• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

US Olympic athlete with Mexican flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl:One of my best friends is a University Professor of Italian Heritage. You wouldn't necessarily know it, because he doesn't feel the need to wear it on his sleeve. He respects the opinion of a culinary school graduate we both know (who is not of Italian heritage) on how to properly make the best mushroom risotto this side of Turin. None of us intimdate the other, because we share a common love of the same things.

But I'm sure we all feel sorry for those who feel the need to wallow in their identity.

Well, I don't like mushrooms so I would also defer to your friend who is a culinary school graduate, who also happens to be friends with your best friend who is a University Professor of Italian Heritage.

I swear, the threads that take off on the Disboards. Who cares??? He's free to do as he pleases, he is proud of his heritage, yet honors his home country. I'm sure if an american of german heritage was holding the German flag it would be a non-issue.

The whole 'but he's part of the US team' thing misses something. Mostly, people have no choice at all BUT to be part of their national team if they want to compete in the Olympics.

If I were in the Olympics, I'd be stuck in Team USA gear, even though in my regular life I would never wear anything like that. It's not like they athletes are all choosing to be on the team because they want to be - they may want to go to the Olympics and have no option.

Hence, I don't think it's really the same standard to hold them to to say they shouldn't hold another country's flag because they're there for Team USA. They may just be on Team USA by default.

You speak as if these people have no choice, as if they must go to the Olympics. Last I looked, it was a choice they make if they want to train for the olympics. (well in the US, maybe not so true in other countries years ago). The olympics is a country type competition, you walk in as a country, you wear your countrie's clothing. You have probably used the US olympic funds to get you there. I don't remember them playing your individual song you happen to prefer if you win the gold medal. Personally, I want someone to go to the olympics who is proud to represent the US and I believe the people of the US deserve that. If not, train for something else. I understand being proud of your heritage but in a talking head, speak how you feel. Tell those in your other country what they can accomplish with hard work but don't carry two flags if only one country sent you there. Let me know who's paying for his plane fare, his room over there, his food over there, etc. I can betcha he's not but the US Olympic team is. Maybe Mexico should chip in?

To the person who said some don't understand those who have different cultures, my mother was not a US citizen. Actually she is from Great Britian. Should I have been running with 2 flags? I don't think so. My daughter was in the junior olympics, went to an olympic training camp more than once and let me tell you, those athletes want for nothing. They have wonderful rooms to sleep in, they certainly aren't running on a track that they have to dig rocks out of (as was shown the other night on tv), they have the best gymnastics equipment, they are fed very well, watched by nutritionist, doctors, physical therapists, etc. Paid for by the olympic committee representing the US. Being proud of a country that you were born in or your parents came from is great, but when another country is providing for you to obtain your goal and possible future income with endorsements,etc...it was in poor taste.

Next time, I suggest he pay for his own training and march in with those few people under the independent group during opening ceremonies.

I swear, the threads that take off on the Disboards. Who cares??? He's free to do as he pleases, he is proud of his heritage, yet honors his home country. I'm sure if an american of german heritage was holding the German flag it would be a non-issue.

Oh please - so sick and tired of people thinking it has anything to do with the fact it was a Mexican flag. That is such a racist remark. I don't give a rat's *** if it was Mexican, Guatemalan, French or Irish. It was in very poor taste to say he represented another country as well as the US.

You speak as if these people have no choice, as if they must go to the Olympics. Last I looked, it was a choice they make if they want to train for the olympics. (well in the US, maybe not so true in other countries years ago). The olympics is a country type competition, you walk in as a country, you wear your countrie's clothing. You have probably used the US olympic funds to get you there. I don't remember them playing your individual song you happen to prefer if you win the gold medal. Personally, I want someone to go to the olympics who is proud to represent the US and I believe the people of the US deserve that. If not, train for something else. I understand being proud of your heritage but in a talking head, speak how you feel. Tell those in your other country what they can accomplish with hard work but don't carry two flags if only one country sent you there. Let me know who's paying for his plane fare, his room over there, his food over there, etc. I can betcha he's not but the US Olympic team is. Maybe Mexico should chip in?

To the person who said some don't understand those who have different cultures, my mother was not a US citizen. Actually she is from Great Britian. Should I have been running with 2 flags? I don't think so. My daughter was in the junior olympics, went to an olympic training camp more than once and let me tell you, those athletes want for nothing. They have wonderful rooms to sleep in, they certainly aren't running on a track that they have to dig rocks out of (as was shown the other night on tv), they have the best gymnastics equipment, they are fed very well, watched by nutritionist, doctors, physical therapists, etc. Paid for by the olympic committee representing the US. Being proud of a country that you were born in or your parents came from is great, but when another country is providing for you to obtain your goal and possible future income with endorsements,etc...it was in poor taste.

Next time, I suggest he pay for his own training and march in with those few people under the independent group during opening ceremonies.

I said they have no choice if they want to compete in the Olympics. For many athletes in many disciplines, that's the ultimate goal - what they work for their entire lives. To say 'nah, won't go because I'm not proud enough of the country I happen to be a citizen of" seems antithetical to the Olympic spirit to me.

There's a woman running with the Ethiopian delegation who is married to a Swedish man and wanted to run with the Swedish team (and was able to by Sweden and IOC rules). Ethiopia took her passport and refused to allow it. So she chose to participate rather than not. :confused3 It's about sport, not country, imo.

You speak as if these people have no choice, as if they must go to the Olympics. Last I looked, it was a choice they make if they want to train for the olympics. (well in the US, maybe not so true in other countries years ago). The olympics is a country type competition, you walk in as a country, you wear your countrie's clothing.

Well, sort of. Representation by country provides the organisational structure for the Olympics, but the Olympics Charter explicitly states that the Olympic Games are NOT competitions between countries. Individuals may well decide they are running for their country above all else, but the IOC doesn't see it that way.

Oh please - so sick and tired of people thinking it has anything to do with the fact it was a Mexican flag. That is such a racist remark. I don't give a rat's (edited) if it was Mexican, Guatemalan, French or Irish. It was in very poor taste to say he represented another country as well as the US.

De Nile. It's not just a river in Egypt. As for the charge of racism, there's nothing racist in pointing out that much of the uproar is because of the particular other flag he held rather than the fact he held one.

and that bottom line is why I asked if it was a flag of Canada or Switzerland or something not so controversial would it even be an issue.

It wouldn't. But everyone will claim it still would be now that it has been pointed out whether that claim is true or not. Those bent out of shape about it wanted to be bent out of shape about it.

De Nile. It's not just a river in Egypt. As for the charge of racism, there's nothing racist in pointing out that much of the uproar is because of the particular other flag he held rather than the fact he held one.

You know I'm really not sure I've ever seen a more inflammatory remark here on the Dis. You realize that you are saying that anyone who has a problem with this is because it's a Mexican flag? So we're all racist? WOW! Guess I better cancel my Christmas Tamale Making tradition with my Mexican Father In Law's family. Oh, and tell his Mexican immigrant dad who thinks it was inappropriate that he's a racist.

Seriously. I don't have anything "in a wad". The question was asked, and I posted my opinion. Do I really care? No, not really. But I do think it was inappropriate. And when people asked why, I said why. De Nile? Check the mirror.

It's clear to anyone with at least half a brain that isn't prejudiced, he loves the United States and wasn't attempting to dishonor it in any way. Other than the technical violation of flag code that every track athlete that medals does and which we rightly overlook rather than get miffed about, there's nothing wrong at all. And if the worst picture you have is the guy unfurling the American flag proudly and also holding the Mexican flag dangling, you've got nothing. But for some, the sight of anything Mexican brings out the hate like red capes bring out the bulls.

And that I truly believe is the real problem. (the bolded section)

Last time I checked, people do pay for their own training. Their parents take second and third jobs in order to have the money.

If he wants to march in with 2 flags, I have no problem with that.

He is proud of his heritage!!

Why? I don't care if he had the flag for Alpha Centauri in his hand. I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Many have said similar statements. Do you think we're lying?

ChiCat said:

And in my case, you would 100% WRONG! I doubt I'm the only one.

Why? I don't care if he had the flag for Alpha Centauri in his hand. I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Many have said similar statements. Do you think we're lying?

Yes. They think we're lying. It's very easy to sit back and call people racist, because there's nothing you can say back. I mean, what do you say? "Some of my best friends are Mexican"? You can't win. It doesn't matter what you say. What most people don't realize is that it only makes the problem of racism (which is a very real issue) worse to have all of these people screaming it at every opportunity. My husband is Apache with a bit of Mexican, but the tribe he is from is from South Western US. So there is a heavy Mexican heritage as well. We make tamales at Christmas, rice and beans are a staple, and when we got married I had to learn to make my own tortillas. God forbid I bring home a box of Ortega taco shells. And for a Southern girl from NC, that was a change. My background is Collard Greens and Blackeyed Peas. There is racism, especially where I am from, against Mexicans. But to paint with such a broad brush is destructive. These people that are being so accusatory, they aren't listening. Which, unfortunately, makes them the same as the people they THINK we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter