USA customs question

s u

Mouseketeer
I will be traveling to the orlando from YYZ out of Pearson on Westjet.
I would like to bring some snacks for my 6 year old.
I know there are a lot is restrictions since I will be going through US customs here rather than when we land.
Does anyone know if I can bring cut up cucumber or apple? It would only be as a snack to have on the plane.

• Seafood and perishable items

WestJet does not accept liability for spoilage for any reason including delays.

WestJet will accept perishable items (including floral products, fruit, meat etc.) as part of your checked baggage and/or carry-on baggage allowance. Improperly packaged items will not be accepted for transport in carry-on, checked baggage or cargo. Live fishery products (lobster, crab, etc.) are not allowed on flights to Dublin – all products must be eviscerated, and fishery products including prepared lobsters must not exceed 20 kilograms or one fish per person.

Perishable items must meet the weight and size guidelines, and must also:
    • Be packaged in a leak proof container (e.g. a metal or plastic cooler) that is able to withstand shock, normal handling, vibration, changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure. For this reason, Styrofoam™ coolers will not be accepted as checked baggage.
    • Be marked as "perishable" or "seafood", and have a directional "this side up" arrow. WestJet will also tag the item as "fragile".
    • Use only acceptable coolants which include gel packs and frozen vegetables. Your perishable items cannot be packed with regular ice or brine (which is corrosive).
    Seafood which includes shellfish such as crabs, crayfish, lobsters, mussels, shrimp and ocean plant life (such as kelp) will be accepted on flights (with the exception of Dublin):
    • when packed with protective padding (Styrofoam™ inserts as provided by commercial seafood retailers)
    • when packed with absorbent material between the plastic bag and the inner wall of the outer packaging
    • when cooked, provided it is in a sealed plastic bag before being packed.
    • when live, provided it is accompanied by an acceptable coolant (see above) to keep the shellfish damp during transportation.

• Seafood and perishable items

WestJet does not accept liability for spoilage for any reason including delays.

WestJet will accept perishable items (including floral products, fruit, meat etc.) as part of your checked baggage and/or carry-on baggage allowance. Improperly packaged items will not be accepted for transport in carry-on, checked baggage or cargo. Live fishery products (lobster, crab, etc.) are not allowed on flights to Dublin – all products must be eviscerated, and fishery products including prepared lobsters must not exceed 20 kilograms or one fish per person.

Perishable items must meet the weight and size guidelines, and must also:
    • Be packaged in a leak proof container (e.g. a metal or plastic cooler) that is able to withstand shock, normal handling, vibration, changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure. For this reason, Styrofoam™ coolers will not be accepted as checked baggage.
    • Be marked as "perishable" or "seafood", and have a directional "this side up" arrow. WestJet will also tag the item as "fragile".
    • Use only acceptable coolants which include gel packs and frozen vegetables. Your perishable items cannot be packed with regular ice or brine (which is corrosive).
    Seafood which includes shellfish such as crabs, crayfish, lobsters, mussels, shrimp and ocean plant life (such as kelp) will be accepted on flights (with the exception of Dublin):
    • when packed with protective padding (Styrofoam™ inserts as provided by commercial seafood retailers)
    • when packed with absorbent material between the plastic bag and the inner wall of the outer packaging
    • when cooked, provided it is in a sealed plastic bag before being packed.
    • when live, provided it is accompanied by an acceptable coolant (see above) to keep the shellfish damp during transportation.
Just make sure it's eaten before you land!

You will go through American Customs in Pearson. As soon as you are through there an many places to buy snacks, even fruit, to take on the plane. I figure it gives us something to do the extra 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours you are waiting to load and leave.

Just make sure it's eaten before you land!

Since you pre-clear in Toronto, that doesn't apply here. She'd have to eat them before she checked-in (or, at least, before going through pre-clearance).

ETA - if you read further in the link provided above it says:

Canadian Agricultural Products:
For fruits and vegetables from Canada, consult the FAVIR database.
Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. Fruits and vegetables merely purchased in Canada are not necessarily admissible, i.e. citrus or tropical fruits such as mangos, which clearly were not grown in Canada because it does not have a climate that supports those crops. (Potatoes from western regions of Canada are currently restricted because of a disease outbreak. While commercial imports are permitted under stringent guidelines, travelers from Canada should avoid bringing raw potatoes with them into the U.S.).

So, if you have Canadian grown (not just Canadian purchased) cucumber or apple, you'd be okay.

I always travel on budget airlines out of Pearson. Many are really just flying buses that offer water, salty or sweet snack and that is all. We buy snacks before we board, fruit, juice, sandwiches, muffins etc. As long as you buy it after American customs (there is lots to choose from) you can carry it onto the plane. We have never had any problem. Since we are not checked at the other end, we have never been stopped once we land either.

I just went through in Ottawa. I told the customs guy I had strawberries and asked if I could take them on the plane. I had them in a baggie to throw out if he said no. So the answer is likely maybe.

Definitely agree with C&B Young --- always declare any food (they even consider gum food.) If you've declared them the worst they'll do is ask you to throw them away.

We now try to buy our snacks after we clear customs as we know people who have had their stuff thrown away (and once you're on the plane there's not many healthy options.) Most airports now offer cut veggies and fruits in their take out shops so we give our son a pre-set amount to spend and he gets to pick his (healthy) snack from the shop. It actually is one more thing that we do to keep him busy while we're waiting since you have to be there so early before US bound flights. As an added bonus it's one more opportunity we have to teach him about making good snack choices (when presented with tons of over-processes, over-salted, over-sweetened, and junky options.)

Definitely agree with C&B Young --- always declare any food (they even consider gum food.) If you've declared them the worst they'll do is ask you to throw them away.

We now try to buy our snacks after we clear customs as we know people who have had their stuff thrown away (and once you're on the plane there's not many healthy options.) Most airports now offer cut veggies and fruits in their take out shops so we give our son a pre-set amount to spend and he gets to pick his (healthy) snack from the shop. It actually is one more thing that we do to keep him busy while we're waiting since you have to be there so early before US bound flights. As an added bonus it's one more opportunity we have to teach him about making good snack choices (when presented with tons of over-processes, over-salted, over-sweetened, and junky options.)

Just want to clarify... we cross the border and we fly out of Buffalo (often cheaper flights). After we cross the border, can we buy fruit at a grocery store in Buffalo and take on flight with us to MCO? I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' but don't want to do something I shouldn't be doing. Probably a silly question but I'm definitely a 'rule follower' and I've seen Border Security :scared:I do NOT want to get in trouble:rolleyes1 Thanks:-)

If there's one thing I've learned from watching Border Security, it's to declare what you have. If it's not allowed they'll make you throw it out, no harm done. Don't declare a prohibited item though, then you're looking at big fines!
yeah I third or fourth that whatever we are on.

We always bring snacks for the kids and this is what I have learned....ALWAYS declare what you are bringing, food-wise (one border guy told me there is a $500 fine for undeclared food), and never bring citrus (oranges, etc) - they will throw it out. We always bring fruit and have been asked every single time if there is any citrus amongst the fruit.

Just don't bring any fruit into the US, not just citrus. Throw out any food you have left over on the plane (such as sandwiches and fruit; packaged snacks are okay) before landing to be safe.

OP, I am amazed that your 6 year old will eat cucumbers, especially as a snack!

Just don't bring any fruit into the US, not just citrus. Throw out any food you have left over on the plane (such as sandwiches and fruit; packaged snacks are okay) before landing to be safe.

Since the OP goes through US customs at the home airport (before getting on the plane), there is no need (or use) to throw out leftover food on the plane.

:offtopic: (wish that little guy didn't look so miserable!) I teach Grades 1 and 2, and we have healthy snack every morning. A fair number of little ones bring cucumber (especially with Ranch dip) for their snack. I had one with a complete meltdown last week, though, because his mom had salted the cukes. We convinced him to rinse them after 5 minutes of his wailing.

It is so easy to just declare everything. We have never had to throw anything away. But I never bring anything I know for sure can't go across.
As for the cucumbers... All my kids love them. My oldest has cucumber sandwiches for lunch all the time. The others like them with dip.

Just want to clarify... we cross the border and we fly out of Buffalo (often cheaper flights). After we cross the border, can we buy fruit at a grocery store in Buffalo and take on flight with us to MCO? I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' but don't want to do something I shouldn't be doing. Probably a silly question but I'm definitely a 'rule follower' and I've seen Border Security :scared:I do NOT want to get in trouble:rolleyes1 Thanks:-)

You're definitely OK if you're shopping in Buffalo and then taking it on a domestic flight within the US --- since you're not going through the Canada/US border with the fruit.

I'm a 'rule follower' too and don't want to have issues when we're travelling.

Years ago, my husband and I were flying from Ottawa to Orlando for a cruise. The weather was bad, and forecast to get worse. So we decided to go to the airport early to see if we could get out on an earlier flight. We left in a hurry and grabbed whatever was in the kitchen to eat in the departures lounge, since we were anticipating a long wait. US customs at Canadian airports was a relatively new thing at that time, and I guess it didn't really occur to us that we would essentially be "in the US" before we ever left Ottawa airport. So we got to customs, and declared our orange, and the customs agent promptly confiscated it. Which wasn't a big deal, but it struck us as funny, because it was a Florida orange. In fairness, I can't remember if there was a label on it that showed it was a Florida orange, but I don't think it would have mattered. Apparently once Florida oranges leave the country, there's no coming back. :rolleyes:

We just drove across the border on the 13th...we were able to keep our cut up cucumbers and carrots but not our oranges. As a fruit grower I know it doesn't make sense but there are diseases and pests that could potentially be on the fruit that could infest US crops. Some countries treat for them or ban import/export of those fruits, some do not, so it is safer for the border to limit all oranges, rather then try and figure out which country Canada imported your particular orange from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter