US cell phones / Calling cards

chipndalefan

Mouseketeer
Im thinking of getting either a US cell phone or a phone card for calling back to the UK, but dont know where to start!

Can I call from a payphone or the disney hotel room with a calling card?

Would a cell phone be cheaper?

What do you guys recommend?

we have a $10 at&t card from walmart that has lasted us nearly 2 weeks with 20 min phone calls home, its 10c a min and we use it from the hotel room

When we got here it had $16 left on it as it was one from last year

Im thinking of getting either a US cell phone or a phone card for calling back to the UK, but dont know where to start!

Can I call from a payphone or the disney hotel room with a calling card?

Would a cell phone be cheaper?

What do you guys recommend?

From your hotel room just dial 9 for an outside line and then type in the number on the back of your phone card. We had the same card as orangetiggs from Walmart. Whatever you do don't buy a phone card from Disney (see other thread for details).

We have just bought the LG400 Net 10 phones - three of them. We got them off ebay for less than it would have cost us to get them from Walmart. They come all ready to go with a sim card that is loaded with $30 worth of calls and texts.
To be honest I don't know if they will call the UK, as the reason we have bought them is for using over there for when we get split up into 3 groups.
If it is urgent that we call the UK then cost wont be an issue - but if we want to call for a sociable chat then we will use Skype on the laptop :thumbsup2

ETA - DW looked in the manual and international calling starts at 15cents per minute :)

We have just bought the LG600 (I think - DW will edit if I am wrong lol) Net 10 phones - three of them. We got them off ebay for less than it would have cost us to get them from Walmart. They come all ready to go with a sim card that is loaded with $30 worth of calls and texts.
To be honest I don't know if they will call the UK, as the reason we have bought them is for using over there for when we get split up into 3 groups.
If it is urgent that we call the UK then cost wont be an issue - but if we want to call for a sociable chat then we will use Skype on the laptop :thumbsup2

We bought 2 of these and have just come back from DW. We still have minutes left on both of them, but they do have an expiry date on the minutes, (I think it's 60 days), but as SIL is going out in a couple of weeks, we will give them to her to use.
Pro's were:-
1) they were quite neat, and light
2) you can use them to text or call each other in the parks or out and about, so when we separated we were able to keep in touch
3) you can call home to a landline, but not a mobile.
Con's were:-
1) we were constantly receiving odd texts, eg "I still remember the money you owe me" with no name; so I don't know if it's some kind of scam that if you reply you lose all your credit:confused3 We just ignored them
2) as soon as you dial, they start deducting minutes, so if you dial a wrong no, even if it doesn't connect, you lose the minutes. We still had loads left though, so it's not a big problem
3) When we dialled the UK, it didn't always work. It sometimes took 2 or 3 attempts, so that was frustrating!
4) I thought you would be able to text a mobile at home, even if you couldn't phone, but that wasn't the case. You can't connect with mobiles in the UK at all.
Having said that, we found them useful, and will take them with us next time and just top up with new airtime.

Jules x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter