by reassigning. But you can't reassign the plastic card. That always stays on the profile of the original guest that the party ticket was assigned to. That card is nontransferable. The party entitlement, however, is reassignable.

The party ticket is a sort of metaphysical idea or concept that exists as a disembodied entitlement. It starts out life born onto a plastic card. But it doesn't have to stay there. Until the ticket entitlement is used to enter the MK, you will see the option to reassign it on the Reservations and Tickets page of your MDE. (You will not see this option if the person with the entitlement has their own MDE - only that person will then see the reassign option.) Until someone enters the park with that entitlement, it can be transferred to someone else - as many times as you like. There will only ever be one park entrance possible. But you can play hot potato with the entitlement, bouncing it from one guest to another on your MDE until someone actually uses it. Not that you would have any reason to bounce it around. The point once again is that the ticket entitlement can be transferred. But cards cannot be transferred. MBs and cards marry the guest for life. Once a card is linked to an individual, it is stuck there.

When you buy party tickets on the Disney website, you're offered the choice of a print-at-home voucher/confirmation or you can have the plastic tickets mailed to you. (It doesn't matter too much which method you choose.) When you place the order for the tickets, you are required by the website to identify which of your friends and family members will be using the party tickets. When you receive the cards, either in the mail or at the will call/guest services window,each plastic card has been preassigned to one of the guests you designated. At the will call window, the CM will probably write the name of each guest on the back of his/her card. But if you get them in the mail, the only way to tell which card has been assigned to which guest in your group is to go to the Magic Bands and Cards page of your MDE and match the numbers shown with the numbers on the back of the cards in your hand. You can then write the name of the appropriate guest on each card with a Sharpie. You could enter the parks if you've accidentally swapped the cards around among your group members, but it's better to keep things straight. For instance, if Jim uses Joe's card to enter, then Jim's biometrics will be linked to that card. So in the future, that card is useless to both Joe and Jim. If Joe uses his own card to enter and gets his own biometrics linked to it, that card can be used if he has misplaced his AP or doesn't feel like wearing an MB.

If the party tickets are going to be used by the guests you preassigned at purchase, then you're all set. The guests can use those plastic tickets to enter the parks. It's always a good idea to stop by Guest Services to make sure the various tickets on the guests' profiles are prioritized -- so you won't lose a park hopper day when entering after 4:00 p.m. for a party. The Halloween party ticket "knows" about everything on your MDE. It knows all the other tickets you have. That party ticket can also open your resort room door (after check in). The Halloween party ticket can do anything your MBs can do. So can any of the cards and bands that appear on the Magic Bands and Cards page of your individual MDE profile. They are all clones.

If you know someone who would like to reassign their party entitlement to you, they can do that on their MDE (as long as your MDEs are friends). Once your friend has reassigned the ticket to you, you will see that ticket entitlement on the Reservations and Tickets page of your MDE. However, they will still see the plastic card that once "held" the ticket on their own MDE. So you would then use one of your own MBs or cards (annual pass or any other RFID card linked to your personal profile) to access the entitlement and enter the MK for the party, not the plastic card the ticket was initially linked to. If you tried to enter the party with your friend's original plastic card, you would not get in. The entitlement is no longer on that card. No one can get in with that card.

It's easiest to reassign a party ticket to a profile that has a way of accessing the entitlement -- in other words, to a profile which already has an MB or card on their MDE. If you want to reassign to someone without an MB or card, visit guest services and tell them that you've reassigned the entitlement, but the new owner of the party ticket has no ticket media. The new guest will probably have to show ID to get a new plastic card which will be linked to their own MDE (and therefore to the party entitlement which now resides there).

If you're picking up the tickets with a voucher and would like to reassign, tell the CM at guest services that the guests for whom you bought the tickets won't be using them. You're giving them to other friends. If you don't do that, you'll be given plastic cards that are linked to the people for whom you bought the tickets on your MDE.

Thanks for this info!! I would've been in a mess since I reassigned to people without magic bands or cards!!

Thanks for this info!! I would've been in a mess since I reassigned to people without magic bands or cards!!

Glad it helped. There can always be snafus, even when you've done your best. And it's not uncommon to run into cast members who misunderstand the system -- because it really is complicated.

You do still see the cards under the accounts of the guests to whom they were originally assigned, even after reassignment?

I bought mine in advance and just handed the tickets to my oldest and her friend. They didn't have any problems. I am so glad. I posted on here asking some of these very same questions.

Glad it helped. There can always be snafus, even when you've done your best. And it's not uncommon to run into cast members who misunderstand the system -- because it really is complicated.

You do still see the cards under the accounts of the guests to whom they were originally assigned, even after reassignment?
Yes i checked after reading your post, and the cards are still assigned to the original people while the tickets are assigned to others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter